time with the new iMac (brief and scattered assessment)

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    Neat.. the desk that is (you may have a copyrightable/patentable design if its yours!) Now, about the rest of the place.......

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 102 of 114
    flashgirl, have fun with your new imac. how long did it take for yours to arrive?

btw, did you design that desk yourself? it is really wild!

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum4.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum4.html</a>;
  • Reply 103 of 114
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    I've had the same problem as mac's girl. transferring from old Rev B imac to new one I cant get them to recognise each other through Apple Talk. I've been reading posts about crossover ethernet cables being needed or not. Does anyone know if it matters yet?
  • Reply 104 of 114
    very nice desk (and dog)...but two things...with all the thought that went into it i have three questions/suggestions (all minor)....the speakers probably should be at the same height...could you find a way to hide the cables....why the mirror?

g

how does the mouse work on glass with no surface under it??

hope your liking your iMac...did some filming this weekend at tent rocks ( <a href="http://www.gregmalone.com/tentrocks/tentrocks_01.htm"; target="_blank">web page</a> )...gonna burn my first dvd tonight (have been burning cds with iTunes now...might not need toast anymore...really like toast, but iTunes is very easy)...g

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 105 of 114
    [quote]Originally posted by jimdad:

<strong>I've had the same problem as mac's girl. transferring from old Rev B imac to new one I cant get them to recognise each other through Apple Talk. I've been reading posts about crossover ethernet cables being needed or not. Does anyone know if it matters yet?</strong><hr></blockquote>

hey jimdad!

i got fed up and skipped the whole crossover cable bit. after a few days, i finally got the router rigged properly and the macs can see/copy each other's files. it turned out that the powerbook was missing extensions and control panels! check to see if your appletalk and stuff are there and arent disabled. i guess i never noticed since i never used any of them before. maybe conflict catcher had something to do with their disappearance? i dunno.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum4.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum4.html</a>;
  • Reply 106 of 114
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>did some filming this weekend at tent rocks ( <a href="http://www.gregmalone.com/tentrocks/tentrocks_01.htm"; target="_blank">web page</a> )...gonna burn my first dvd tonight (have been burning cds with iTunes now...might not need toast anymore...really like toast, but iTunes is very easy)...g

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

gelding, man, where ya been? i thought you were MIA. nice site about tent rocks. if im ever back in NM, i'll be sure to check it out in person. ive got some neat shots from the carlsbad caverns and from white sands. maybe i'll put them up one day.

i wish i had some dvds to burn, and i even bought a pack of dvd-r's, but unfortunately, imovie doesnt recognize any mpeg format stuff from my camera (its not a dv camcorder, just a digital camera). im not sure, but i believe i'll have to buy quicktime pro to convert it. tell me how your dvd burning goes.
  • Reply 107 of 114
    mac's girl...what's up child?? [quote] gelding, man, where ya been? i thought you were MIA <hr></blockquote>....i was posting alot before since i seemed to have the only new iMac in the western hemisphere not posting as much now as i thought i would let others contribute to the conversation....plus, even though some may disagree with this, i do have a life outside of AI .....hoping all is well with you and your iMac....g

yeah, tent rocks is a easy drive and an easy hike with some really fun looking rocks...you should check it out someday (plus...it's free and the kids like it)...white sands and carlsbad...i'm sure your pictures are great...both places are great to photograph and explore....

ps...have the movie all done, just want to add some background tribal music tonight...will burn tonight or tomorrow and let you know....iDVD is really nice though...motion menus on the dvd should look great...g

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 108 of 114
    jimdad,

To go from iMac-old to iMac-new, you'll need a cross-over ethernet cable (I don't believe the new iMac's enet is auto-sensing): make sure file sharing is on, AppleTalk is set to ethernet, the hard drive is set to sharing (from the get-info window) and that one of the machines has you as an owner or user.

You can assemble a network by using to straight cables and an ethernet hub; total cost: $40-50 at CompUSA (Barvow's link, above, is dead-on).

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
  • Reply 109 of 114

<strong>

ps...have the movie all done, just want to add some background tribal music tonight...will burn tonight or tomorrow and let you know....iDVD is really nice though...motion menus on the dvd should look great...g

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

cool. you should put your movie up on the web so we can all applaud your creative genius. (should i be asking what type of movie it is first? lol!!!) i want to get a decent dv camcorder. what kind do you have?

btw, i didnt think you were lacking a life outside of AI. just saw you posting all over the place and then &lt;poof&gt; gone. i noticed your absence.

p.s. tell your wife my white keyboard is getting dirty/dusty already. she was right. no more eating cheese-doodles while i type.
  • Reply 110 of 114
    [quote]cool. you should put your movie up on the web so we can all applaud your creative genius. (should i be asking what type of movie it is first? lol!!!) i want to get a decent dv camcorder. what kind do you have? <hr></blockquote>

just movies of the kids and by the kids...wouldn't be of any great interest outside the family (plus my wife would kill me if she knew i had photos of the kids up on the internet...she is kinda freaky that way). we have a sony minidv TR17...nice and simple camcorder...does alot of things well...can get for about 800 to 900 on the internet...works great with iPhoto and iMovies.....

