School sued over WiFi health concerns

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, take a look here:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scite...tv_031111.html

Looks like some angry (and overly paranoid) parents are suing the school district because they're afraid of WiFi causing harmful effects on their kids. The guy they interview even makes his kids leave the room when they turn on the access points, so they can go into the library and use wired machines which are most likely connected to radiation-emitting CRTs rather than the radiation-free LCD screens of the iBooks.

This is so typical too. The parents probably don't know the first thing about WiFi, and yet they get all riled up and sue-happy as soon as they hear about a few studies that say bad things about it. Gimme a break!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    They're probably just pissed off because the district didn't bow to his little list of paranoid anti-tech websites... er, I'm sorry "credible sources."

"Your honor, as you can see in the film "Johnny Mnemonic" wireless devices cause cancer and the destruction of society."

Does anyone know if any of the studies the parents were concerned with had anything to do with Apple's AirPort system, or were they WiFi in general? Also, are they sueing for money or for the removal of AirPort? If they're sueing for money than screw 'em, they're not really worried about their kids well-being. If they're sueing for the removal of the devices then they just need their concerns addressed.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Also don't computers themselfs emit radiation? Think of all those cheap and nasty PC cases and the people that leave the sides of their cases getting dosed up. Then theres mobile phones, power lines, microwave ovens etc. Surely you cant go after one particular device when your house and street is radiating your brain. And what about all those TV and radio waves thats subversly making us do things we dont want to do?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I am quite sure it's the WiFi technology they're opposed to. The parent they interviewed cites a few studies on the issue and I'm sure they are studying WiFi in general and not Airport specifically. I think it's just a coincidence that Airport happens to be what the school uses, in conjunction with the iBooks.

From carefully reading the article I wasn't able to determine exactly what the parents were suing for but it looks like they want the school to offer a choice so parents can decide whether their children use the mobile labs or the wired labs. What I don't completely understand is why he says that "parents want choice" when they already have choice - he has chosen to send his kids into the library whenever WiFi is being used, and the school is letting him do that. Conversely, eliminating WiFi in the school is eliminating choice. I mean, even if the school "officially" offered a choice for parents, how many would voluntarily choose to confine their kids to the library's computer lab whenever an activity with computers was scheduled? I bet this guy's kids would still be alone in the library.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I wonder how many of this kids got cell phones?

...stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    This sounds somewhat like when people in the 20s and 30s thought radio waves would kill 'em
  • Reply 6 of 30
    aside from luca, what a bunch of ignorant knee-jerk comments.

as a parent of two children in the oak park school system i agree that WiFi when used properly is safe, but that doesn't excuse the school board from ignoring parents concerns. hence the lawsuit.

you're right luca, most parents don't know squat about WiFi which is why the school board should tend to parents questions. they've read somewhere that it might not be safe, the school district should address parents fears by explaining the system and tell them that all the safety requirements are in fact being met. but maybe the teacher doesn't know little johnny's brain should be kept eight feet away from the airport module, i certainly didn't know it until i read the link.

i know when you're young you think you're bulletproof, that's why you have parents.

and i realize that people at times have had invalid concerns about harmful effects from new technology in the past, but if i was one of those soldiers exposed to radiation in the fifties, while being told by your government that you were "safe", well i wish someone would have been on my side.

i have to go back to watching "johnny mnemonic" to find more dangers to society.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

aside from luca, what a bunch of ignorant knee-jerk comments.

as a parent of two children in the oak park school system i agree that WiFi when used properly is safe, but that doesn't excuse the school board from ignoring parents concerns. hence the lawsuit.

you're right luca, most parents don't know squat about WiFi which is why the school board should tend to parents questions. they've read somewhere that it might not be safe, the school district should address parents fears by explaining the system and tell them that all the safety requirements are in fact being met. but maybe the teacher doesn't know little johnny's brain should be kept eight feet away from the airport module, i certainly didn't know it until i read the link.

i know when you're young you think you're bulletproof, that's why you have parents.

and i realize that people at times have had invalid concerns about harmful effects from new technology in the past, but if i was one of those soldiers exposed to radiation in the fifties, while being told by your government that you were "safe", well i wish someone would have been on my side.

i have to go back to watching "johnny mnemonic" to find more dangers to society.

few points:

Is it unsafe? Let's assume bs must be at least 8" away, is it not in that particular situation?

Why are those people suing school? Is it because it's not implemented correctly? or is it because they were not informed of that?

Will you consider suing schools because they sell diet beverages containing aspartame? It's is believed to have very bad effects on your health. How about other junk your kids can buy at school?

I'm not saying that parents should be blind if their kids are in harms way, but if it is all done correctly, why the lawsuit?

You know what, i think i will sue my company as we use wireless devices too, ah and Starbucks too, since they expose me to it, without my consent.

from the article:

Quote:

FDA and Federal Communications Commission say SAR rates for 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz Wi-Fi hubs are well within the acceptable safety range.

So basically this is not about safety, but about choice, even if that does not make too much sense.

And that's why i said it was stupid.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I wouldnt say ignorant

I mean, if the parents are so afraid about the safety of these things then they also need to address the same idea about overhead powerlines which can cause lukemia. How many of those things run close to your house or their school? How long does your kid use a landline/mobile phone for? What would be more productive would be to ask your council/governer for an inquiry to determin just how dangerous these are to youngsters on a more scientific issue.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

few points:

I'm not saying that parents should be blind if their kids are in harms way, but if it is all done correctly, why the lawsuit?

they are suing because they were ignored by the school board about their concerns. it's in the second paragraph of the story. if the school district would have opened a dialog with the parents a lawsuit may have been avoided.

so if you can't read and ask questions that the story answers, then i guess that would make you lacking knowledge, or ignorant.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

This sounds somewhat like when people in the 20s and 30s thought radio waves would kill 'em

Yes it reach the same level of stupidity and let's say ignorance. I suggest to ban all radio emitters, ban all micro waves ovens, ban all cell phones, all wireless devices, all TV emissions and i suggest to ban all cosmic radiations especially in the microwave spectrum.

