AtAT hints at new, cheaper iPod at MWSF

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From the third chapter in today's episode [or try the archives link after today] (emphasis theirs):

Quote:

So if Apple's going to compete, it probably is going to have to figure out a way to sell at least some iPods at a much lower price. MacRumors recently reported on unconfirmed rumors that a "low-end/cheaper 5 GB iPod" might appear "as early as the November 28th, 2003 In-Store Apple event." Of course, that didn't come to pass... but we've got a strong feeling that a modestly-featured and modestly-priced new entry-level iPod is indeed in the offing. Furthermore, we've got a strong feeling that Apple doesn't want to introduce it until after the holiday buying season, since existing iPods are already selling like disposable razors at the annual Covert Werewolves convention and it'd be just plain dumb to sabotage high-margin sales by shipping a lower-cost option now. But if there's some sort of largish Apple-related trade show or something taking place shortly after the holidays, we've got a strong feeling that it might be a good venue at which to unveil this conjectured low-cost wonder.

AtAT frequently sneaks insider information in by linking to other sites that confirm what they've heard, more or less, and the repeated emphasis of "strong feeling" is a clear tip of their hand. They do have a funny disclaimer about their "strong feelings," though, at the end of the chapter.

Anyway, food for thought. It would certainly be an aggressive move on Apple's part, which is a good thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    atAT seems to be reliable. That's great news.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Seems to be a given. One scenario could be:

10 Gig reduced to $199

20 Gig reduced to $299

40 Gig reduced to $399

This would follow the pattern of previous price reductions. Obviously there would be new firmware/software updates.

Just a guess.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    This is good news no doubt!

I'd love to see the iPod (and it's various incarnations) become as popular (in terms of units shipped) as the Walkman!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    This is terrible news. A 40gig iPod just landed on my desk courtesy of my credit card.

Oh well. At least I didn't pay tax or shipping. And I suppose it is almost worth the hundred bucks to have it for all of my holiday travels this year.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    If Apple gets out any iPod for less than $200 (even 512MB Flash memory based), I will buy one, even though I very rarely use a Walkan or Discman.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 35
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    If they do release a cheeper iPod, it better not be some POS that they threw together at the last minute. If anything dilutes the iPod brand at this point it would be worse then not introducing a cheep iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

If anything dilutes the iPod brand at this point it would be worse then not introducing a cheep iPod.

I say make it "cheep" for the sheep, beheeeee.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 35
    they should at least reduce edu prices, since thats pretty much their demographic group. then again, im a student, so maybe i'm biased
  • Reply 9 of 35
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    1 GB Flash Ram cards are getting really cheap. How much is a Toshiba drive these days? Apple could make a very small, 2 GB, 100 hour (?) iPod for less than the 10 GB machine. Or maybe the same price.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    I could handle a 30 gig at $399 but is apple releases a 40 gig at $399 I'll be disappointed, that would be double my current iPod for the same price!

that would be kind of neat if they release 10,20,30,40 priced $199-$499
  • Reply 11 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

1 GB Flash Ram cards are getting really cheap. How much is a Toshiba drive these days?

In the neighborhood of $50-$175, depending on capacity, and that's before Toshiba's announcement that they're doubling production of their 1.8" and smaller drives.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

In the neighborhood of $50-$175, depending on capacity, and that's before Toshiba's announcement that they're doubling production of their 1.8" and smaller drives.

I've seen the 1 GB Flash RAM cards for under $150, not in bulk. Maybe a 1 GB iPod with an expansion slot for 1 GB+ cards. The battery life of this thing would be immense and it would be truly skip free.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Hmmm. AtAT has a great record but something about this doesn't make sense. If Apple is unhappy with the current level of iPod sales why not introduce the cheaper model now. On the other hand, if Apple wants to sell more, wouldn't it make more sense to release it during the Christmas buying season? It seems to me that, unless something else is going on, if it makes sense to introduce a cheaper model in January it would make even more sense to introduce it now.

Maybe the new iPod is to be released with the "home on iPod" feature of Panther?
  • Reply 14 of 35
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Hmmm. AtAT has a great record but something about this doesn't make sense. If Apple is unhappy with the current level of iPod sales why not introduce the cheaper model now. On the other hand, if Apple wants to sell more, wouldn't it make more sense to release it during the Christmas buying season? It seems to me that, unless something else is going on, if it makes sense to introduce a cheaper model in January it would make even more sense to introduce it now.

