Headphones Purchasing Advice

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

For truly awesome sound, look for a pro pair labeled for use in a recording studio. They stop kidding around in that arena.

But can you get a pair for under a $100?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    This is a killer deal, listed on DealMac:

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones for $60 after rebate 9:19 am

The Sennheiser HD-280 Pro Circumaural Headphones cost $69.99 at eCOST.com. A $10 mail-in rebate chops the net price to $59.99. That's $10 off our last mention and the lowest price we know to be available. Add $3.95 for shipping and handling. Rebate ends December 31, 2003.

When you go to the eCost webpage, it lists the price as $99.95, but if you click on the Buy button, it lists them as $69.95.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    A good pair for around $100 is the ER-6 by Etymotic Research. I bought the ER-4P and I love them, but they are much more than the ER-6?s.

Here are two sites for buying and information.

http://www.etymotic.com/

http://headroom.headphone.com/

hope this helps.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    He explicitly said he doesn't want earbuds because of lack of bass.

But, I own the ER-4S and feel that they are not at all lacking in bass, so they should indeed be considered. However, they won't give you any bass that you can FEEL, the extreme example being the feeling you get from a good subwoofer. The bigger closed earcup models will certainly give you bass that you can feel.

Also, Etymotics have to be shoved INTO your earcanal, which is a scary idea for a lot of people.

In a word, Etymotics will give you DETAIL and lots of it. They completely seal you off from the outside world by the way, so they're perfect for planes and such. Just don't ride a bike with them on.

I know the ER-4 is out of your price range... and I can't really comment on th ER-6 'cause I haven't heard 'em.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    I highly recommend AKG headphones. I got hooked on them mixing live performances for direct to live radio broadcast. I own a pair of K 240 Monitors which have served me very well for four years. IIRC, I paid $90 for them at a Guitar Center then. They are a very comfortable circumaural design and light (very little fatigue after wearing them for hours), and have a long cord. While they aren't the most durable headphones out there, they stand up well to regular use and abuse in studios and radio stations quite well. The most commonly damaged parts are where the cord meets the headphones or the jack -- both easily fixable if you're at all handy with a soldering iron. If I were buying today I'd probably get the K 240 Studio for just a little more, but only because I can't quite afford the K 240 DF.

Now some general advice:

1. I'd recommend against wireless headphones -- I just don't think the sound quality is there, particularly if it's digital wireless, which would add additional (and almost certainly low quality) A/D conversions. The quality of analog wireless is suspect too, due to interference and low quality components (which add their own interference).

2. When buying high quality headphones, particularly those designed for studio or radio station use, be sure to check that they work acceptably with the equipment you intend to use them with: many consumer devices, especially portable devices, just don't have headphone amplifiers with enough juice to power studio headphones at the volume levels many like to enjoy. This is true of the K 240 Monitors, but I only use them off a home stereo so it isn't a problem for me.

3. Consider ambient noise environment in which you intend to use the headphones. Most headphones you are likely to consider will be 'semi-open' in design (including the K 240 series above), but you might want to consider 'closed' design headphones if you will be in a noisy environment (like the K 271).

4. Comfort issues: I think there are three things to consider: design (circumaural or not), weight, and adjustment. As the name implies, in a circumaural design the headphones go around the ear, resting on the head and not the ear -- most people find this more comfortable when worn for a long time. That said, excellent non-circumaural headphones are available from many manufacturers like Grado and AKG (K 141 series). Weight is a straightforward issue. Adjustment depends a good deal on your personal preferences: I hate adjusting the headband when putting on a pair of headphones, so I go for self-adjusting models. Someone who moves his head around a lot while listening to music will probably want something manually adjustable for better security.

Good luck!

[I tried to link directly to all the models I mention, but the links didn't seem to work off AI, even though they work OK just pasted into the browser. Odd. Anyway, you'll just have to dig through the AKG site. Sorry.]
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I'll second the reccommendations of either the Grado SR-80s or cheap Sennheisers. Bang for buck their sound will be better than mainstream consumer electronics companies.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    If you really like music you must at least listen to the Etymotics Er-6 or (if you can afford them) the Er-4p.

So what if they're in the ear designs? They compete with reference headphones in the $1,000 range.

They're perfect for iPods and notebooks for listening on the go.

Cheers,

• Reply 28 of 52
    I'm still taking notes and am open for recommendations.

Thanks a million everyone.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Mine were $80, from Circuit City, or somesuch. I'd say what they are, but I actually don't know and they're in another city.

Yeah, I know, vague, sorry... Good luck getting a good pair.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Yes. Arguably the two most popular headphones in use in radio stations and recording studios are the AKG K 141 Monitors (a supra-aural design) and the K 240 Monitors (a circumaural design). Both are available for under $100 retail.

