Eminem

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since he's such a controversial artist I was just curious to hear everyone's opinion about him.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    He's awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Don't like rap or hip-hop so I don't care for him.



    But he is impressive.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The fact that he needs bodyguards to fight off a rubber dog puppet makes him a stupid a-hole.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    Simply the most talented White Rapper EVER and that's pretty much rarified air.



    Being controversial is good. Madonna has lived by this same modus operandi. Controversial keeps you in the news and on peoples mind.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    His raps make me want to be a better person.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    His raps make we want him to be a better person.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    a person wants my raps to make a better me
  • Reply 8 of 34
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    but seriously what's this about a rubber dog?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    The fact that he needs bodyguards to fight off a rubber dog puppet makes him a stupid a-hole.



    basically. did seeyou Triumph's video? it shows him fvcking m&m i think it showed m&m fvcking Triumph too



    i don't like rap, can't see the appeal
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Eminem is AWESOME. I was first attracted by 'Stan' (quite embarrassing really). At first I couldn't understand anything except Dido's chorus. I just liked the overall 'sound'.Then someone bought me the Marshall Mathers LP and I listened to Stan over and over. Every time, I would hear another part of the story, until I could understand the whole thing. Every song unfolded to me like that. Then I was just stunned at the genius of the lyrics, and the emotion and the self-deprecating humour of the stories. And swearing is funny, too. Like South Park.



    Eminem is my favourite Artist. His Prodege (50) is great, too, but his songs are much less... erm... sophisticated.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    I liked his old shit...

    But everything after his first two albums suck.



    Now I have stopped listening to rap... infact I hate rap now that I think of it.



    It's all about ska now, for me.



    RUDEBOY!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    For a mass culture artist, he's way more talented than most of the fluff. But will he stand the test of time...will people be humming Eminem songs in 2020? I doubt.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Eminem is one of the few popular artists nowadays that puts a lot of thought and a message into his lyrics. System is about the only other mainstream group that does, and Rage is dead as far as new music goes. Even if I didn't like rap, I'd enjoy his work solely because of this.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I really like Eminem. His lyrics are incredible (he's no Dylan). Still, his lyrics are insightful, funny, and they really make you think. Something that can't be said for most artists out there. I don't make a regular habit of listening to him, but I really enjoy his stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Spart

    Eminem is one of the few popular artists nowadays that puts a lot of thought and a message into his lyrics. System is about the only other mainstream group that does, and Rage is dead as far as new music goes. Even if I didn't like rap, I'd enjoy his work solely because of this.



    The fact that you line up Eminem with Rage, and System is interesting...



    Rage, political.

    System, modern society.

    And Eminem, ????.



    What sort of social "power" is he rapping about?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Eminem is corny now



    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Simply the most talented White Rapper EVER and that's pretty much rarified air.



    Being controversial is good. Madonna has lived by this same modus operandi. Controversial keeps you in the news and on peoples mind.




    I beg to differ. Listen to Brother Ali.





    Eminem would be great if he used his talent right.



    Quote:

    His Prodege (50) is great, too,





    You don't listen to much rap do you?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    People still listen to enima-em?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DMBand0026

    I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I really like Eminem. His lyrics are incredible (he's no Dylan). Still, his lyrics are insightful, funny, and they really make you think. Something that can't be said for most artists out there. I don't make a regular habit of listening to him, but I really enjoy his stuff.



    i think it's disgusting and offensive, to anyone who ever wrote down an english word, to consider Eminem "insightful, funny" or thought provoking. One need not look further than "Kim" to realize his depths. he's popular for his shock appeal; both in the disgusting nature of his lyrics, and his flaccid color next to his contemporaries. mnm is a joke, and we'd be better off to quickly forget him.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't care for hiphop (I kind of like Outkast, but nevermind), but Eminem's lyrics have more substance. Heck, even his music as a whole sounds better.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    There are many more white rappers out there that could school eminem any day.



    One good example would be Aesop Rock, incredibly talented, speaks volumes of meaningful rhymes and storytelling/poetry, and doesn't need to rely on shock value or gimicks.

    http://www.dirtyloop.com/AesopRock.html



    There is a rap group Ugly Duckling, couple white guys, they are very clever, playful and inventive, keeping rap music fun and REAL.

    http://www.uglyduckling.us/



    and of course the indomitable MC Paul Barman, this guy is one of the most talented rappers I've ever heard. ever. This guy is sickly clever, he spits some of the sickest stuff, both literally and figuratively. I guess he's sort of gimicky, he has a lot of very gross rhymes, but he's so clever. www.mcpaulbarman.com



    That said, skin color really shouldn't matter in rap, it's not about that at all.
Sign In or Register to comment.