I suggest that all this brillant people live in a deep cave one thousand feets under the rock
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

they are suing because they were ignored by the school board about their concerns. it's in the second paragraph of the story. if the school district would have opened a dialog with the parents a lawsuit may have been avoided.

so if you can't read and ask questions that the story answers, then i guess that would make you lacking knowledge, or ignorant.

Hey, don't get too exited as this can pose a health risk as well

If you are referring to that:

Quote:

Ron Baiman, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, says the Oak Park school board ignored his and other parents' questions about wireless's potential dangers

don't you think it's not enough to conclude that school board didn't do anything? You hear one side of the story and get angry, i can understand that you have kids and you sympathize with these guys, but it would be nice to hear other side of the conflict too.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Why would the schoolboard open a dialogue with these parents? Their concern is nonsense. People whose points of view have no merit don't deserve the attention of school leaders who are already often underpaid and always overworked.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Hmm 8' away...is that for all wireless stations? I have to wonder if that is open space or if it can be less if it has to run through material because I have my basestation 3-4 feet from our G4. Also wouldn't it then be similarly dangerous to be that close to a computer with a wireless card? How about sheet of tin foil on that side of my router so that it blocks the waves from hitting that person? I'm not saying I'm worried about that, but does make me wonder if I should take concern for those family members who sit by the G4.

Also the powerlines in my neighborhood are underground Also good for not loosing power as much.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Why would the schoolboard open a dialogue with these parents? Their concern is nonsense. People whose points of view have no merit don't deserve the attention of school leaders who are already often underpaid and always overworked.

Even if the parents' position was "nonsense" and had "no merit," it's still the responsibility of the school to address the concerns of the parents. After all, their children are going to the school so the least the school can do is show the parents that the FCC has approved wireless routers and has shown that you're fine as long as you stay 8 inches away (it's 8 inches, not 8 feet).

I agree that school employees are underpaid and overworked, but this is a major part of their job. Simmer down, Kirkland.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Even if the parents' position was "nonsense" and had "no merit," it's still the responsibility of the school to address the concerns of the parents. After all, their children are going to the school so the least the school can do is show the parents that the FCC has approved wireless routers and has shown that you're fine as long as you stay 8 inches away (it's 8 inches, not 8 feet).

So if you plop down your 12" PB or iBook right up against an AirPort Base Station and sit in front of it, you're safe. You'd have to be sleeping on it in order to cause any potential harm.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ethar

So if you plop down your 12" PB or iBook right up against an AirPort Base Station and sit in front of it, you're safe. You'd have to be sleeping on it in order to cause any potential harm.

god, you just don't get it!

this isn't about the safety of WiFi as much as it is a school districts failure to engage parents in what's going on at school. most school systems would be delirious to have parental involvement.

if it was school prayer, or tainted food in the cafeteria and the school district was stonewalling, you don't think there would be lawsuits flying?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

god, you just don't get it!

this isn't about the safety of WiFi as much as it is a school districts failure to engage parents in what's going on at school. most school systems would be delirious to have parental involvement.

if it was school prayer, or tainted food in the cafeteria and the school district was stonewalling, you don't think there would be lawsuits flying?

Here's how it works:

School board: "We got a letter from parents about WiFi concerns and they want to talk to us."

School board Lawyers: "don't talk to them because it could go poorly"

School board: "Well, we want to talk to them anyway."

School board: "What seems to be the problem?"

Parent1: "We are scared about electromagnetic waves and the impact that they have on our children. How do we know that WiFi is safe"

Parent2: "While we're at it, we are concerned about the presence of carcinogens in the food. How do we know that the food is safe?"

Parent3: "On a similar topic, we are concerned about the impact that certain detergents have in promoting allergic reactions. How do we know that the school is safe?"

Parent4: "I am worried that the school will not teach my child how to live a good life and that he will follow my poor example. How do we know that the teaching is correct?"

Parent5: "Gangs, guns, drugs. Please prove that no such things exist."

Parent6: "Anthrax, Botulin, VX, Plauge, Sarin, Ebola. What does this school do to guard itself against bioterror?"

And so it goes. I don't blame the school for ignoring complaints that it is incapable of researching. What is the school supposed to do? Carry out a multi year research program to determine the effects of WiFi on monkeys? The difference is that the parents don't go to the school board and ask them to conduct basic research to determine if milk is good for students or not. Schools don't do stuff like that because they can't afford to. Schools trust the manufacturers who get electronic equipment certified and that is ALL that they should do.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    A single consumer quality basestation has a 3-5 dB antenna amplified by 30-50 milliwatts. That is nothing to be worried about. Your TV emits a whole lot more radiation than that. Hell, big UHF TV station transmitters probably emit more radiation that that over large distances.

I've amped my basestation to 130 mW with an 8 dB antenna. I'll post an update when my balls fall off.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    You hit the nail on the head there yev m8.

This is just a blatent case of over excited parents on a witch hunt trying to vent off some built up anger and stress. I mean whats next, Sueing the council because their kids slipped on some leaves.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I'm sitting about a foot and a half from my wireless router right now. Now I'm moving it closer to me. I hope I don't get cancer.

I'm aware that the article is about parents being ignored, but it all stems from the fact that these parents are ignorant about this amazing technology. It's sad. They just need something to do, so they sue people. It's the American soccer mom way. Keep up the good work and soon we won't have computers in school, or at home, no TV, no microwaves. It's retarded. These people need a brain, and a life.