How long have you had your main computer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It seems I am switching my computer every other day for one reason or another. Better value, more power, whatever. I sell and buy lower-end computers as if it were a competitive sport. I've read that Murbot has this in an acute form.

So, how long have you had the computer you are using now?

I've had mine for about a month.

The B&W before i had for about 2 or 3 months.

The ibook before that about 4 months.

Powermac 800 before that for a few months.

Another B&W before that..

The list goes on...

I just can't stay with one computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    I think you and murbot need therapy

I've had mine since december and wouldnt dream of parting with it, not at least for another year anyway.

Perhaps you are missing something in life which you feel the need to change computers so often?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    i'm not sure when i got mine, but it was something like 98 or 99 give or take. b&w g3/350. soon i'll be getting a second-hand g4 thats really gonna rock! should last me a few years. macs tend to retain value longer than pcs. i'd love to be able to swap out so quickly, but i just haven't put forth the effort to even begin. i dont think i could get used to it. seems like a lot of work to always be unhappy.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Three years and two months.

Dual 500 G4.

Best investment EVER. This machine has kept churning long beautifully and runs OSX like a dream and most other software very well too. The only qualms I have are minor. Newer games are iffy on it and things like 3D and video rendering are notably time-consuming.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I've had this Cube for two years and 7 months. I bought it in June 2001.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I suffered through my Beige G3 for 1 year, and I've had my G5 (which I'm not suffering through!) for about 2.5 months.

BTW: CubeDude, have you kept the insides, or have you upgraded the processor, etc?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    I've had my current computer (12" powerbook) since the end of January (that's 10 months). I had gone through a phase of getting a new computer every 11 months because I won't be without AppleCare on a laptop and that's all I use. When I work the numbers, it just seems like a better deal to sell the computer and put that and the AppleCare money towards a new computer. This time, with the recent drops in the powerbook prices and the relatively minor changes overall, I bought more AppleCare. So, I'll be holding on to this PB for a little while longer...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I've had this iMac G4 800 since they first came out... err... well... once it was delivered in April 2002. So, that makes about one and a half years. And I'm happy with it and the performance it gets. I'm never really waiting on the machine except in iPhoto
  • Reply 8 of 43
    I have a long relationship with every Mac I own.

1996: Performa 6116CD.. still here... love it

1998: iMac Bondi Blue Rev. A.. sold it in late 2002

1999: iBook Blueberry Rev. A.. still using it..

2001: PowerBook G4 Titanium 400Mhz... sold it in summer 2002

2001: iMac Tangerine Rev. D... my friend gave it to me.. sold it in late 2002.

2003: Dual PowerMac G4 1.25 FW800.. using it..main machine.

I totally skipped the 68k, PPC 603/ev, and 604/e.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    350 MHz PowerPC G4 Mac. Too long to remember. 1998, 99? Come January I'll be making a decision. I've been waiting for the right model. I want a 20" display so AIO's don't fit the bill. iBooks don't have enough power, PowerBooks are either too expensive or don't have enough power as a tower. Current G4 towers are not what I want either with the G5 stepping in to replace the G4. I want a G5 tower around $1,400.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Too long. Regretting buying a laptop, want a G5
  • Reply 11 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    As primary computers:

1984-86 Apple IIc

1986-1993 Apple IIgs

1993-1997 Apple Macintosh LC III

1997-1998 Apple Power Macintosh G3 DT 233 MHz

1998-2002 Apple iMac (Bondi) 233 MHz

2002-???? Apple Power Mac G4 2x1000 MHz
  • Reply 12 of 43
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've had my dual G5 since the end of September, and my 12" AlBook since the beginning of October, so neither are even two months old yet.

My sister and I bought my father eMac for Christmas the day of the Panther release, and just this weekend I bought all of the pieces to put together a home-brew PC. (Only cost $671... unless you count the cost of one dead iPod -- but that's another story and another thread.)

I seem to be buying a lot of computers lately.

I'm already figuring that my current G5 is destined for eBay when dual 3.0 GHz G5s come out, and that my G4 AlBook will hit eBay either when G5 PowerBooks come out, or when some surprisingly advanced G4 emerges (not that that's a major expectation).
  • Reply 13 of 43
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've had my iMac since May 2nd when I got it because my mom needed a new computer so she got my old iBook and I got the iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    new iBook G4, about two weeks

previously, an original eMac, which i had for a year + a few months.

previous to that, no computer for a year and a half.

previous to that, a tangerine iMac DV which i had for about 8 or 9 months.

previous to that, a 7100/66 which i used for about 6 years. heh.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Since I've only been a Mac owner for about 1 1/2 years, I guess that's how long I have had my primary computer. When I was using Windows, it seems I switched computers every other week trying to find one that actually worked and didn't crash constantly. I don't think Apple will make a fortune off of me as I am very happy with my iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    1993-95: LC 520 (for the whole family)

1995-97: Performa 6200 (as I went off to university)

1997-01: PowerBook 1400cs (as I went off on exchange...and was fascinated to discover that having your own computer, never mind a laptop, was quite a luxury in Scotland! Then I got home and started to feel more and more underpowered)

2001-03: PowerBook G4 550 MHz (was happy to be able to actually USE the internet decently having come off of the 1400)

2003-??: Macintosh SE (just sitting there outside a building on a cold Canadian winter morning...I had to give it a home)

2003-??: PowerMac G5 1.8 GHz (passed the TiBook down to my sister who was off to law school and got my hands on far more power than I need)

And if a grant comes though I might add an iBook G4 800 Mhz to the mix. C'mon funding !
  • Reply 17 of 43
    B&w g3 350 for 4 years 5 months.

Added a G4 450, 30 gb hard drive, 80 gb hard drive, cd-rw, zip drive, scsi card, 512 mb ram (on top of 128 mb). that's it I think. the zip and scsi aren't so useful now. The only problem is that is crashes a lot. Maybe I'll upgrade to panther. Otherwise speed is okay. I'm waiting for g5 rev b.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    LC 630: 1994-2000

Sage iMac: 2000-Present

The LC 630 still runs swimmingly and served me well. The iMac just keeps getting faster.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I want to see murbot's list.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I want to see murbot's list.

It could take a decade to get the list done.