Look at it this way: according to Jobs (I at least think he said it), 2004 will be the year of digital music (as in purchased downloadable music). Many players will enter the market. The iTMS will have to add some attractiveness if it wants to stay in business, for being the first and only works for a while (remember Apple ][ and the first Macintosh?), but something must be added soon to keep the people hooked. So: holiday season 2003, which will still be a not all that challenging battlefield: milk the people for what they've got, get back some more money to go towards that investment that was the Music Store. Shortly thereafter: release an even more agressive iPod, smaller, lighter, cheaper with less storage but more battery, to pull on over those now using one of those little flash players, but give them a reason to step over to your side! Like the first iPods did.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    cool that ATAT came out so strong about it...they are usually accurate when they "hint" so strongly...at the same time, i wish they had told us that they read it from an image their daughter drew on her spirograph

or something of that sort...anytime they use their kid as the information source, well you know that they will never let the kid take a fall as giving out bad info...

g
  • Reply 16 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I've seen the 1 GB Flash RAM cards for under $150, not in bulk. Maybe a 1 GB iPod with an expansion slot for 1 GB+ cards. The battery life of this thing would be immense and it would be truly skip free.

I don't know if 1/5th the storage at twice the price (assuming $100 bulk price) is a bargain Apple's looking into.

Expansion slots = fiddly. On a camera, they're OK because they're usually used to get pictures off the device, and since the device creates the pictures, you want the amount of storage to be open-ended. But if you have to juggle cards to figure out what to load into the device (not to mention the increased difficulty of synching, as iTunes gets to keep track of multiple cards per device!), and if the capacity of any one card is basically unsatisfactory, then what concrete advantage is there over a Discman? Size?

The whole beauty of the iPod is that it's dead simple and self-contained. Any less expensive iPod has to keep that geist or it'll just cheapen the line.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Seems to be a given. One scenario could be:

10 Gig reduced to $199

20 Gig reduced to $299

40 Gig reduced to $399

This would follow the pattern of previous price reductions. Obviously there would be new firmware/software updates.

Just a guess.

If this happens, that 20 gig is so mine!!!
  • Reply 18 of 35
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Cheap(er) iPods are all very well for the consumer, but Apple should only introduce one if it has the production capacity to satisfy the demand. If Apple's subcontractors are building them as fast as they can at the moment, and if they are all flying out of the shops at current prices, then I don't see why Apple should cut the prices. It would only be hurting itself.

I was reminded by this Financial Times article this morning: Paul Taylor is the FT's personal technology correspondent, and is resident in NY.

Quote:

Apple iPod in short supply for Christmas

By Paul Taylor in New York

Hoping to get an Apple iPod for Christmas? You could be out of luck. Apple Computer's digital music player is in short supply in many markets, including the US and UK.

Most stores in New York have sold out of the larger capacity models and do not expect to get more before the holidays.

The sleek white and silver iPods have proved phenomenally successful since their launch just over two years ago, drawing comparisons with other consumer electronics icons such as Sony's Walkman cassette player.

During the past few months, online music downloading has reached the mainstream and Apple appears to have underestimated the surge in demand for its players. In the three months to September, Apple shipped 336,000 iPod units, a 140 per cent increase on the year before.

If the shortages persist, it would prove another blow for Apple, which has a history of designing blockbuster products but being unable to meet customer demand. During the past couple of years, Apple has suffered shortages of its iMac personal computers and its hot-selling iBook portable PC.

In Apple's defence, Wall Street analysts note that it is notoriously difficult to predict demand for products that unexpectedly become "fashion items".

But iPod shortages are forcing many Christmas shoppers to hunt around or settle for one of iPod's many imitators. While most rival machines cost less, aficionados consider them to lack the vital quality of "coolness".

• Reply 19 of 35
    "its hot-selling iBook portable PC"

What? Eh? PC?

Just thought I'd point that out...

I've been reccomending iPods to several people recently, and most of them have gone away to look at other prodects, such as the Creative Zen 60GB for under 300GBP ($450) on Amazon... Such a pity, really. Although, on the other hand, several other people have drooled over my 40GB pod recently... Must remember to take a towel with me next time I go out, to wipe it off afterwards...
  • Reply 20 of 35
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Hmmm, cheaper iPods would be nice an' all but would anyone agree that the current iPod is ripe for a bit more 'modernisation' = and a price cut, while welcome, would still not stave off the advance of other similar technologies.

As beautiful and appealing as the iPod is in it's current form, I personally would like to see a new, more up-to-date model with a few minor though helpful inclusions...

1; Colour screen (a no-brainer, even cheap cell phones have this!)

2; Longer battery life (yes, six hours or so is damn good, but other similar devices can beat this figure easily).

3; Built in FM reciever and recorder (yes, I know add-ons are available, but who wants more clutter?)

4; Bluetooth headset (why not?)

I believe that the current pricing structure for the iPod is a little steep and a more advanced machine with extras like those I have listed for the same price would be better than cheaper iPods.

Time for Apple to up the ante so other manufacturers can play catch-up again.