Ridiculous,to say the least...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by horse28

Check out this thing by Sony.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/34005.html

Ridiculous,to say the least...

What the hell were they thinking? It's not portable and it's not powerful enough to be a desktop? Sometimes Sony can be incredibly stupid.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Excuse me while I vomit, eat the vomit, and vomit again.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.The thing weighs a ton,but the specs are,well...forgettable.PC makers think that just copying Apple will result in Apple coolness and/or quality.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Someone needs to email the designer a link to the 17" PowerBook.

OR KILL HIM.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I'm voting for the second option.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Er... Guys. Scroll down and look at the 0.4-0.8 inch notebook. Thats much more interesting. I was really hoping Apple was going to reduce the form-factor of its pro-laptops in Paris. Though, with the G5 now 'in the picture' (as opposed to most definitely not in the picture), that seems a bit silly: any changes in chassis and miniaturisation will come with the G5.

Thin is beautiful. If Sony can squash stuff into something that small, I want Apple to do it better.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Er...if you read the article again,you will see that they didn't fit anything into a .4" thin case.The internals are actually contained within the back of the LCD screen.This thing suc.ks big time.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by horse28

Er...if you read the article again,you will see that they didn't fit anything into a .4" thin case.The internals are actually contained within the back of the LCD screen.This thing suc.ks big time.

Er...scroll down and get up to speed.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    How the world did they put a 20GB HD in that thing? I guess it fits in the rear portion that's only .8" (or less) thick?

WOWzas!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I was talking about the first one,the PCV-P101.The other one,while slim,doesn't have a lot of features either,and there isn't much that you can do with a 20 GB hard drive nowadays...I mean just my Home directory weighs in at almost 30 gigs.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

I mean just my Home directory weighs in at almost 30 gigs.

thats alot of pr0n.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...and jobs wants to make his company like this?

Look at the slim...it's specs all but suck and it's $2772!

My 15" AlBook is amazingly better then that and only .5" thicker

...though 5x heavier

Steve said he wants apple to be more like Sony, it would seem Sony wants to be more like Apple with emphasis on design (well...they tried at least) and crippling hardware.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

quote:

I mean just my Home directory weighs in at almost 30 gigs.

thats alot of pr0n.

A lot of movies,actually...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    You guys are all on crack...

I really like Sonys new notebook. I admire the effort sony put into it.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

You guys are all on crack...

I really like Sonys new notebook. I admire the effort sony put into it.

Scroll UP and see what WE'RE talking about. You wear your pc-loving nature on your sleeve...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    The notebook is impressive, the "desktop" is not.

Since none of you have done mechanical design for an electronics device, as far as I know, none of you know just how hard it is to get things to fit. I imagine that they had to do a lot of work to get low profile LSI's and re-arrange circuits in very creative ways.

The desktop, well, is a piece of shit.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    although current hardware, it's not Apple current hardware.

moving to general discussion.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    The notebook is typical of the current crop of sub 1 kilogram machines coming out of Japan. They bend over backwards to get the weight down. You wind up with a machine which is barely usable but it is very portable. Probably rather fragile too. Note the lack of a decent graphics card, graphics memory shared with main memory, no optical drive, minimal CPU power, tiny HD, minimal battery life.

I see executives using these things. They are very light so they are easy to tuck into a pouch or briefcase. They use them to display powerpoints on LCD projectors and to check a little email.

At Sony's site the have more details. The battery life actually sounds not too terrible. They have a Lithium battery, 2.0 Amp-Hrs. They claim 2.5 to 4 hours of use. Many other computers of this size only offered 45 minutes of life - a glorified UPS.

Once cool thing is that the SP version of the subnote is made of carbon fiber. Is this the first carbon fiber notebook computer?

The Desktop is bizarre. A 17" PB would be a far better choice.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I think the laptop is attractively styled.

Of all its specs, the shared VRAM is the most heinous of sins. Screw intel's i820 chipset.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That desktop looks like a cheap ripoff of the 20th Anniversary Mac.

A very cheap ripoff.