Gates vs. Jobs: coming soon to a UK TV near you!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was surprised no one else had caught this and posted something.

From MacWorld UK:

Quote:

BBC to screen Jobs, Gates head-to-head

UK television channel BBC2 will broadcast a show that looks at the world's most powerful computer moguls Thursday December 4 at 9.50pm.

The show features Apple CEO and company co-founder Steve Jobs, and Microsoft founder and chief technology officer Bill Gates.

These two men were "responsible for the birth of modern personal computing," the report says, asking "but which of the two men is the world's most powerful computer mogul?"

Show presenter and financial analyst Alvin Hall will try to quantify the merits of both men. The show features "helpful insights from those who know them best", and will declare "who emerges at the top of the technological pile," show information says.

Born to a family of farmers in rural Florida, Hall is better known as a financial guru. A published author, he has written about investments, the stock market and more.

Excellent! Now I just need BBC2. Does anyone know if it'll be broadcast on BBC (the original) or any other networks? Any chance one of our kind UK members would record it and post it online?

I can't help but think back to an interview with Jobs where he said:

Quote:

The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste; they have absolutely no taste. And what that means is - I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way - in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products ... And so I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success; I have no problem with their success, they've earned their success, in the most part; I have a problem with the fact they make really third rate products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Well, d@#$! I need to get to this show! I don't live in the UK! KAAARRAAAAPP! Anyone care or dare to make that into a QT snippet? haha..as if...well, inform the rest of us unlucky mates who can't see it!!

~tommy
  • Reply 2 of 46
    More info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings..._4224_42772_40

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ul/3284811.stm

From the FAQ:

Quote:

Can I watch the programme on this site?

No, that isn't possible for this series.

So it looks like you'll have to bootleg it.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:

The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste; they have absolutely no taste. And what that means is - I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way - in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products ... And so I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success; I have no problem with their success, they've earned their success, in the most part; I have a problem with the fact they make really third rate products.

Haha. Gotta love that. It's true though. It sounds like Steve is a little bit bitter that Gates has gotten so rich off of so many things that he has created, and I don't blame him. I'd be pissed too. I hope that SJ can get get the better of ol' Bill somehow (outside of making obviously superior computer products.)
  • Reply 4 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok somebody record it and then we shall see the fruits of bittorrent!

Please somone, I know we got some of those crazy europeans on these boards, someone has to have a capture card!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ok somebody record it and then we shall see the fruits of bittorrent!

Please somone, I know we got some of those crazy europeans on these boards, someone has to have a capture card!

I second that.

flick.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I often see shows on A&E and, I think, Bravo that seem to originate from the UK (documentaries and such, showing a little BBC logo at the end credits or whatever).

So maybe there's a chance that this particular program will eventually be shown stateside?

If everyone here started an e-ma...never mind.

It may wind up on video or DVD also.

Kinda weird that someone in America hasn't done something like this (I'm not counting that "Pirates..." movie), since a) the companies are headquartered here, b) Gates and Jobs are rich, famous and influential Americans and c) tech-talk and gizmos/gadgets are all the rage now, with both of these companies pretty much at the top of the hill in terms of popularity, devoted (or trapped) users, etc.

Nah, instead let's see useless, waste-of-space skank Paris Hilton living/working on a farm in YET ANOTHER stupid $$$$ing "reality" show...mmm, can't get enough of those, can we?

Idiots.

• Reply 7 of 46
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I have a capture card and plenty of space, but no TV reception. Pesky basement flat, and I have the only room without an aerial socket. I'll see if I can hang out the window a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I don't have a capture card but i will certainly watch and record it ( PAL, not NTSC). I doubt they'll be interviewed together though so i don't expect a bun-fight. Also, judging by the show's premise i think i can guess who will be deemed the most powerful.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    I'll have a go but i don't have a capture card. It'll have to be recorded (PAL) then transferred to digital camera, back out to iMovie and so on to QT.

Would that be worth it quality wise ? Otherwise, I could chuck the PAL videotape into an envelope and send it off to someone stateside to do the necessary.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They'll be evaluated by a financial advisor!? Well, I see who's gonna win.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    If anyone wants I could record it onto DVD then rip it into a smaller format such as mp4 avi. Anyone interested?
  • Reply 12 of 46
    No capture card etc. But a note about Alvin Hall... Surely you know him stateside? (He's American you know ) He drains the life out of any prgramme that he's in. He'll sum-up every answer with *turning to camera* "so with hard work and financial prundence YOU can make it big too". Financial Guru is the phrase I think.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

They'll be evaluated by a financial advisor!? Well, I see who's gonna win.

The presenter is quite "cool", more of an Oprah style financial make-over guru, even a bit camp (not sure if that's the right word, but it'll do) all of which I think will work in Jobs's favour as far as who 'wins'. Which isn't to say his financial advice isn't good, I'm just saying he's not a heartless bean-counter, it's more about controlling your money, not it controlling you.

Having said that it looks like it will be more about each individual's story rather than a face-off.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

If anyone wants I could record it onto DVD then rip it into a smaller format such as mp4 avi. Anyone interested?

Count me in!
  • Reply 15 of 46
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

that'd be cool - thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 46
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I'd download such a file as soon as it was up!
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Yeah I would love to see it...
  • Reply 18 of 46
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Me too!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    And me.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Me too.

Crap. I already said that.