Red vs. Blue...which states will change in '04 election?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

This, as you may guess, is a map of the 2000 election results, state by state. As I have been thinking about the upcoming election, I have been wondering where will we see the changes, and what states will be the most crucial?

My bias will probably shine in the following statement, but I am unconvinced that any 2000 gore supporters will be supporting bush in the upcoming election, so I think the map should be mostly the same.

The closest states were the usual midwest swing states, new hampshire, and of course florida. I think that if the Dems can take Ohio, they will win the election. In fact, no republican president has ever won office without winning Ohio. I am also an Cincinnati resident, so this makes me feel very important.

Florida I think will stay red. Even though if everyone in florida voted for whom they intended to in 2000 it would be blue, i don't feel that minority voters, who in florida traditionally vote democratic, will make it to the polls. I've heard, and this makes a lot of sense, that the attitude of many city minorities in florida is, "Why vote? They (the people in power) are gonna do what they want to anyway."

But what states will turn Red? I can't really see that any will. How does New York City traditionally vote? What do you guys (& gals) think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    MN has a distinct chance for the first time in a long time.

CA will be interesting with Arnold at the helm. if he stumps for GWB, he'll pull a lot of non traditional voters out of the woodwork.

NM is also up for grabs, will probably go Bush.

WI was really close, not sure it will change though.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It'll be interesting to see what happens in Ohio. The steel tarriffs, had they been allowed to stand probably would've kept them in the red, but now that Bush dropped them, who knows what effect that'll have.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

In 2000, New Mexico went to Gore by a fluke. Bush will take it. He'll also be competitive in Pennsylvania and Michigan, but his fumbling of steel tarrifs will probably prevent him from taking one, or both, of those states.

If Clark is the nominee, the Democrats have a chance at Arkansas. They'll have a chance at Missouri regardless, since Missouri historically goes to whoever wins nationally.

Bush has no chance in California. Schwarzenneger won because of the unique circumstances and the insidious awfulness of Gray Davis. A Governor Davis would be better for Bush than a Governor Schwarzenneger.

The Democrats always have a shot in Ohio and West Virginia. If the Dem nominee is better liked than Gore by labor, they could make either of those two states competitive. It would be hard to pick a nominee liked less by labor than Gore.

The other states won't move.

The Midwest and nearby states: Ohio, Missouri, West Virginia, Michigan and Pennsylvania, will determine the next president.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Bush has no chance in California. Schwarzenneger won because of the unique circumstances and the insidious awfulness of Gray Davis. A Governor Davis would be better for Bush than a Governor Schwarzenneger.

For once, I agree with you.

If Davis was still in office, there'd be no chance that Californians would be pissed off at a Republican governor in November '04. In order for Bush to win California, Schwarzenegger has to work a miracle in less than a year. Maybe he can turn California around, but not in a year.

California is not a swing state.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Bush put Governor Benson in charge of his campaign in NH about a week ago, and since then, has dropped 10 points in the polls to both Dean and the 'unnamed Democrat'. Benson has a 29% approval rating in the state now.

Over 70% of the reserve in NH has been called to duty in Iraq or Afghanistan, and a ton of people in NH are in the armed services. Many people just got called up for their 3rd tours of duty since 9/11. Morale is very low. I think NH will be in play.

Edit: When I entered this thread, I was hoping that it was about http://redvsblue.com/
  • Reply 6 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Also remember that with the latest census, even if the states all remain in the same column, Bush will win something like 5-10 more electoral votes.

It also depends a lot on the nominee. Clark would probably win Arkansas, Gephardt would probably Missouri, and Dean - well at least he would keep Vermont!

[edit]Oh yeah, this is pretty cool. It's an interactive electoral map on John Edwards' web site.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, i like how they left Florida blank for the 2000 election, but shows up red for the 2004 possibilities.

he he.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    You can pretty much bank at least the following:

Alaska 3

Idaho 4

Montana 3

Wyoming 3

Utah 5

Nebraska 5

North Dakota 3

South Dakota 3

Kansas 6

Oklahoma 7

Texas 34

Indiana 11

Virginia 13

Kentucky 8

Tennessee 11

North Carolina 15

South Carolina 8

Alabama 9

Mississippi 6

19 States for 157 Electoral Votes. For the Donkey:

California 55

Washington 11

Oregon 7

Hawaii 4

Maryland 10

Delaware 3

DC 3

New Jersey 15

New York 31

Connecticut 7

Rhode Island 4

Massachusetts 12

Maine 4

13 States for 166.

That leaves:

