Senate Legislation to Make Pirating Films a Felony

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

It's not just idiots in a theater with a camera - a DVD one-off of a huge upcoming release was stolen from where I work and the FBI are involved.

And you don't see a problem with this? If someone broke into my house and stole a DVD, would the FBI get involved?

Priorities are badly fscked on this issue.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    No, not if they simply stole from you.

It's the distribution that should be a felony.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

No, not if they simply stole from you.

It's the distribution that should be a felony.

So in the example you've given, the FBI is getting involved before there's even a felony. My point still stands, that priorities are fscked.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Cake et al need a reality check. Two kids got stabbed in the FACE last night at a dance at my college. My friend's an EMT and not exactly supposed to let on about this but it happens almost every night. I thought this college was safe and compared to something in NYC it definitely is.

The potential is there for someone copying a DVD to get more time then a murderer. Besides why tie up law enforcement with this crap when there are killers and drug dealers and rapists out there?

Get real. Nothing will stop digital pirates these days, law enforcement is slipping hopelessly behind and will never catch up. Hollywood is basically screwed. Good news however. Joe Consumer is honest, and buys there stuff. Bad news: RIAA/MPAA are kicking Joe Consumer's ass with DMCA nazi-ass crap. You can't watch a DVD from China on your US DVD Player. That is retarded. It took all of a few hours for someone to crack region codes I'm sure. Same with Macrovision, not letting you back up your DVD with FAIR USE on to a VHS. Or just convince sake, if you have a VCR upstairs for example. I realize we're all intelligent here on this board and you might be playing Devil's Advocate but if you're not, you're a spineless sycophantic simp. Read Slashdot today and look at the slipper slope we're dealing with. The DMCA was invoked here:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7URT3TG0.html

to prevent garage door openers from working with each other. Umm duh? Here: http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/2...8.shtml?tid=98

Best Buy stopped a deal site from releasing their prices early. Firstly why the hell don't they want free advertising!? Idiots. Anyway just an example of legislation out of control. I think it's largely because our representatives in government don't understand today's technology, and a lot of companies for some reason are paranoid too. That's why Apple's iTMS is doing so well, everyone else was pussy wussy about it and scared it wouldn't work. Now they're all aping Apple as usual.

\