PowerBook G5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 375
    The 750-cores and 440-cores will merge in 2004. The rumoured Mojave, aka 750VX, is said to incorporate a VMX unit. But what's not commonly known is that Mojave will share its core with the next generation of 4xx core. This common core is named "Viper" and will be the core of the 7xx Mojave and 4xx Orion. According to roadmaps I've seen Mojave will be here in 2004, and Orion in 2005.

When I first read Nr9's entry my first thought was "Why base it on 440 when the 750 core is so much more powerful?" Then it dawned on me that it'll be essentially the same thing in 2004.

I think the MCM thingy is quite a clever approach. The 440 core has proven to be very versatile and doing a custom design targeted directly at laptops like Nr9 propses might be the best thing to do. It's somewhat similar to what Intel is doing with Centrino.

I do think that Nr9 might be onto something here. Very interessting!
  • Reply 42 of 375
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by numerous ill informed people

WOOHOO. G5 powerbooks by january 2004

Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

G5 is not design for mobile computing

no matter how small you shrink it it wont work

Hmm. Two month from now or never? Isn´t there, like, a third possibility?
  • Reply 43 of 375
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    i must admit this is an interesting idea.

if you look at the top500.org you can see that the 440-based supercomputer needs 4x the number of processors to get the same theoretical peak of 1 PPC970.

if a PowerBook shall come up around the same performance of a single processor 2GHz PPC G5 it must have 4 processors.

2nd i found the following at another website - according to that opinion the 2GHz G5-chip in a 90nm design will be very suitable for a 2GHz PowerBook.

Quote:

Quote from here:

Senior analyst Eric Mantion at InStat/MDR (Scottsdale, Ariz.) said the 1.2-GHz PowerPC 970 consumes 19 watts in 130-nanometer silicon and estimated that a 2-GHz 970 core would consume about 15 W in 90-nm silicon.

adding: and as far as i know the current G5-architecture is planned to be THE architecture for upcoming Macintosh-Systems (i think steve jobs himself told this to the press). this is for cost reasons. would a PPC440-based processor-unit fit into this?
  • Reply 44 of 375
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

Senior analyst Eric Mantion at InStat/MDR (Scottsdale, Ariz.) said the 1.2-GHz PowerPC 970 consumes 19 watts in 130-nanometer silicon and estimated that a 2-GHz 970 core would consume about 15 W in 90-nm silicon.

Interesting stuff. Now, what is the power consumption of G4's used in current powerbooks?
  • Reply 45 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I'd never have guessed that the PowerBook would be the trailblazer though. That's a bit hard to swallow.

It makes sense though. What computer needs low power, high performance processing in Apple's range as much as the PowerBook?

In terms of SoC, I totally agree, and is the point I was trying to put through. Would it be cost-effective to have 4 seperate chip designs, each with different MACs and controllers?

Alternatively, would it be possible for EACH CHIP to have a FireWire MAC, an ethernet MAC, a DDR memory controller, a Rapid-I/O controller and a USB 2 controller?

What about the graphics card? Would the MCM include a Rapid-I/O hub, or would the individual chips have 4 interfaces, one each for the 3 other chips, and another for devices which cannot possibly be integrated SoC, like the graphics card (connected through a Rapid-I/O to AGP bridge)?

The idea of a quad-440 isn't impossible to swallow, but that combined with SoC design almost is.

Barto
  • Reply 46 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

In terms of SoC, I totally agree, and is the point I was trying to put through. Would it be cost-effective to have 4 seperate chip designs, each with different MACs and controllers?

Something like this?

Is this doable at all? I'm not familiar to the limitations of processor design but this seem to me like one of those clever solutions. When doing heavy AltiVdc stuff, the other processors is free to do other things.. One might even modify this design so that all the cores share the L2 cache.