Nevada 5

Arizona 10

New Mexico 5

Colorado 9

Minnesota 10

Iowa 7

Arkansas 6

Louisiana 9

Wisconsin 10

Illinois 21

Michigan 17

Missouri 11

Ohio 20

Pennsylvania 21

Vermont 3

New Hampshire 4

West Virginia 5

Florida 27

Georgia 15

Kentucky 8

19 States for 215.

The Democrats need 104. You have to expect that the elephant captures GA, KY, AR and LA even if those will be contested. Any realistic strategy for winning probably involves Eeyore getting down with MI, IL and PA. GOP could flip PA but if that happens then Bush gets another term probably so I'll assume that doesn't happen. That puts the Dems at 225. OH and CO most likely to the shrubbery so that gets you to 224 for 4 more years. Basically then you're back to the same thing as always, everyone spends all their time in FL because once you can add them you're over 250 and probably you can get there either way.

The one interesting thing to me is if Dean (were he the candidate) can flip some of hte more moderate Western states, Colorado, Nevada, and Arizona. They've been trending more moderate and libertarian plays much better out west than Bush's moralistic, big budget, Christian message which kills in the South. If not I think Bush is pretty much housed.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Bush isnt going to win PA. Rendell hasnt screwed up and he understands that he cant. Philly went to Street because of a get out the vote campaign mostly, if it was sucessful then, it sure as hell will be sucessful next year.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    You can also probably chalk up NH, Minnesota, Michigan and New Mexico for the Dems.

Illinois and Wisconsin are swing states... as is Colorado.

Dean will get Vermont if he gets the nomination.

If Clark gets it he could pull in Arkansas.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Let's look at this state by state.

The Republicans have a veritable lock on 21 states with 178 electoral votes:

Texas (34)

Oklahoma (7)

Kansas (6)

Nebraska (5)

North Dakota (3)

South Dakota (3)

Utah (5)

Mississippi (6)

Alabama (9)

Georgia (15)

South Carolina (8)

North Carolina (15)

Virginia (13)

Tennessee (11)

Arkansas (6) -- Yes, even if Clark runs

Kentucky (8)

Indiana (11)

Montana (3)

Wyoming (3)

Idaho (4)

Alaska (3)

The Republicans will almost certainly also win these 7 states, which will bring them to 247 electoral votes :

New Hampshire (4) -- Tax cuts trump all in New Hampshire

New Mexico (5) -- Gore won on a fluke

Louisiana (9) -- the most abnormal Southern state, but still Southern

Colorado (9) -- Swingable, but fairly solid GOP

Arizona (10) -- Same

Nevada (5) -- Same, but with prostitutes!

Florida (27) -- This state has drifted GOP since 2000

The Democrats can rely on the following 12 states and DC for 162 electoral votes:

California (55)

Washington (11)

Hawaii (4)

Maine (4)

Vermont (3)

Massachusetts (12)

Connecticut (7)

Rhode Island (4)

New York (31)

New Jersey (15)

Delaware (3)

Maryland (10)

DC (3)

The Democrats will almost certainly also win the following 5 states, raising their total to 217 electoral votes:

Wisconsin (10) -- close in 2000, but historically democratic

Minnesota (10) -- Same

Iowa (7) -- National GOP politics just plays poorly here

Illinois (21) -- Cook County usually delivers this to the donkeys

Oregon (7) -- Razor thin in 2000, but Bush's environmental record will help the Democrats here

Which leaves the entire election up to the following 5 states:

Michigan (Gore in 2000) (17)

Pennsylvania (Gore in 2000) (21)

West Virginia (Bush in 2000) (5)

Missouri (Bush in 2000) (11)

Ohio (Bush in 2000) (20)

In other words, the presidential battleground has shifted to the Mid-West, which as demographic trends go is a good thing for the Democratic Party, given Union strength and the appeal of the New Democrat sort of "Third Way" in this region.

