American Greed and Obscenity at its Finest

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just caught a few moments of that "Bachelorette Wedding" on ABC that's running right now. FOUR FEKKING MILLION DOLLARS to do it up nice for the TV audience. FOUR MILLION!!

I only have one question: would it be so horrible / less worth watching if the wedding digs only allowed for two million to be spent, with the remainder going to the bride and groom's charities of choice?

Repulsive. This is the part of America I positively hate and am embarrassed by. How shameless can the media / people get when they don't see anything wrong with a scenario like this? How about a piddly two mil limit for the "fabu glamour wedding" and giving the rest to Doctors without Borders, the American Cancer Society or a host of other worthy causes that really *need* the money. You know, PEOPLE... who could use the money so they can have a chance at LIVING.

The Humane Society would even be better than what ABC has done.

Uncle....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    gosh ... they should put me to that show. i hate weddings, i really do .. so i'd probably donate of that 4 million, 1 million to the lincoln park zoo and 3 million to some schools in the poorest south america, and then end up having absolute no party .. i call it "toaster fobia" - just being absolutely terrified about the idea of having the own weddigns one day ...
  • Reply 2 of 53
    i just saw the preview for the bachelorette and "serious china head" is going to be the next bachelorette. i'm stoked.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Yeah it's such a shame that they're spending all that money on caterers, waiters, people setting up/cleaning up after the wedding, the wedding dress makers, etc., because after all, they don't "really *need*" the money since they work for a living.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyc

Yeah it's such a shame that they're spending all that money on caterers, waiters, people setting up/cleaning up after the wedding, the wedding dress makers, etc.

no money is exchanging hands. what'd you guys just fall off the turnip truck?

promotional exchanges.

i guarantee you that everything was given in exchange for just being highlighted in the show, some may have even paid abc for the privilege.

not that it isn't still a big freakin' waste none the less.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm pretty well convinced that all these celeb-types, those with net worths equal to small countries, are all going straight to hell. i mean, with, say, the money of Britney Spears, you could practically feed half of an African country. Rather, she buys an $85,000 coat or something equally ridiculous.

it's probably wrong of me to even talk about this though, as i don't even sponser a child.

this got pretty off-topic
  • Reply 6 of 53
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The fact that 4 million gets spent for a party for two people is obscene, the fact that 4 million dollars get spent is not obscene, however. There are many people who are gonna get paid wages with those 4 million, and they will, in their turn put it to some use and indirectly allow others to live decently. Some will be paid way too much, but still.

Economically apologetic.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    The majority of 'reality TV' is just a hair shy of televised prostitution. Apparently sex and decadence sell so well that the networks don't see much point in selling anything else. I mean, you just know something fishy is going on when FOX is actually the number one network! My solution: the TV has this amazing button called 'off.' Thank God we don't live in the world of Max Headroom!

(20 minutes into the future...)

• Reply 8 of 53
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    ... Yea, the tv stays off when there is no soccer.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Kopf, Giaguara:

I think you guys are missing the point a little. Sure, there are wages being paid out of that 4 million, but those workers would still be getting the same wages every week (chances are) regardless of whether that wedding took place or not. Further, even if they were to somehow lose their job because the wedding didn't materialize (not likely), most of them would still not be in danger of dying tomorrow, I think we can agree.

Hence, you can still put on a glamorous wedding for 2 million, boost the services economy, and at the same time do something that's a helluva lot more constructive / useful with the remaining 2 mil by giving it to the charities that are saving people's lives around the globe.

I grant you that I'm a bit reactionary when it comes to judging the media hoes of this world, but this little stunt took the cake. And yes, you can of course extend the logic to obscenely rich athletes, actors and singers... but many of them *do* give a lot of money to charity (or their time) every year. Lot's of obscenely rich football players giving to the United Way, etc etc...

...this whole wedding show was simply an act of vanity. It was disgusting IMO, especially at this time of year.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    when and if "serious china head" (the next bachelorette) holds her wedding it will be a down to earth affair, she's that kind o' gal!
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Yeah, and I thought gays and lesbians are the root of all marital woes.

