Greatest movie lines...

Comments

• Reply 101 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm going to have to disagree with this thought. Sometimes a one liner captures more than an essay.

"Something I never could stomach about Santa Carla, all the damn vampires."

That's from THE LOST BOYS. A pretty terrible movie, but that line saves it from utter trash.

perhaps, but without context, it's so lightweight. I could go out and say something clever, then publish it as a great quote, and nobody would really understand the point. Take for example the one above about heineken and PBR. It says a little bit about the character, but it is hardly more than a small bit of detail for those who haven't seen the movie. But that's eons better than some of the crap quoted from "Alien" in this thread. Alien is just not a quotable movie -- it wasn't meant to be.

When there's no context, the meaning is lost. If a quote can create it's own context, then it's doing its job as a good quote. A one liner that succeeds here, though, is rare.
  • Reply 102 of 175
    That's Aliens, buster! PLURAL. ...and don't you forget it!

In defiance to your notion, here's another one:

Hudson:

"Hey Vasquez, anyone ever mistake you for a man?"

Vasquez:

"No. Anybody ever mistake you?"
  • Reply 103 of 175
    Just posting to mention that I started this thread to see what people's favorite movie quotes are. "Great" was not intended as meaning epic, purely perfect in the artistic sense, or changing a society with its presence. "Great" was intended as referring to lines that made you laugh, are memorable, or simply made you say to the person you were watching the movie with "that was a great line". So Scott...lay off.
  • Reply 104 of 175
    i came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

and I'm alll out of bubblegum
  • Reply 105 of 175
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

.... So Scott...lay off.

I'm not the one who started getting personal. You wanna tell someone to "lay off" it aint me prick. Go get pissed off at giant. Just because I don't put up with giant's troll doesn't make me the prick.

Anyway I finally thought one of one.

Andy Dufresne - who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.

Red in The Shawshank Redemption.

As pointed out above my sig is almost one
  • Reply 106 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

That's Aliens, buster! PLURAL. ...and don't you forget it!

Alien

Aliens

Alien 3

Alien resurrection

Last I checked.
  • Reply 107 of 175
    jaws has a bunch, the one about little billy kitner spilling out all over the dock was good, but when they were in the cabin drinking telling stories about their scars....they're joking and then quint (robert shaw) tells this story:

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian t'Leyte, we'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the squares in the old calendars like the Battle o' Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, Reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. Three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the twenty-ninth, nineteen-forty five. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
  • Reply 108 of 175
    I'm pretty sure all the quotes so far were from Aliens, with the exception of one which I'm unsure of where it came from (the "Whoop-de-fricken-doo" one).
  • Reply 109 of 175
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure all the quotes so far were from Aliens, with the exception of one which I'm unsure of where it came from (the "Whoop-de-fricken-doo" one).

that was aliens too, i can't think of any lines from alien other than "this is ripley, last survivor of the nostromo, signing off.

in the third one i just remember the guy singing "in the year 2525" before he gets snuffed.
  • Reply 110 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm going to have to disagree with this thought. Sometimes a one liner captures more than an essay.

"Something I never could stomach about Santa Carla, all the damn vampires."

That's from THE LOST BOYS. A pretty terrible movie, but that line saves it from utter trash.

bad, but i could watch it anytime.........oh star.......shiver and a sigh!
  • Reply 111 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

that was aliens too, i can't think of any lines from alien other than "this is ripley, last survivor of the nostromo, signing off.

in the third one i just remember the guy singing "in the year 2525" before he gets snuffed.

I wanted to do one from Alien 3. This is more of a situational+quote:

[verbal arguing between multiple participants in the cafeteria about whether or not there is really an alien loose in the facility or is it a hallucination, Alien approaches stealth style through the ceiling crawl space, busts through a ceiling tile, grabs one person below, and is gone in an instant]

[entire group is silent]

One guy looks up at the opening in the ceiling in astonishment and with a tight British accent says, "F*ck!"