None of these states went to their respective winners in 2000 by more than 6 percentage points. And some of these states have mutually exclusive demographics -- for instance, Bush has pissed off voters in both Michigan and Pennsylvania at different points with his steel tariffs imbroglio, which exacerbate the union situation in both states, making them hard for him to pick up. If the Democrats get both of these states, then they just need two of the other three to win. Of the two, look for Bush to make his biggest push for Pennsylvania, where the deeply-rooted Catholic religiosity could help him overcome

Bush probably has the inside track on Ohio, which despite it's Mid-West character is more like Indiana than it is Michigan or Pennsylvania. If Bush gets Ohio and West Virginia, he wins. West Virginia, however, is a heavily-Democratic state, and Bush's win there was something of an upset in 2000.

Missouri is always a tight race whenever the electorate is sharply divided, as it is likely to be in November, given the way that Missouri demographics so closely tend to mirror national trends.

So for all the sturm and drang that will come in the Fall, look for most of the political attention to be concentrated in the Mid-West and Missouri. If you live in West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Missouri, be prepared to be inundated with political ads. Because unless the Subelt West opens up for the Democrats or the Northeast for the Republicans, the Mid-West is where this election will finally be fought and won.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

How does New York City traditionally vote?

Democratic and heavily too. Bush was popular in NYC after 9/11, but the EPA disaster and the upcoming RNC convention will loose him any goodwill he had. If there is anything that New Yorkers hate it's big wigs that fück up traffic.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    If Dean wins it's game over.

NY will go to Bush.

FL will go to Bush.

CA will go to Bush.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I hope Church wins...

oh... oops... wrong "Red and Blue"...
  • Reply 15 of 29
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Blue shift... what does that mean game over?

NY and CA will NOT... I REPEAT. NOT go to Bush.

Pataki, Bloomberg and Bush aren't very popular here at the moment.

And Californeeya went to Gore last time. And it will go for a democrat again.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

New Hampshire (4) -- Tax cuts trump all in New Hampshire

With 70% of the state's reserves called to duty in Afghanistan or Iraq, people around here don't give a damn about tax cuts at the moment. Taxes on the state level, people care about. Taxes on the national level, are mainly ignored, unless it calls for some kind of national sales tax.

Plus, people are still upset about the federal government trying to change logging regulations in our state parks (which are *huge* in NH), and the fall of the Old Man only brought the issue to the front. Benson's handling of the whole situation sent his numbers plunging.

Also, if Dean was to win the nomination, he's from right next door in Vermont, and that does help his chances here quite a bit. He has basically lived in NH since the beginning of the campaign, which is a big reason he has such a large lead up here. Likewise, if Clark wins the nomination, his strong military record/background is going to really help him up here.

Most of these states that are so called 'locked up' for both sides really aren't. I think if any thing, states are more likely to stay 'red' now instead of 'blue', but there hasn't even been a primary yet. and we're talking about who is going to win the general election. It's just way too early to tell.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blue Shift

If Dean wins it's game over.

NY will go to Bush.

FL will go to Bush.

CA will go to Bush.

Florida will likely go to Bush regardless of the Democratic nominee. New York and California will not, unless the Democrats were to nominate Dennis Kucinich.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Blue shift... what does that mean game over?

NY and CA will NOT... I REPEAT. NOT go to Bush.

Pataki, Bloomberg and Bush aren't very popular here at the moment.

And Californeeya went to Gore last time. And it will go for a democrat again.

Mark my words!

Whether you agree or disagree with him, like or dislike him, Bush has a spine. He stood up, said what he had to say, and followed through in an unwavering manner - despite scathing WORLD criticism. Dean, as many of his Democratic rivals have already pointed out, has been all over the map - and just with regards to Iraq. Dean very soon, will also have to make a sprint to the right if he wishes for any chance of success in the general election.. and this is where he will automaticaly lose.

My theory is, people vote someone for president based on how trustworthy they perceive that person to be. And Dean is going to come out a big loser in this regard. Dean, in sharp contrast to Bush, will be perceived, and rightly so, as yet another spineless politician whose words cannot be trusted and whose actions are determined by political expediency. Hence, the predicted LANDSLIDE defeat for Dean..
  • Reply 19 of 29
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I think there's plenty of evidence that Bush says one thing than does another.

No child left behind. UNFUNDED.

Medicare. UNFUNDED

Protecting the environtment. Then opening up our national forrests and reserves to lumber and energy interests.

That tireless search for Osama? Can't catch him if you're looking in IRAQ.

The list goes ON and ON.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    If the people vote for the guy who they think is most trustworthy, why did Clinton clobber Bob Dole in 1996?