Apple to build pc capable of running windows xp

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Virtual PC.

Or, revive and update the Orange Micro PC-on-a-card product.

If you need PC apps to perform better than either of these options would provide, a cheap PC is your best bet.

Cheers,

Spunk
  • Reply 22 of 78
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The only thing that makes "a Mac a Mac" (and worthy of having Apple logos and whatnot plastered all over it) is - and ONLY is - the OS.

Goon.

It's the OS, people. Otherwise, it's just a snazzy-looking paperweight or slideshow machine.

No...worst idea put forth in a thread since DaveHagans "would you buy a 20" PowerBook?" submission...

• Reply 23 of 78
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

No...worst idea put forth in a thread since DaveHagans "would you buy a 20" PowerBook?" submission...

LOL
  • Reply 24 of 78
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    The idea that started this thread is not as bad as some are making it out to be. Also, there is a big misconception in several postings. If Apple made a Windows PC, it would NOT be Mac as some imply. A Mac runs the Mac OS and this computer would not. It could called a 'Braeburn' or 'Cameo' maybe, but not a Macintosh. It would likely be a high priced, classy Windows PC for those willing to pay for quality. By selling only through the Apple on-line store the marketing cost would be lower.

There are good reasons Apple shouldn't do this, and I doubt they would. However, it is a better idea, from Apple's point of view, than selling Mac OS X to run on the x86 platform. There would at least be reasonable profit in sale of hardware to a prestige niche market. Consider what IBM is doing in the server market. IBM would love to sell Power4 servers to all their customers. Yet IBM will sell you almost any kind of server to get you as a customer. Eventually, I imagine, IBM hopes to convert more customers to Power and PPC servers.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Is this thread the evil twin of all of the "Mac OS X86?" threads from a while ago?
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Is this thread the evil twin of all of the "Mac OS X86?" threads from a while ago?

You have it mixed up. The "Mac OS X86" thread is the evil twin of this thread.

Neither twin is a good idea, but selling Mac OS X to run on the x86 platform would be a disaster and demolish Apple's hardware sales. Selling a Windows PC would be an unproductive use of engineering talent that could be better used on other projects.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    I think what people want is a way of running $$$$$$$ apps in a layer (like Coca) on top of the kernel .

But there is no open source operating system out there that can be utilised to implement $$$$$$$ (not x86) on unix so ? .

They are hinting that they would like Apple to write a hack that enables $$$$$$$ apps to run in the protected memory partitions of OS X .

Man that would be some hack if it is posible ?.

Best ask someone else who knows something about that sort of thing or study it your self !.

It would certainly beat virtual pc you would hope ?.

And if not you would have to find a way all things are posible you just have to work harder sometimes to achive your objectives .

????????????????????
  • Reply 28 of 78
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    This is so funny, but on a serious point why are the extras on DVD's not available on a Mac. Not having a PC I don't even know what they are.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I didn't get that one either: I have a "Jaws" Anniversary DVD, "The Exorcist" Special Edition and quite a few concert DVDs (Ms. Crow, Benatar, etc.) and I watch all the "behind the scenes/making of" stuff all the time, as well as the alternate ending takes, documentaries, director commentary, etc.

• Reply 30 of 78
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    It's true some DVDs exclude the Mac for certain things. Take the newest reissue of TERMINATOR 2. It only works on XP.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why is this continuing? lock it it makes no sense stupid,
  • Reply 32 of 78
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Seriously, think about it -- why bother with a Mac if it runs Windows? If the looks are the only thing that counts, fine, but it hurts Apple more in the long run. If this were a beauty contest only, no problem. But I think using a Mac is about more than pretty cases. Apple would jettison the whole user experience they cultivate in both hardware and software, they'd be Microsoft's bitch even more than now, they couldn't possibly keep close tabs on all the hardware and software conflicts and support issues that creep up on the Windows side, they'd have to somehow find a way to leverage their Mac-only or Mac-preferred software investment, (i.e., the pro apps and the iApps) on a new platform, they'd have no influence in the direction of the OS, the platform, the features, the apps, the windowing system, color management, all the stuff we take for granted now, they would have to depend on others' proprietary Windows formats for files instead of standards like in the *nix community, etc. etc. etc.

God, there must be a hundred reasons why this is a bad idea and I could probably count the benefits on one hand. Emulation? Fine. Intel chipset? Fine. Abandoning the platform to be a case maker? Bye bye Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Read the original posting, carefully. This idea is not as bad as all the misconceptions about what it says. If Apple followed this original suggestion, it would only be a small side-business, catering to a limited market. There are surely some who admire the looks and quality of a Mac who would be willing to pay the price for a Windows PC like that. The original post sees this as a way of encouraging people to switch to the Mac eventually. Give the guy a break by responding to what he actually says.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    So is this going to have a ADM chip or Intel?

or are you going to convince Microsoft XP to support the G5 chip?
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Read the original posting, carefully. This idea is not as bad as all the misconceptions about what it says. If Apple followed this original suggestion, it would only be a small side-business, catering to a limited market. There are surely some who admire the looks and quality of a Mac who would be willing to pay the price for a Windows PC like that. The original post sees this as a way of encouraging people to switch to the Mac eventually. Give the guy a break by responding to what he actually says.

I agree to some point

But at the same time are you not telling poeple by doing this "Window OS" is better than "Mac OS" ??????

A product to be made by Apple with out Mac OS? I dont think it will ever happen

if they do- Would it have a two button mouse?
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

if they do- Would it have a two button mouse?

Hey, how else are we going to get one?

I think the biggest problem with this idea is that Apple can make a whole lot better use of their engineering talent than designing a Windows PC. Also, sales would be too low to justify the added support cost of another platform. And, as you pointed out, it would take fancy marketing foot work to keep people from getting the wrong impression. It's NOT a good idea, but I don't think it deserves the ridicule it was getting.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

I could put the Benz star on a Fiat because I like the "M-B look and feel"

This reminds me, there's one Fiat in my neighborhood with a 0.5m x 0.5m yellow and black Ferrari logo neatly spray painted in the middle of the hood.

Color? Maranello red.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

A product to be made by Apple with out Mac OS? I dont think it will ever happen

iPod and Newton.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

It's true some DVDs exclude the Mac for certain things. Take the newest reissue of TERMINATOR 2. It only works on XP.

For these rare (hopefully less and less) instances, it looks like we might need software emulation afterall.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Worst. Thread. Ever.