Help iMac Superdrive won't spit out CD

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Here you go, rbald.

(Sorry, spending too much time at clubsi...)

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Fluffy ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Good news!

First of all, this problem was not a result of placing the CD in the tray incorrectly. This problem has only occurred with one specific CD. If anyone has any insight on why a particular CD would cause problems with the drive, I'd like to hear.

Also, the OS would NOT recognize the SuperDrive, let alone the audio CD that was inserted. This goes for DiskUtility as well as the Finder. F12 did not work, and I was unable to find a paperclip hole.

Again, the problem was to do with the drive trying to initially read the CD. Therefore, the CD was constantly spinning and the drive was constantly reading. What I did to resolve this was to put the computer to sleep. I woke the computer by pushing F12, and before the OS was awake and the drive back to trying unsuccessfully to read the CD, the tray ejected.

So there you have it.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by parkov:

<strong>Good news!

First of all, this problem was not a result of placing the CD in the tray incorrectly. This problem has only occurred with one specific CD. If anyone has any insight on why a particular CD would cause problems with the drive, I'd like to hear.

Also, the OS would NOT recognize the SuperDrive, let alone the audio CD that was inserted. This goes for DiskUtility as well as the Finder. F12 did not work, and I was unable to find a paperclip hole.

Again, the problem was to do with the drive trying to initially read the CD. Therefore, the CD was constantly spinning and the drive was constantly reading. What I did to resolve this was to put the computer to sleep. I woke the computer by pushing F12, and before the OS was awake and the drive back to trying unsuccessfully to read the CD, the tray ejected.

So there you have it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tho a little funky technique, it worked. It seems like I have heard of this happening more than once on the new iMacs...including the USA today review. Please let MacFixit.com and other sites know of you solution!!
  • Reply 24 of 25
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20020206/tc_usatoday/3831633"; target="_blank">This guy</a> had a similar problem. A snippet of the text:

[quote]When listening to some CDs, the optical SuperDrive labored unnaturally. I had intermittent problems syncing music on an iPod. Worst of all, after inserting a CD of Franz Schubert's The Trout, the iMac froze and I had to reboot. I could not then dislodge the CD, even after calling tech support.

Apple tried to explain away the problem by saying I was testing a preproduction unit. True enough. But given that people sometimes screw up when they insert CDs, Apple missed out on one small but potentially important feature standard on many other machines: an accessible pinhole for manually ejecting a stuck disk. I had to take the computer to a nearby Apple retail store, where surgery was done and the disk was successfully extricated. It was not damaged and worked normally on an ordinary CD player.

But I'm a glutton for punishment. I inserted it again. And it got stuck -- again. At least I'm one step ahead of Mr. Schubert: I completed my review. The composer's last symphony, sadly, went unfinished.<hr></blockquote>

Straaaange. Hope this isn't the big Firmware problem people are talking about!
  • Reply 25 of 25
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    Just crack that sucker open like so ...

grab your favorite plyers and ... (censored by AI moderators)