How do you pick a screen name?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Trick Fall is my real name just as much as my real name. It is also derived from my real name. I've thought of using something more anonymous, but I kind of like that people who know a little about me would know who I am from trick fall. I'm often called trick at work and sign all my e-mails t.fall
  • Reply 22 of 46
    on the original AI, i was S2kAggie04=S2k after the car, aggie cause of my school, and 04 for my class year. easy...

now...alliance cause i used to play a game online and one of the best players was __alliance__.

so basically i stoled it. yep. no originality here.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

[snip] So I'm asking people how they actually pick a screen name. I've read the thread about the stories behind your screen name (I like murbot's of course ), but I'm wondering how you actually decide what to call yourself. [snip]

luca - could you please post a link to the story about Murbot's screen name, as I can't seem to locate it using the search function!

Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    First I was neo. As in neo-classical, or neo-whatever. Because then I was new to the internet or something.

That was in 1998. In 1999 I had to change my nick for obvious reasons.

I was/am a Simpsons fan (isn't everyone?) and saw that Bart's tag was "El Barto". A few years ago I dropped the "El" because everyone kept asking if I was Spanish (which I am not).

Barto
  • Reply 25 of 46
    btw, as for Mac+ - I just wanted a simple Mac based name that related to when I first became interested in Apple computers. About the same time I learned of this place, a student of mine donated a Mac+ to me b/c he knew I loved the old stuff. It seemed logical.

... besides 68K was taken.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I did NOT know that. I'd even wondered where you were... I guess I'm glad to see you back

I'm blushing... I always wondered if I left whether people would notice. Nice to know someone cares.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I was torifile for a LONG time and my .mac address is still torifile. But I just wanted a change for some reason. My current name is from the Harry Potter books. The "pensieve" is the bowl that dumbledore used to clear his mind. When he had a thought that he wanted to come back to, he'd just pull it out and stick in the bowl for later. This way he didn't forget it and he could concentrate on other things. My decision to use this name came from when I started to use my PDA as a pensieve and it's worked well. Now, whenever I have a random thought, I'll come here and deposit it for later. Hence the over 600 posts in a few short weeks.

At first glance, I thought your name was an abbreviated form of "penis sleeve." Then I wondered why not just forsake the cuteness and use "foreskin." But I see I misunderstood what my eyes saw. I guess I should start wearing my glasses. Sorry.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...r&pagenumber=2

murbots druken name creation thread.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I wish I had registered my real name.

I'm $$$$ing tired of stupid Internet handles.

I AM ADAM!

You could do what I do and just sign your name at the end of your post even though it is posted under your handle...

(Wait grove doing something I would do HAhahahahaha)

WHeeew....

That was a good one...

Nick
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by 17.254.3.183

At first glance, I thought your name was an abbreviated form of "penis sleeve." Then I wondered why not just forsake the cuteness and use "foreskin." But I see I misunderstood what my eyes saw. I guess I should start wearing my glasses. Sorry.

Funny thing is, the first time I played WCIII with my brother-in-law, he thought it said that too. I guess it says more about the people reading it than anything else...
  • Reply 31 of 46
    why not pride yourself on having the brass to use your real name?
  • Reply 32 of 46
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    hey, trumptman, you spelled trumpet wrong.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

...S2kAggie04...

I KNEW that was you on TexAgs!
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Thanks alcimedes
  • Reply 35 of 46
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I kind of prefer my real name anyway.

You know, I like your real name, too. There is something nice about seeing it there. Maybe it makes you seem more open and honest.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I KNEW that was you on TexAgs!

what what?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I love Dave Matthews Band, hence the DMBand part of my name, as for the 0026...an ex girlfriend of mine had the SN DMBand026, so I added an extra 0, just to be orignal. That is the name I use for message boards and whatnot, my iChat handle and E mail address are different, both having to do with water polo, the coolest sport in the world.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ?uh, whoops. Won't bother to correct the original mistake -- funny in a gross kind of way.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I choose handles usually based on whatever book I'm reading at the time I register. I was reading Wilkie Collins's Armadale when I registered here and chose the name of the protagonist, Ozias Midwinter.

Back in my junior and senior years of college, when I was telnetting to unix systems through the positively zippy 2400 bps external modem attached to my superfly 286/16 mhz computer--with a turbo button so you could slow it down for older games--with amber monochrome screen, logging into IRC #cheers, I was reading Leslie Marmon Silko's stunning novel Ceremony, and so my nick was silko.

<nostalgia>

Ahhh. Those were the days. I remember during my senior year sleeping in 30 minute intervals so I could hit the spacebar to keep my connection from timing out while I downloaded Castle Wolfenstein, positively the most awesomest game we'd ever seen back in 1993/94.

What was I thinking in the 1980s? I mean, saving programs from my TI99/4A onto cassette? Hand-typing BASIC programs printed in magazines and then spending days de-bugging DATA strings? Saving my money for months to buy a 5 1/4" floppy drive? Saving even longer for that super-sexy 32K expansion card?

Man. 2400bps was wicked fast.

</nostalgia>

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 40 of 46
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Man, I remember typing PAGES and PAGES of code into my Atari 800XL just to play a stupid game. Make just ONE mistake and nothing would work....grrrrrr.

My screen name is the short version of my first name (DREW) combined with the department that I worked in for over ten years (PROPS). It's common on-set for a 1st Asst.Director to yell for somebody by doing this (like, "Dan, Set Dressing!"), but most people don't turn it into a name.

I did.