Headphones Purchasing Advice

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    As I mentioned before Eugene, the the MDR-V6 is identical to the MDR-7506 but is cheaper!.

And even cheaper..

I can give you even better evidence; there was an example of of a Head-Fi member who acquired a paif of V6/7506's that had the two different names printed on each earcup... that's right, the right side said V6 and the left said 7506 (or vice versa), indicating that they are built on the exact same production line.

EDIT: Here's the evidence.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Once again, many thanks to everyone here for your sound advice. *snicker* This has all been a great help to me.

I think I'll be settling on the Sony MDR-V6 headphones if they are indeed the same as the MDR-7506 (which it seems so). I would love to go for some beefier models, but I'm working on a college budget here.

Any other last-minute recommendations?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Grado SR-80. Own em.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

TOP NOTCH!

OMG. Compass. Blast from the past there.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler

As I mentioned before Eugene, the the MDR-V6 is identical to the MDR-7506 but is cheaper!.

I must have missed your post. It was actually my impression that the headphones were identical, so I didn't look to compare one vs the other. There are even some places that list the V6 as the MDR-7506/V6. So yeah Brad, go with the V6s.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    I recommend against the Sony MDR-V700. I had a pair that I used when DJ'ing and they break easily...

If you have the money, buy some Pioneer HDJ-1000's I think thats the right model number... I've used these, and being these are designed for DJ's they are awesome in quality..
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

I recommend against the Sony MDR-V700. I had a pair that I used when DJ'ing and they break easily...

Well, fortunately I won't be doing any DJing. I just need them to be sturdy enough to withstand slightly (heh) above-average strain and slinging around.

If any other future buyers are interested, there's a nice little comparison of the Sony MDR-V6 and the Sennheiser HD-280 here:

http://www.byrneweb.com/sunburn/audio/hd280vsv6.html
  • Reply 48 of 52
    One last question. What kind of plug does the MDR-V6 come with? Is it a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack? If not, can I find an adapter at Radio Shack?

Thanks.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Lol... they didn't break during DJ'ing. I was listening to a cd player.. Just be careful and you'll be fine..
  • Reply 50 of 52
    It uses a gold-plated stereo miniplug (3.5 mm = 1/8") and includes a detachable 1/4" plug adapter, according to what I've read.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    V6 uses a stereo miniplug (1/8 in) but it is not gold-plated. The 1/8->1/4 adapter it comes with is gold-plated. The 7506 come with a gold-plated miniplug.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by mountainyeti42

V6 uses a stereo miniplug (1/8 in) but it is not gold-plated. The 1/8->1/4 adapter it comes with is gold-plated. The 7506 come with a gold-plated miniplug.

No, neither the V6's plug nor adapter is gold plated. The adapter screws on unlike the standard "snap-on" kind, giving it a really high-quality feel. No, you can't hear the difference between nickel and gold plating, and certainly isn't worth $20.