• Reply 61 of 76
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    i've just stoped my 1.6 order ...

Now moving to 2 x 1.8 !

• Reply 62 of 76
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

simpily becuase a well configured XP box using PC Hardware will whip the Mac's ass for half the cost.

Um, there's this G5 thingy now you might want to look at.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Great choice. Congradulations on your G5 purchase, and welcome to the world of fast.

Thanks. I'm so ready for a fast dualie. I've been waiting for a G5 since the original rumors on The Register, the old Mot. G5 that burned up and faded away.

I'm so happy.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Ok, dual G5... well, I'm still using my G4 Sawtooth, 1g ram, piggy-backed with 120gig HD =140gig, and when working with a 350mb Photoshop image, it takes forever, and I mean forever...

Would you believe it takes my wide format Epson printer less time to print out that file than it takes to save it!!

So, I need a faster machine, and am geared towards the 1.8 dual G5. Now, that would certainly speed things up with regards to large photo files. How, will a dual processor help, as opposed to a single processor,ie., working with just a single program?
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Depending on the program. Photoshop CE or 7 with the G5 patch will take advantage of the dual processors. Photoshop loves ram also, if your working on a large file ie 500MB. Having 2GB or more will show the performance gain compared to the 512MB stock.

Same here, now that the Dual 1.8 has that nice price on it. I think I'm going to upgrade also!!
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Thanks, Altivec... makes sense. of course. So, it's not just completely for running more than one program at the same time then? Something I rarely do.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by elbogo

How, will a dual processor help, as opposed to a single processor,ie., working with just a single program?

Mach will be able to run the OS threads on the other processor. You can see this in the process viewer graph. So it's not twice as fast, but it's not as if the other processor goes unused as it did in OS 9.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by elbogo

Ok, dual G5... well, I'm still using my G4 Sawtooth, 1g ram, piggy-backed with 120gig HD =140gig, and when working with a 350mb Photoshop image, it takes forever, and I mean forever...

Would you believe it takes my wide format Epson printer less time to print out that file than it takes to save it!!

So, I need a faster machine, and am geared towards the 1.8 dual G5. Now, that would certainly speed things up with regards to large photo files. How, will a dual processor help, as opposed to a single processor,ie., working with just a single program?

I'll second Altivec's comments. If you're running files that are that big in Photoshop you probably need 2Gigs of ram (even if you get the dual G5). I was amazed at the difference an extra gig made to my PS performance with my last machine.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I cracked. I broke down

Goodbye LCD iMac

Hello dual G5

That's exactly what I said and so I called up old Apple and said cancel that 17" iMac. Gimme that there dual 1.8 and slap that ATI 9600 in there while you're at it.

I walked away $100 cheaper (I had the iMac loaded with 1GB RAM and 160 HD). Sure, I'm doing without the ever coveted Apple LCD for a while longer. But hey,I'm leaving Gate's world behind and stepping into the light for crying out loud! All in 64-bit style.

BTW, Apple is not a "luxury" computer as someone stated earlier in the thread. The Lexus is just an overpriced Toyota with a few extra gimmicks/gadgets to "justify"(<-I say this laughingly) the price tag. The Mac has always acheived technological/engineering breakthroughs over and above anything derived by or Intel. I have only recently discovered this, but it is true.

That's why I'm desperate toleave my current job selling a particular brand(think b&w cows) of Windows PC and going to work at the Apple Store opening here in Feb.

Ok, I'll shutup now.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Hey when I typed , Gate's company, it filled it in with smileys. Whassup with that?

I'm new here.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by nrpenny

Hey when I typed , Gate's company, it filled it in with smileys. Whassup with that?

I'm new here.

Just the mods having some fun. The aforementioned corporate entity's name - and its many variations (think -$oft) - tend to be used around here a lot. (Some swear words are also given the treatment.)

One or more of the mods gave a more in-depth explanation regarding this a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find the thread now.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally quoted by Apple

Order Status as of 11:06 PM PST, 11/21/2003 Shipped

• Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:

Any chance that I'd be able to buy an extra processor?

if you mean "can i add a second G5 cpu to my single G5 machine (1.6 or 1.8 )"

then the answer is NO. the board doesn't have the connectors.

if you mean "can i add a G5 upgrade card to my G4/G3 machine"

then the answer is why... mobo bus on your moto board is still choked at 167 Mhz

you wouldn't get G5 performance due to bottlenecks in the old architecture.

if you want "full" 64-bit performance in a system built for it, you'll need to get a dual g5

but maybe that's not what you were asking...
  • Reply 74 of 76
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Depending on the program. Photoshop CE or 7 with the G5 patch will take advantage of the dual processors. Photoshop loves ram also, if your working on a large file ie 500MB. Having 2GB or more will show the performance gain compared to the 512MB stock.

Same here, now that the Dual 1.8 has that nice price on it. I think I'm going to upgrade also!!

Right now, Photoshop only recognizes 2 gigs. It doesn't matter if you have 8 Gigs, but it will require a scratch disk if you exceed 2.

Sucks, huh?
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Quote:

Right now, Photoshop only recognizes 2 gigs. It doesn't matter if you have 8 Gigs, but it will require a scratch disk if you exceed 2.

Sucks, huh?

Yep. I was starting to drool over the fact that the dual G5s can take 8Gigs, but then I remembered yesterday that PS only uses up to 2. So it's kind of a waste for those of us who just want a fast PS machine.

Now that news is out that the next G5s will be out sometime between January and March of 2004, I wonder what the next lineup will look like. Here's my guess (and that's all it is):

Dual 2.8GHz G5 (DDR533) $2999

Dual 2.5GHz (DDR400) $2499

Single 2.0GHz (DDR400) $1799

I'd love it if Apple could make all the PowerMac G5 models dual, but I don't think they'll manage to keep pricing at $1799 if they go dual.

I also think it's safe to say the 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz G5s will make their way into a G5 iMac or all new G5 desktop sometime between January and March.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    microsoft