Yet, marriage has been turned into a mockery on reality TV.

But, I guess its cool that the institution of marriage gets shat upon as long as they're heterosexual, right?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Uggg. And people wonder why the divorce rate has climbed to 50% in the USA. It is because of crap like this. We no longer marry for love, rather, we marry because thats what they do on reality TV. No matter what anyone says, TV has a bigger effect on people than we think. I'm proud to limit my TV watching to half an hour a week, the Simpsons.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Uggg. And people wonder why the divorce rate has climbed to 50% in the USA. It is because of crap like this. We no longer marry for love, rather, we marry because thats what they do on reality TV. No matter what anyone says, TV has a bigger effect on people than we think. I'm proud to limit my TV watching to half an hour a week, the Simpsons.

do you really think that's true?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i'm pretty well convinced that all these celeb-types, those with net worths equal to small countries, are all going straight to hell. i mean, with, say, the money of Britney Spears, you could practically feed half of an African country. Rather, she buys an $85,000 coat or something equally ridiculous.

it's probably wrong of me to even talk about this though, as i don't even sponser a child.

this got pretty off-topic

Amen! And who the hell needs an Apple computer anyway? When a cheap pc is nearly 1/4 the cost of an imac.....
  • Reply 16 of 53

Yah. That's almost the same. Really. It's close.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    That 4 mil got people to watch, which got got advertisers to advertise, which got people of whom I would guess a fair number use Macs some income.

I suppose you're also one that curses every time you see someone driving an expensive sport car. How many poor starving children could have been fed with that money wasted? But you're just a poor sob.. and you have nothing to give. So why not make something of yourself and then you can lavish all your money on all those things you deem as more worthy.

• Reply 18 of 53
    Yep, that's really a good analogy to this also... fancy cars. Hardly any difference between a fancy car and a televised 4 million dollar wedding. Spot on. Really.

Here's the thing: computers and cars and stereos and great big houses all have a purpose above and beyond any social status that may come with them. You can learn and communicate and get organized with computers. You can go from point A to B to C with a car. You can expand your cultural horizons by listening to music on your stereo. You can stay warm and safe in your great big house.

Now tell me, how will this four million dollar wedding have enhanced the day to day lives of the participants, in ways that say a 1 or 2 million dollar televised wedding wouldn't have? Or even a HALF million dollar wedding.

You don't have a leg to stand on here. If you want to say that you thought the wedding was cool / neat-o / beautiful / etc, fine. But don't try to say that this whole production has some on-going intrinsic value beyond the actual bond created between the husband and wife (and their families).

As for you assuming that this is about me "not having made something of myself" and just being jealous about the money... get a clue. First of all, in my mind "making something of yourself" is not directly correlated to how much money you are worth (apparently you feel differently). Second, if I had 4 million dollars to spend in a day, I'm adult enough and humanitarian enough that I certainly wouldn't spend more than half of it on myself and even then you can bet your ass it wouldn't be on a "gala wedding". You presumptuous pansy....
  • Reply 19 of 53
    I think 4 mil is actually pretty cheap.

How much does an episode of "Friends" cost to produce? At least here two very lucky people got to have a really nice wedding..
  • Reply 20 of 53
    As I noted earlier, you can of course extend this line of logic to other people who pull in millions of dollars in salary and endorsements every year (i.e. the cast of friends, though I suspect 4 million an episode is probably a big exaggeration, considering what a big budget film costs).

In any case, the real question then is, what percentage of the actors' and producers' salaries go to true needs like a home for their families or charity or transportation, vs. how much is just spent on vanity items.

All I'm saying is, they could've made the event a much more powerful thing by spending half that money on the charities of the bride and grooms' choice... but this was all about ABC and their ratings during the holidays and that's it. That's what was repulsive about it. They could've had things every bit as beautiful (maybe just not quite so many people invited) and memorable for the couple, and they could've wowed the audience on TV... AND they could've done a lot of people a LOT of good... and gotten some good PR in the process. Think about what Doctors without Borders or the Cancer Society could do with a million dollars.

But no... not the American Broadcasting Company. Philanthropy is not in their vocabulary this holiday season.