There must be some kind of cool dispatch unit too so all of this is handled in an orderly fashion. Could it even be made so that this MCM is adressed as one CPU by the operating system but four way hyperthreaded?
  • Reply 47 of 375
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Would this be faster then the current PowerMacs?
  • Reply 48 of 375
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Would this be faster then the current PowerMacs?

no - i think that 4 ppc 440s (like the ones in BlueGene/L) would have the same speed like one ppc 970 at 2GHz.
  • Reply 49 of 375
    nr9nr9 Posts: 182member
    it some app it should be faster than current power mac

but it will not be faster than power mac avaiable when it it release.

the 440's on the top500 are 500Mhz

the PowerBook will use 700
  • Reply 50 of 375
    krassy, the G5 is not suitable at all, there is also power consumption for the chipset
  • Reply 51 of 375
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    High Barto;

MY thought is if they are going MCM approach then all of your I/O would be handled by one piece of Silicon. It would be entirely possible to have 750 type cores on one piece of silicon, with two of these chips talking to each other and the I/O chip. I still have to wonder if this could ever be cost effective given the cost of MCM technology. I do believe that this could be done with current mother board tehcnology.

IF Apple goes the system on a chip route I believe we are at a point technology wise where 2 750 class processors and all the I/O used in a laptop could be integrated on the chip. The biggest issue is that at some point I/O count itself becomes a problem. I'm not convinced that seperate SOC designs are required or desirable for 4 processors, from the engineering stand point it would be better to selectively disable I/O units not required. But in the context of MCM technology that isn't an issue either as the I/O could be common to all processor modules. So we kinda agree that 4 processor SMP system would be hard to do as SOC, as a MCM it is very possible but expensive.

It should be noted that even 4 processor SOC chips might be possible once the desgn rules fall below .09um. There is also the question of what becomes acceptable die sizes for present technology, the 750 series is rather small compared to Intel and even 970 chips. This is why I believe that dual processor SMP systems are doable today if a largish die is acceptable.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It makes sense though. What computer needs low power, high performance processing in Apple's range as much as the PowerBook?

Alternatively, would it be possible for EACH CHIP to have a FireWire MAC, an ethernet MAC, a DDR memory controller, a Rapid-I/O controller and a USB 2 controller?

What about the graphics card? Would the MCM include a Rapid-I/O hub, or would the individual chips have 4 interfaces, one each for the 3 other chips, and another for devices which cannot possibly be integrated SoC, like the graphics card (connected through a Rapid-I/O to AGP bridge)?

The idea of a quad-440 isn't impossible to swallow, but that combined with SoC design almost is.

Barto

• Reply 52 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

the 440's on the top500 are 500Mhz

The 440 in thecomplete BlueGene/L will be700 MHz parts. Two cores with two FPUs each on the same die as 4 MB L3 cache and different kinds of conectivity busses (like Gigabit Ethernet). One 440 core consumes a measly 1.5 W, but the MCM in BlueGene/L consumes a total of 12 W (probably mostly due to the very large cache) and peaks at 5.6 GFLOPS. That's compared to the ~60 W and 8 GFLOPS a G5 peaks at.
  • Reply 53 of 375
    the prototype is 500Mhz
  • Reply 54 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Something like this?

Is this doable at all? I'm not familiar to the limitations of processor design but this seem to me like one of those clever solutions. When doing heavy AltiVdc stuff, the other processors is free to do other things.. One might even modify this design so that all the cores share the L2 cache.

There must be some kind of cool dispatch unit too so all of this is handled in an orderly fashion. Could it even be made so that this MCM is adressed as one CPU by the operating system but four way hyperthreaded?

Exactly. I know the 440 is supposed to be MUCH cheaper to add-on to than, well, pretty much any other CPU, BUT would it be cheap, and quick, enough?

And wizard69, that's what I would have thought too, but Nr9, who started the thread, says the motherboard design is based on SoC.

This is the BEST thread in Future Hardware in many, many, many months.

Barto
  • Reply 55 of 375
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In the Henriok design, the performance for FP and VMX will be very poor : 25 % of the G5 at 2 ghz.

At least all core needs to have a single FP unit and a VMX unit.
  • Reply 56 of 375
    Interesting PPC 400 reference here.
  • Reply 57 of 375
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Are you sure about this and the PowerBook. Frankly this looks like the technology that should be going into an IBook. Extremely low power and possibly the ability to selectively shut down processor and you have the potential for vey long run times. I can't see this going into the powerbook though, there are just to many variables with respect to performance.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

the prototype is 500Mhz

• Reply 58 of 375
    it is going to be more faster than the current powerbook
  • Reply 59 of 375
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

it is going to be more faster than the current powerbook

That's always good
  • Reply 60 of 375
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    If this is true and it will be called a G5, does this also mean that the 970/980 will also move to multi-core?