I always get a kick out of that scene. I mean, what else can you say when an Alien comes out of nowhere, takes a buddy, and disappears in an eyeblink?

There's also the rousing, inspirational speech given by Charles Dutton's character. ...something about, "...you can choose to die fighting on your own 2 feet, or down on your knees begging for your life..."
  • Reply 112 of 175
    Here's another "great" one from Good Will Hunting...

Why shouldn't I work for the NSA? That's a tough one.

But I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at the NSA, and

somebody puts a code on my desk, somethin' no one else

can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break

it. And I'm real happy with myself, cus' I did my job

well. But maybe that code was the location of some

rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East and once they have

that location, they bomb the village where the rebels are

hiding... Fifteen hundred people that I never met, never

had no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are

sayin', "Oh, Send in the marines to secure the area" cus'

they don't give a shit. It won't be their kid over there,

gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number

got called, cus' they were off pullin' a tour in the National

Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie over there takin'

shrapnel in the ass. He comes back to find that the plant

he used to work at got exported to the country he just

got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his

ass got his old job, cus' he'll work for fifteen cents a day

and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile he realizes the only

reason he was over there in the first place was so that

we could install a government that would sell us oil at a

good price. And of course the oil companies used the

little skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices.

A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain't

helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. They're takin'

their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, maybe

even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who

likes to drink martinis and in' play slalom with the

icebergs, it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil

and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now

my buddy's out of work. He can't afford to drive, so

he's walking to the in' job interviews, which sucks

because the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic

hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' cus' every

time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate

special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with

Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for

somethin' better. I figure it, while I'm at it why not

just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn

enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby

seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I

could be elected President.
  • Reply 113 of 175
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Proceed with the execution!"

Captain of the Louisa, THE AFRICAN QUEEN

"You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts!"

French soldier, MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL

[Addressing a crucifix]

"From now on we are enemies, You and I. Because You choose for Your instrument a boastful, lustful, smutty, infantile boy and give me only the ability to recognize the incarnation. Because You are unjust, unfair, unkind I will block You, I swear it. I will hinder and harm Your creature on Earth as far as I am able. I will ruin Your incarnation."

Salieri, AMADEUS

"We're fighting for this woman's honour, which is more than she ever did."

Rufus T. Firefly, DUCK SOUP

"We're on an express elevator to Hell, going down!

Hudson, ALIENS
  • Reply 114 of 175
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Just got a new one from tonight's film:

"Don't just stand there like a referee! Cooperate!"

The Lady Vanishes
  • Reply 115 of 175
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

"Man, I'm so high right now. I totally have no idea what's goin' on."

Towlie

"You are the worst character ever"

"I know".
  • Reply 116 of 175
    Helen Hunt: "I wouldn't kiss you if we were stranded on a desert island for 20 years..."

Woody Allen: "Well that's absurd. After 20 minutes I would make a bow and arrow and kill you."

-Curse of the Jade Scorpion
  • Reply 117 of 175
    "...'cause we were inverted."

one of my personal favorites ... i suppose because it relates to my chosen profession.

Can anyone guess the movie ?
  • Reply 118 of 175
    I think this line accurately conjures up the imagery necessary to happify anyone.

"Where'd you get the coconuts?" -Soldier #1
  • Reply 119 of 175
    Countess Alexandrovna: You are the greatest lover I've ever had.

Boris: Well, I practice a lot when I'm alone.

love and death

you gotta love the woodman.
  • Reply 120 of 175
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Avalon (1990)

Sam: A couple years, I went to see the house on Avalon. It was gone. Not just the house but the whole neighborhood. I went to see the ballroom where me and my brothers used to play. The whole place gone. Not just that. But the grocery store where we used to shop. Gone. All gone. Gone. I went to see where Eva lived of Poplar Street. It isn't there. Not even the street. It isn't there, not even the street. And then I went to see the nightclub I used to have! (chuckles to himself) And thank God, it was there! Because for a moment, I thought I never was...... (quietly) If I knew things would no longer be here, I would have died to have remembered better...