Apple to build pc capable of running windows xp

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by aircft.sys.spec.

I believe everyone in this thread has it backwards....................What if Apple made OSX for PCs.........and introduced it in their superbowl add!

hhhmmm

Sigh.... read the other (lengthy) thread on this subject.

In short, the reason is that if Apple made OSX for PC hardware (setting aside the fact that no existing PC or Mac software would support it), it would give education and business buyers no reason to buy expensive Apple hardware when they could get cheap Dell hardware instead.

Apple's hardware sales would then be limited to enthusiasts and freelance artistic types for whom style was more of an issue than cost. Do you know many such people? No, me either, so Apple's hardware sales would fall like a lead balloon.

Since Apple makes all it's money on hardware, it would go bankrupt and that would be the end of Mac OS.

Still sound like a good idea?

Socrates
  • Reply 62 of 78
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    If Apple's G5 hardware could run Linux (not just Yellow Dog) natively could it run Windows as well? Hmmmm...
  • Reply 63 of 78
    O.K. ..........I'll be quiet, now.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike

If Apple's G5 hardware could run Linux (not just Yellow Dog) natively could it run Windows as well? Hmmmm...

Apple runs PPC-native ports of Linux, not Intel ports of the OS. In order for the Mac to run Windows natively, M$ work have to reintroduce the PPC port of its OS. M$ abandoned the PPC port of Windows NT 3.5 because Apple, IBM, and Motorola refused to pay the development costs. The Redmond monopoly shows no signs of wanting to re-expand its OS offerings beyond Intel-compatible processors.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    Passions still run high on this subject.

But consider the impossible.

1. A portable Unix OS (Apple stays IBM PPC as long(!) as the chips perform. I don't think Apple could take another four year long performance hit... So Marklar is maintains. A bitter pill to swallow. A last ditch option. Steve Jobs maintains that Mac OS X is very portable. Not a statement to dismiss.)

2. iPods ARE now 'PC' hardware (or...compatable with PCs...) The leading music player in its field. PC makers are groping to catch up. And while I'm not fond of Apple's mildy(!) excessive pricing...the iPods, for now, are flying off the shelves. (But I think they'd reach critical mass much sooner if they begin making periodic and aggressive price cuts...)

3. Apple has great versions of Quicktime, iTunes and a fully loaded iTunes Music store that is the leading music download store/software on the PC!

4. Apple has X-Serve. Very competitive on hardware and license pricing...

5. iSight. iChat AV.

The last one is Mac only. But the iSight, technically isn't(?) In my opinion the iChat AV has the potential to be absolutely huge in Enterprise AND consumer PC land. Video conferencing that works.

And in education? A huge hit.

It's the one Mac iapp that is a natural PC app' to port. And the kind of killer app' Apple could reach critical mass with. We're talking waaaaaaaay more than the 25 million installed Mac base.

I await San Fran 2004. It should be interesting.

Oh. And number 6. Apple is now generating nearly 40%(give or take) of it's revenue from non-Mac hardware. ie Software, services, iPods and other products. And that figure is set to rise...

Anybody spotting a trend. (Clue, look at Apple's software division in 1999. What's that? Yes. You're right. They didn't have one. Now look at their software division. Apple are how big? Not as big as M$, not as big as Adobe. But after that? Third? In the top 5 of software developers? And Fred Anderson said that lots more software was coming...and he said nothing about it being Mac only...)

Draw your own conclusions.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Ummmmmmmmmmm, ok, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah, not really, conclusion: THEY MUST ALL BE CRAZY!

Can anyone please tell me how "Elegant PC" is not an oxymoron. This is really disturbing me...

Oh well, who cares it's only a PC.

Ok, back to studying. I think. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

THEY ARE ALL CRAZY I SAY!!!
  • Reply 67 of 78
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Hey wait, Apple does build a personal computer capable of running Windows XP.

I have one! But I use Windows 98 instead, because it has less overhead.

It's a PowerMac G4 Cube... with VPC 6.0 installed.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Looks like they took note of what i said :-)
  • Reply 69 of 78
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    They couldn't handle the truth!

Welcome back! Any new tidbits to offer that the unwashed masses can dismiss again!
  • Reply 70 of 78
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microdisiac View Post

Because you changed your initial post in which you said in the last sentence:

Quote:

... that runs windows xp not osx???

into

Quote:

... that runs windows xp and osx???

Doesn't make your initial post correct.

[edit]

Can someone lock this thread?

It has nothing to do with future hardware, or in this case, future software, anymore.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Looks like they didn't.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The switch to Intel was a 'Black Swan' event.

Helluva call back in 2003.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Did you seriously dig up a 5 year old thread, modify your original post to make yourself look right, and then brag about how you were right?

Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

Those time stamped post modification notifications are a bitch...
  • Reply 74 of 78
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Lol, if he'd just said "and" originally, this would definitely be a mad propz moment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

Did you seriously dig up a 5 year old thread, modify your original post to make yourself look right, and then brag about how you were right?

They are a bitch
  • Reply 75 of 78
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The switch to Intel was a 'Black Swan' event.

Helluva call back in 2003.

Amazing call he then predicted a ipod that would make phone calls .
  • Reply 76 of 78
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

My thoughts exactly. WTF...2003?
  • Reply 77 of 78
    I really do not like when people want windows to run on the mac if you want a machine that runs that crap then go out and buy one of the pieces of junks that are unfortunately out there that comes with your windows xp like hp, dell, lenovo and run windows that way dont want a machine with an apple logo and that run windows for its main os If you want apple to run windows then you really are on crack sorry no offense
  • Reply 78 of 78
    Who in the world would think of this nonsense certainly not apple this was a brain dead idea. Although it will be better then any windows pc out there today because i'm sure that apple would make it more stable and durable than any others but what am I saying dum idea because it will never ever happen and if it did then there would be no purpose for apple and for that fact who would want a windows pc anyway when you can have MACINTOSH just saying the whole pc thing its waste of time. A windows pc is the same old technology with very few new features if any and a new name.