It's worth noting that people who are used to consumer grade headphones may not like studio headphones. Studio headphones aim for qualities like accuracy, clarity, detail, and flat response. This is entirely appropriate to that market. Others, however, may very well prefer their headphones to give a less flat response: most commonly more bass or more upper-midrange. These people will often say that studio headphones seem "flat" or "have weak bass". And depending on the quality of your recordings (many MP3s for example) the clarity and detail of studio may be a negative, highlighting deficiencies in the recordings. Many consumer headphones (and to some extent "audiophile" headphones too) are built to these preferences, and so may appeal to the average ear even though they are less accurate, poorer quality headphones.

As I noted before, it's very important to make sure that studio type headphones will work with whatever equipment you have. Headphone amps in much consumer equipment are just not designed to drive that kind of load. In particular impedances vary a great deal: many studio headphones have high impedance -- 600 ohms (like the AKG 141/240 Monitors) -- which doesn't always get along so well with consumer hi-fi gear. 55 ohm impedance is a more common expectation and there are often variants of studio headphones built to that standard (like the AKG 141/240 Studio models). The bottom line is that you need to check suitability before you buy. That said, as I stated before, I highly recommend going this route.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    You rule for starting this thread.

Anywayz, I've been thinkin about gettin some new headphones but not really sure. I have some cheap Sony's (MDR-CD60) and to me they sound pretty good but are gettin a little worn down. Now I was thinkin of possibly buying some earbuds so that I can use them with my walkman when Im on the train or bus, because unless its winter time and I have a big ass jacket on I cant really carry around my cans unless I wear them around my neck the whole time. However, I use headphones a lot with my computer (so as not to disturb the others), plus I am getting into producing (music) and it might be helpful to get one of those professional Sony ones. I have had my eye on the V700 or 7506 but they are a little bit expensive.....especially since Im gonna have a lot of expenses already I am not sure if I really need to splurge on new headphones. Another thing I was considering doing was buying some cheaper earbuds in the 20-30 dollar range....do you think they would be a whole lot worse than something that costs twice as much?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Man, I got my Philips SBCHP550(OH! the backlight just turned on....duuurr...sorry) ear cup style headphones for like $30 and they are just fine!

Okay, they aren't THAT great, but they are really compact, provide fairly adequate bass, and work for a variety of purposes.

I'm currently looking into getting some Sony Headphones, I used a set the other day(forget exactly which) and they were dreamy.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I think your best bet is the Sony MDR 7506, but I personally prefer my Beyerdynamic DT 100's. The best 150.00 bucks I ever spent on audio gear and I spend a few grand on audio gear every year.

They used to be the studio standard in Europe and every picture you see of an English band in the studio from the seventies through the early nineties they're usually wearing them. I feel like I'm hearing the mix the way the musicians were when they were laying down their tracks.

They are also excellent if you do any recording, every part on them is replaceable, they are comfortable and they have very little leakage and really block out backround noise.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I think your best bet is the Sony MDR 7506, but I personally prefer my Beyerdynamic DT 100's. The best 150.00 bucks I ever spent on audio gear and I spend a few grand on audio gear every year.

That's what I've been trying to tell him.

Brad, MDR-7506s...they were made for you!
  • Reply 35 of 52
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Brad -- another vote for the Grados, though I recommend listening to some first. They have beautiful sound but are almost completely open, and may not deliver the kind of bass you're looking for. If this is the case, lean toward a closed-ear design.

I own a pair of Grado RS2s (with matching battery-powered amp 8)) and am stunned by the life they can bring to even poor-quality or compressed recordings. And for <$100, the SR60s do not disappoint. (I did not find the same to be true of Sennheiser's entry-level cans).

Also, as jginsbu mentioned, don't ingore your means of amplification. Grados can be sufficiently driven by portable devices, which is fairly uncommon among higher-end, full-size headphones.

As for ambient noise, a co-worker of mine sits about eight feet behind me and listens to his SR60s daily. I rarely notice sound from them... but then, he doesn't usually crank his music.

Just one guy's honest impressions (and biases). Good luck with your decision!
  • Reply 36 of 52
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I cast my vote for the Grados. I have the SR-60s and they are amazing. The sound leaks a little so I do get stares on the subway, but everyone wants to listen to what I'm listening to anyway
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Where can I find the Sony MDR-7506's? I can't seem to find them on the SonyStyle website. Around how much will they cost? Also, do I need an external amp for those, or will they sound fine just connected to my 12" PB?
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Yet another vote in support of SR-60s. More importantly than leaking sound to bother other people, is that all sound around you leaks in.

HD280 and V6/7506 are both good, and have their uses, but I like my SR60s more than the other two, and given the chance will use them over the others.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member

TOP NOTCH!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

Where can I find the Sony MDR-7506's? I can't seem to find them on the SonyStyle website. Around how much will they cost? Also, do I need an external amp for those, or will they sound fine just connected to my 12" PB?

They are just over $100 shipped from B&H Photo.

I had taken Brad's mention of abuse to mean he was looking for something sturdy. And no matter how much I love the sound that comes out of my Grados, they ARE NOT sturdy. The Grado SR-60s represent minimal design. As a result, there's really not any room for a cable run...the cable from the stereo plug is attached to both earpieces. The cable is also straight, so it's less flexible than the coil of the Sonys.