Senate Legislation to Make Pirating Films a Felony

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

A bipartisan Senate duo, Senators John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., introduced legislation yesterday that makes it a felony to use a camcorder to record the theatrical presentation of motion pictures. Language in The Artists' Rights and Theft Prevention Act, will also make it easier to prosecute people who illegally distribute copyrighted material before its legitimate release.

Feinstein, who recently endorsed Senator John Kerry's, D-MA., presidential bid, called the legislation an attempt to address the problems created by piracy. Cornyn said, ''Copyright piracy is a serious threat not only to the entertainment industry but also to a U.S. economy struggling to get back on its feet.''

The Artists' Rights and Theft Prevention Act, joins a bill recently sponsored by Congressmen John Conyers, D-Mich., and Howard Berman, D-Calif. The representative's legislation is an attempt to make camcording movies a federal offense.

Ummmm geez thanks. I don't know how to thank our wonderful Government. What would we do without these guys? We should be so thankful that they are so so good and embroiling our Armed Forces into seemingly every incident worldwide. Nice to know people can go bankrupt from corporate corruption(Worldcom, Global Crossing etc) yet have the individual have their foot held to the fire. Oh yes thank you for giving me the "real" meaning of our Constitution which grants you every power under the sun. Why not just make everything a felony? I'm totally sure our "Struggling Economy" is the result of video cameras being snuck into Theaters. Geez nice to know why people are getting laid off and jobs moving overseas. It's the damn camcorders!! Put Tarrifs on them...Ban them!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    This is terrible. Any politician supporting this legislation should be shot.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I vote we kill them
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I vote we kill them

And make a movie about it.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

And make a movie about it.

And then pirate it.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I vote we kill them

Powerdoc gets my vote!

Viva le France!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So you are saying that people who film movies using camcorders in the theater should not be prosecuted? That people who distribute films and music pre-release should get off scott-free?

This issue has nothing to do with simple file sharing. Read the proposal before you shoot anyone. The proposal is fair.

I don't know anyone who films movies using a comcorder in the theatre. If I did, I'd slap 'em upside the head with a bottle.

I just got a DUI. About 1200 dollars got me out of it. We call it diversion. I could have killed your kid, or someone got 7 bucks from New Line and does three years.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    honestly. if you live in these states, VOTE THESE JACKASSES OUT!

people our age are a huge voting block. if we voted on issues like this they would be out of the house and senate.

republicans, vote this jackass in texas out. democrats, vote her out. get these people out of office now before this country becomes a nightmare.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So you are saying that people who film movies using camcorders in the theater should not be prosecuted?

In the big picture I definitely think I should be able to bring a camera into a public theater. If I illegally distribute the film, prosecute me.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    For the love of Pete, people: Spend $8 to see the movie in the theatre and then WAIT for the DVD to come out and spend $20 on it! Stop fvcking complaining every time someone tightens the belt on piracy!

IT'S ILLEGAL! Boycotting your senators because they're reinforcing legitimate laws is ridiculous.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    A felony?

That should last all of one challenge.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if these senators honestly think this is good legislation, they're morons and need to go.

this is the stupidest pile of crap to be pushed in a while. i hope they all lose their senate seats because of it.

ing idiots.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

In the big picture I definitely think I should be able to bring a camera into a public theater. If I illegally distribute the film, prosecute me.

It's not a "public theater." It's a private theater, owned by the movie company, which they allow you to pay to enter. You're on their property, and under their rules. And the ticket you've bought entitles you to WATCH the movie, not create your own duplicate of it.

People who pirate films, music and books are the ones who ought to be shot.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Alrighty I'll go get you the 12 year old, the 70 year old, and half your friends, and then shoot away buddy.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    yes its illegal, yes pirates should be able to be prosecuted, but a felony? all this is about is the gov't bending over to make some private industry happy. ya, sure, happens all the time, but , some one has got to draw a line somewhere
  • Reply 15 of 25
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Hmm. Whats the difference between a felony and other crimes?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Heres a good question: Who the heck wants to watch a movie that has been tape recored off of a movie screen? The picture sucks, the sound sucks, there are people walking around in the theater, there is ambient noise. I couldn't watch a movie like that. I don't care wether they prosecute these people or not, those movies suck.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hmm. Whats the difference between a felony and other crimes?

Well there is differents level of crimes, felony is a step higher than the first grade one.

One day someone will decided that pirating films are worse than raping victims ...
  • Reply 18 of 25
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    It's not just idiots in a theater with a camera - a DVD one-off of a huge upcoming release was stolen from where I work and the FBI are involved.

High quality copies find there way on to P2P networks too.

Felony?

Hell yes. I'm all for it.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

It's not a "public theater." It's a private theater, owned by the movie company, which they allow you to pay to enter. You're on their property, and under their rules. And the ticket you've bought entitles you to WATCH the movie, not create your own duplicate of it.

• Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

yes its illegal, yes pirates should be able to be prosecuted, but a felony? all this is about is the gov't bending over to make some private industry happy. ya, sure, happens all the time, but , some one has got to draw a line somewhere

In truth the punishment should be in line with what was taken. If someone is videotaping, they should be thrown out of the theater, perhaps barred from it, if that's possible. The studio should be able to take them to small claims court (we'd have to figure out how much revenue is stolen through the taping of a film). Now, if they're distributing, then that should be a felony.

Same with music. Though with individual songs being worth less, there's less culpability. However, for distributors, chances are they distribute far more copies than movie thieves do, which may still take them into felony territory.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I say RECALL!