A Little Teacher Venting At The End Of The Semester

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I have been falsely accused of plagiarism twice in my career as a student.

Me too. Not seriously, though. Once I presented my working papers and source documents, they couldn't argue with it either time. Seems that they wanted to argue I'd explained things in a similar fashion -- but my conclusions were original. Morons.

That said, I've caught many students plagiarizing over the years. It's usually obvious when I'm reading a document, especially when the kids have done jack all semester.

What bothers me is that the students feel nothing is wrong with it unless they get caught. Big morality problem.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

24 months later, I saw my product on the market, with the exact name I had given it and the exact promotional words I had used in my assignment. I wonder what the statute of limitations is on such a thing. I still have the paper (somewhere) - WITH his fingerprints and grading comments on it, and the date of the assignment, of course.

There is no statute of limitations on civil suits -- you should produce your evidence and sue the crap out of him. Also, you should copy the paper and write a nice letter to the prof's department chair about your experience in the class.

Academia doesn't put up with that kinda sh*t, not usually in any case.

The intellectual property restrictions at UMN are pretty strict -- I've never heard anything that classified a student's assignments as property of the university, ever. In fact, theses and dissertations are copyrighted by the authors, so it would seem that other IP would be done the same way. Go figure.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

There is no statute of limitations on civil suits -- you should produce your evidence and sue the crap out of him. Also, you should copy the paper and write a nice letter to the prof's department chair about your experience in the class.

Academia doesn't put up with that kinda sh*t, not usually in any case.

The intellectual property restrictions at UMN are pretty strict -- I've never heard anything that classified a student's assignments as property of the university, ever. In fact, theses and dissertations are copyrighted by the authors, so it would seem that other IP would be done the same way. Go figure.

Believe me, I have thought over the possibilities of a lawsuit for some time. If there really is no time limit, then I guess I can wait until suing him fits into my schedule! (haha)

No telling how many other students' ideas he has appropriated. I can't imagine doing such a thing myself, and violating my own students' trust.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Are you kidding? I know of one case where a dissertation was appropriated by the advisor, lock stock and barrel, and published in a major journal as his own work.

The punishment?

"Oops, sorry, I didn't know you didn't want it published."

Not that the student's name ever appeared on the author list...
  • Reply 65 of 66
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, it was when i was in the Business School out in Madison that this came up. they have a similar policy. i could look their up as well i'm sure, but since both schools have a similar policy, i'm guessing it's not that unusual for a large public university.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Depending on your position, and the work, a lawyer would tear those clauses to shreds. I know, I've seen it happen. The situation in Canada is very unclear about this right now. Some people have successfully sued to keep their IP, even when using school labs in scientific disciplines. They may have had to let their universities share, but the institutions can be prevented from swooping in and claiming all rights as their own. Some universities now tie jobs, as well as research grants, to much more agressive contracts in this regard.

An undergrad submitting a humanities paper absolutely would not have to relinquish his/her rights to an original work, regardless of what the university may claim. But how many undergrad students would write something worth appropriating in such an agressive way to begin with? And how many of those would know that they had, and of those, how many might actually have the bravery and resources to stand up for their rights?

Universities have probably been stealing for a long time, traditionally covering up for the few profs and chairs that let it happen under the guise of academic tradition.

I think, though, that at least among an older set of academics, there is a great deal of honor and integrity about the business of learning, and those from whom we steal are often rewarded with jobs, if we steal enough from them.