Greatest movie lines...

Comments

• Reply 121 of 175
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

There's got to be some good quotes from Bladerunner, too. (I'm terrible at this. I can recall where good quotes are, but I can never remember the exact wording.)

I already quoted one.
  • Reply 122 of 175
    Q: "we were inverted"

A: Top Gun?
  • Reply 123 of 175
    aaplaapl Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Oh for Heaven's sake.

This is a thread about great lines from films. Not a thread about abortion, evolution, George Bush or the unequal treatment of men and women. Not a lot of scope for Scottbashing, one would think, and believe you me I thrive on Scottbashing; hey, what's not to bash.

In context.

Someone stands up and say something demonstrably stupid, someone's well within their rights to demonstrate it.

But is it truly impossible not have a thread that degenerates into "Oh so you're a fukcing mind reader now?" One would have thought that this thread could have been it. We could be arguing over films, if we have to argue, but no, instead we've got "Eat shit and die asshole."

You haven't contributed a single line from a single film. I read fuzzy, stupid, adolescent nonsense on this board all the time. I'm responsible for some it. I don't feel compelled to point it out every time I read it because that's not the point; people post here for a laugh and they come back to see what people thought of their posts. It's not school, it's a bit of fun. If someone's favourite film is Aliens, so what? Really, who cares?

So, you haven't contributed a single line from a single film. Let's go through your posts. I'd like to make you understand how you got the response you have.

Your first was to point out that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a book first and to say that all these people's favourite lines of movie dialogue were for the most part "lame."

I can't help noticing that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was indeed made into a film, as was The Third Man, The Shawshank Redemption, Shindler's List, The Wizard of Oz and Goldfinger, that Aquafire didn't specify any particular rules, and that instead of shaking your head and posting some dialogue you actually like, you chose to make another poster feel like a twat and ramp up the tension for no good reason.

Your second was to point out that the only "great" film quoted was Citizen Kane, and this from a list of films with Casablanca, Apocalypse Now, La Grande Illusion, The Third Man, Once Upon a Time in the West, Cool Hand Luke and Taxi Driver.

Your third was to say that "Aliens" wasn't a Great Movie and that "Game over!" was a lame quote. With two of these:

I agree. Aliens isn't a Great Movie. But it is a great movie, as in "that movie was great. Dude, if you're going to disagree with someone, disagree with manners. And if you're not going to, then don't complain when people get pissed off with you.

I take it you like films. I like films. If I could remember any great dialogue from Tarkovsky's 'Andre Rubeilev" or "La Grande Bouffe" or "Atalante" or "The Green Ray" I would. But I can't. Please post yours. I can remember great lines from Sergio Leone's westerns like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, because those films have lots of great lines in them. And if I disagreed with your taste in films I'd have shaken my head, thought "Scott's a twat" and scrolled down a bit.

You've derailed the thread totally unncessesarily. This thread didn't need this essay. Every time you post it's like a calculated attempt to make things tense.

All the ugliness in this thread is your fault. Some posters could better have just ignored you, alright, but really, sometimes they shouldn't have to.

You might want to check your email. Pdoc has something to say to you..
  • Reply 124 of 175
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Dirty Harry's sidekick looks at him and says "Jesus. You really are a dirty b@st@rd."

Dirty Harry looks him in the eye and simply says "Dirtiest".
  • Reply 125 of 175
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    From About A Boy:

"I am an island!"

"I'm fcuking Ibiza!"
  • Reply 126 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

From About A Boy:

"I am an island!"

"I'm fcuking Ibiza!"

I DO THIS TOO!

the movie is "about a boy" with music (great music at that) by "badly

drawn boy" (edit: ah you fixed it before i posted)

it was my favorite movie from last year. great story, great screenplay by iowa boy nick hedges who did "what's eating gilbert grape"

my favorite line:

"I'd be the worst possible Godfather. I'd probably drop her on her head at her christening. I'd forget all her birthdays until she was 18. Then I'd take her out and get her drunk. And, let's face it, quite possibly try and shag her."

and later he made a comment about fiona being a hippie but it's in the dead zone....i can't remember it.
  • Reply 127 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

From About A Boy:

"I am an island!"

"I'm fcuking Ibiza!"

it was my favorite movie from last year. great story, great screenplay by iowa boy peter hedges who did "what's eating gilbert grape"

my favorite line:

"I'd be the worst possible Godfather. I'd probably drop her on her head at her christening. I'd forget all her birthdays until she was 18. Then I'd take her out and get her drunk. And, let's face it, quite possibly try and shag her."

and later he made a comment about fiona being a hippie but it's in the dead zone....i can't remember it.
  • Reply 128 of 175
    "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.... And I'm all out of bubblegum" - They Live
  • Reply 129 of 175
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    "You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! God damn you all to Hell!"

George Taylor, PLANET OF THE APES

"I knew a man who was stabbed to death by a woman; gave him the surprise of his life."

"I once knew a woman who was beaten to death by a man. I don't think it surprised her at all."

Feraud and Laura, THE DUELLISTS

"Stanley, see this? This is this. This ain't something else. This is this! From now on, you're on your own."

Michael, THE DEER HUNTER

"Ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?"

Popeye Doyle, THE FRENCH CONNECTION
  • Reply 130 of 175
    Spike: There's something wrong with this yogurt.

William: Ah, that's not yogurt, that's mayonnaise...

Spike: ah, right-o then.

[continues to eat it]

Notting Hill
  • Reply 131 of 175
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    "No"

(neo - the matrix)
  • Reply 132 of 175
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    LITTLE BILL

Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch. You just shot an un-armed man.

MUNNY

Well, he should have armed himself if he was going to decorate his saloon with my friend.

LITTLE BILL

You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.

MUNNY

That's right. I've killed just about anything that walked or crawled at one time or another,

and I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

And of course.....

MUNNY

It's a hell of a thing , killing a man. You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna

have.

KID

Yeah. Well, I guess they had it coming.

MUNNY

We all have it coming, kid.

UNFORGIVEN....

Nick
  • Reply 133 of 175
    KING ARTHUR

The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king!

DENNIS

[interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

DENNIS (later)

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

DENNIS (later)

Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

DENNIS (later)

Come see the violence inherit in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

monty python and the holy grail
  • Reply 134 of 175
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The greatest quote from movies is the signature of Immanuel Goldstein :

" Je ne parles pas aux cons, ça les instruits" : i do not speak to morons, it instruct them

8)
  • Reply 135 of 175
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Surprized the movie hasn't come up yet.

"Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I woulnd't know 'cause I'd never eat the filthy mutha f*as."
  • Reply 136 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Q: "we were inverted"

A: Top Gun?

stupider wins !

how 'bout "...fix the cigarette lighter."
  • Reply 137 of 175
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

stupider wins !

how 'bout "...fix the cigarette lighter."

THE BLUES BROTHERS.
  • Reply 138 of 175
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

THE BLUES BROTHERS.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarattes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Elwood: You see, we're on a mission from God.

I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god!

Nick
  • Reply 139 of 175
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Another one to guess:

"It's clean."

• Reply 140 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

There's got to be some good quotes from Bladerunner, too. (I'm terrible at this. I can recall where good quotes are, but I can never remember the exact wording.)

"If only you could see the things I've seen... with your eyes."