reviews:<a href="http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=7"; target="_blank">web page</a>

price search:

<a href="http://dvspot.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=446815/ut=8118eefa57bbcb62/"; target="_blank">web page</a>

burned my first dvd last night...was very easy....love the motion menus....put on four short movies...about 45 minutes in total...took awhile for the movies to download to quicktime...then it said it would take 69 minutes to load them onto iDVD...but it seemed longer (about 90 minutes or so...gonna make another copy tonight...will time it....it may be abit longer as i am adding a slide show to the dvd....) how does iDVD work?? the 24 minute movie of Tent Rocks is over 5 gigs of info...the other movies are 1 gig, 1 gig and over 2 gigs....so somehow over 9 gigs of info is put on a 4.7 gig dvd....i plan to make a tape also and compare to the dvd...thinking that the tape may be of higher quality since it is not compressed....but it wont have the cool menus and such....

maybe i have been lucky, but iMovies has worked great (learning transitions and titles and adding music and taking out audio have all been very easy to do) and so has iDVD...very short learning curve and my first disc burned great...making a coaster with a dvd-r would be quite a bit more frustrating than making a coaster with a cd-r....but so far i have burned a few cds and 1 dvd with the new iMac with no problems....burning cds with iTunes now (still love toast, but iTunes is sitting right there on my dock and is so easy to use) with no problems....really like all of apple's "i" apps...they just need to speed up iPhoto abit...dang i'm saying abit alot....

[quote] btw, i didnt think you were lacking a life outside of AI. just saw you posting all over the place and then &lt;poof&gt; gone. i noticed your absence.

p.s. tell your wife my white keyboard is getting dirty/dusty already. she was right. no more eating cheese-doodles while i type.

<hr></blockquote>

hopefully my absence was noticed with sadness and not joy

my keyboard still seems white...haven't spilled a guiness on it yet....but probably soon enough....ps..perhaps you should get a special order orange keyboard if you are a bigtime cheese-doodle eater...g
  • Reply 111 of 114

<strong>

hopefully my absence was noticed with sadness and not joy

my keyboard still seems white...haven't spilled a guiness on it yet....but probably soon enough....ps..perhaps you should get a special order orange keyboard if you are a bigtime cheese-doodle eater...g</strong><hr></blockquote>

ive read lots of good reviews about the camcorder you have, but i like to actually trust the opinions of the "real" users, know what i mean? i just may get that one too.

i'll take a colored keyboard if i can get a matching cheese-doodle colored imac. i dont really have a cheese-doodle habit, but i get paranoid in general about putting dirty fingerprints on the keyboard. maybe i should put a sign, "please wash hands before using." LOL.

dont worry, nobody noticed your absence with joy. i think you are well-liked. besides, i was wondering when you'd come back, but i figured you were having all sorts of fun with your new imac burning dvds.
  • Reply 112 of 114
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]mac's girl...got an open box special at bestbuy...the dual optical mouseman from logitech...was marked down from 49 to only 27 bucks... the box was opened, but the software and mouse were not...plus, for 4.99 i got a 2 year protection plan that replaces the mouse with a new one (maybe this one will go bad and i will get a new 50 buck mouse for half price)<hr></blockquote>

Was it a returned open box or just an open box? I was in Best Buy the other day and there was an open box of the same mouse so I figured if I could get it half off why not get it. The box was opened and really messed up. So I went to the sales desk in the computer section and asked about it. They said that since it was just an open box and everything was in there, and not a return I could only get it at full price.
  • Reply 113 of 114
    that sounds kinda werid....the box i got was opened and had a sticker that said "open item"....maybe it was a return from christmas or something, but everything was in the box, the software was unopened and the mouse looked untouched...no smudges and the glide pads had no wear.....i assume it was never really used...works great....g

burned a second copy of the family dvd...added a photo album of about 12 photos....so that was a small file....

now the first time i burned this dvd (four iMovies totaling about 45 minutes) it took 90 minutes or so to burn with iDVD....24 hours later i added the photo album and burned a second dvd....this time it took 27 minutes to burn!!! it must remember some of the encoding or whatever...but that is cool if people are making multiple copies of a dvd (sending to multiple family members).....so, filming takes some time, editing take some time, adding music takes some time (not much for how much it adds to movies), encoding to quicktime takes some time, and then making the dvd with iDVD takes about double the time of the movie.....but at least making multiple copies is fast have fun all....g

ps girls really like Black & White, but they are always good gods....my nephew came out for a week and was drowning everyone....he would pick villagers up and throw them in the ocean, decide they weren't far enough out and pick them up again and throw them further....really showed me the difference between teenage boys and teenage girls....g
  • Reply 114 of 114

<strong>

ps girls really like Black & White, but they are always good gods....my nephew came out for a week and was drowning everyone....he would pick villagers up and throw them in the ocean, decide they weren't far enough out and pick them up again and throw them further....really showed me the difference between teenage boys and teenage girls....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

this is true!!!!

my husband has that controversial "grand theft auto 3" for playstation2, and he runs ppl over for fun and beats them senselessly instead of trying to solve the missions. and his guy friends crack up and think that is so much fun. i cant understand it...