Stupid jackass pc user - myTunes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5107...l?tag=nefd_top

I knew this would happen, but can't people leave things alone and not ruin a good thing for everyone? It's like that kid in your class who goes crazy during recess and makes everyone lose out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    When does the Mac version come out?

Yeah actually this is probably a bad thing but like he says it really isn't that big a deal, though without pirate apps like these I bet Apple wouldn't have killed IP iTUnes sharing.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    Quote:

For his part, Zeller said on his Web site that he expects that MyTunes users will not do anything illegal with the software.

"And remember, copyright infringement is illegal," he says at the bottom of the page. "If you have any question whether what you're doing constitutes an infringement, visit the RIAA's great antipiracy Web site."

Jackass is right.

• Reply 3 of 82
    Humm well if you don't like it... do not download it.

Now if someone would only do something useful with iTunes... like port it to linux. Then I would jump out of my seat. Yah I know a true native port would need the source code but one can dream,
  • Reply 4 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Humm well if you don't like it... do not download it.

Now if someone would only do something useful with iTunes... like port it to linux. Then I would jump out of my seat. Yah I know a true native port would need the source code but one can dream,

You don't get it, do you? I don't care either way, but it surely has the potential to ruin rendezvous sharing for the rest of us. That's the point.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It is not people writing software like DVD rippers and iTunes sharing programs that are "ruining it for everyone".

Big cartels who seek to dominate and control media, such as the RIAA and the MPAA, are forcing smaller companies like Apple to shut down ways of copying and sharing files (in exchange for marginal co-operation). Remember, these same companies tried to shut down the Rio, the first MP3 player. They dont' give a fück about the degree of sharing, if they could stop ALL sharing, INCLUDING the standard iTunes streaming, they WOULD.

Now get a clue.

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 82
    Penisive is right. He is a Jackass. If I can't do iTunes sharing anymore heads are gonna roll.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

You don't get it, do you? I don't care either way, but it surely has the potential to ruin rendezvous sharing for the rest of us. That's the point.

oh.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

I will personally strangle whoever is the cause of iTUnes losing rendevous. That feature means the world to me and how I listen to my music!
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It is not people writing software like DVD rippers and iTunes sharing programs that are "ruining it for everyone".

Big cartels who seek to dominate and control media, such as the RIAA and the MPAA, are forcing smaller companies like Apple to shut down ways of copying and sharing files (in exchange for marginal co-operation). Remember, these same companies tried to shut down the Rio, the first MP3 player. They dont' give a fück about the degree of sharing, if they could stop ALL sharing, INCLUDING the standard iTunes streaming, they WOULD.

Now get a clue.

Barto

The rules of the game are such that we've got to follow them. With iTunes streaming, we had a GREAT way to share in others' musical tastes WHILE being on the right side of the law (legally and ethically). This person is a jackass because he's got the potential to ruin it for us. And I can't say I'd blame Apple if they did pull rendezvous sharing because of this. It's not about stealing music, it's about getting a chance to explore others' tastes. People that use this technology (rendezvous sharing) and contort it to suit their selfish motives ARE ruining it for everyone else.

I do have a clue. I like recess.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Mods, maybe we should merge this thread with this thread? They seem to be talking about the same stuff. I propose we leave the thread in GD, though, as it's more about the technology than the software itself.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I will personally strangle whoever is the cause of iTUnes losing rendevous. That feature means the world to me and how I listen to my music!

Strangle the lobby groups, the politicians that give them power and the corporations that fund them when it happens, not the Scapegoat Of The Week?.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Quote:

The rules of the game are such that we've got to follow them.

Stop being a jackass yourself and get a clue. Not only do 60 million Americans file share, but the ability to transfer music over a personal network has many uses, not just sharing files with others. I know I sync music all the time between my Mac and my PC (most of it ripped from "real" CDs too, before you ask), and myShare makes it easier to keep track (pardon the pun) of what music I need to transfer between computers.

Also, what's the difference between having one copy or two on the network? WHERE DO YOU GET OFF moralising to me on SEMANTICS.

ALSO, the rules of the game are twisted and self-serving. We don't have to follow them and they should be changed.

Barto
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quote:

Stop being a jackass yourself and get a clue. Not only do 60 million Americans file share, but the ability to transfer music over a personal network has many uses, not just sharing files with others. I know I sync music all the time between my Mac and my PC (most of it ripped from "real" CDs too, before you ask), and myShare makes it easier to keep track (pardon the pun) of what music I need to transfer between computers.

Also, what's the difference between having one copy or two on the network? WHERE DO YOU GET OFF moralising to me on SEMANTICS.

ALSO, the rules of the game are twisted and self-serving. We don't have to follow them and they should be changed.

Barto

I think you need to take it down a notch or two. I'm not moralizing. If you would calmly read this thread and my points when I started it, you'd realize I'm not lambasting file sharers, I'm calling the idiot who made the program a jackass for giving the RIAA a reason to shut down what has been a great benefit of iTunes.

I don't know where you're reading in my posts that file sharing is bad and that I'm against it, but maybe it's that Aussies take offense easier than they should.

Chill out.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Quote:

I'm calling the idiot who made the program a jackass for giving the RIAA a reason to shut down what has been a great benefit of iTunes.

Like I said, blame the RIAA who are making life harder, not the developer who is making life easier. You simply CAN'T avoid the RIAA - and all the other copyright cartels - by giving in at every turn to try and keep hold of your remaining freedoms. Because they will try and take them too, eventually.

Quote:

I don't know where you're reading in my posts that file sharing is bad and that I'm against it

"WHILE being on the right side of the law (legally and ethically)" is where I got it. Specifically, the "ethically" part.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make anti-Australian slurs that here could land you in the Human Rights Court.

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:

Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make anti-Australian slurs that here could land you in the Human Rights Court.

Barto

Yeah, I'm sure he's really worried about that, chief.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    torifile/pensieve, I don't think you quite understand the simplicity of downloading files via daap. It's not like this guy hax0red into iTunes and made some huge changes. It's Apple's responsibility to keep the RIAA off its back. It's a big juicy piece of bait. This kid isn't a prick for taking it...no more than the next guy.

So it'll force Apple to secure the music sharing process...it's not going to make sharing go away altogether.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clayton Magnet

Yeah, I'm sure he's really worried about that, chief.

I'm not threatening him, I'm not a moron. I'm just pointing out that, contrary to popular belief, we are generally a civilized lot down here.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    Eugene, you are right, but apple might take a different approach, and just can it.

Or and that may not be perfect, allow streaming only to authorized computers.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Eugene, you are right, but apple might take a different approach, and just can it.

Or and that may not be perfect, allow streaming only to authorized computers.

for music that doesnt have FairPlay?

doesn't make sense
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Now if someone would only do something useful with iTunes... like port it to linux. Then I would jump out of my seat. Yah I know a true native port would need the source code but one can dream

while not a real port, but rather one done in a black box, some linux head did write something of an iTunes for linux. I use it. It's not quite perfect yet, but the cvs version does build and play pretty well. And it looks a bit like iTunes. And, coincidentally, it is named 'MyTunes'. There was another one, called xTunes i think, that was shut down because it resembled iTunes too much.