How to install Classic in Panther ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The title says it all. I want to install classic in Panther, but I can't find it on any of my CDs.

Please ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

The title says it all. I want to install classic in Panther, but I can't find it on any of my CDs.

Please ?

Thanks.

Borrow a copy of a friend's MacOS 9.2 CD.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I mean, I need to have classic installed under panther, so I can run old apps !
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Classic is (essentially) Mac OS 9.2.

Install 9.2 and you get Classic.

Remove 9.2 and Classic is gone.

Simple as that.

The first time you start Classic under Mac OS X, it will say it is going to modify the OS9 System Folder to add some updated files. This doesn't hamper OS9 itself if you ever need to actually boot to OS9.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I received my 15" Al PB one month ago with Panther installed.

It has Classic as an integral component. I did not have to install anything in addition. The Macintosh HD has two application folders: "Applications" and "Applications (Mac OS 9)". I just tried the "Graphing Calculator", which was pre-installed in that "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder, and it

launched Classic (OS 9) and then the app itself. This agrees with what an Apple wizard (sic?) had told me before I bought the PB: OS 9 (Classic) is part of Panther and does not need to be installed. I am not sure that this is also applicable for upgrades from an older OS.

Brad, please correct me if I am wrong.

- Stephen
  • Reply 5 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The essential part required to run Classic is an OS 9 system folder. It's usually provided with your computer. You just need to find an OS 9 install CD and use that to install OS 9 on your computer. After that there will be a few folders related to OS 9 - specifically, System Folder (not System, which is used by OS X) and Applications (Mac OS 9). It might help to label the OS 9 folders with a color label so you can distinguish them.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    OK so here's a question... what if someone has a newer machine that doesnt boot OS 9. Do those still boot from an OS 9 install CD or is it just included on that machines System Restore discs or something?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if you dont have classic installed... and the installer for OS 9 is a classic app... how do you install it without booting from the CD? (which isn't possible on newer hardware...)
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

OK so here's a question... what if someone has a newer machine that doesnt boot OS 9. Do those still boot from an OS 9 install CD or is it just included on that machines System Restore discs or something?

A newer machine running Panther has the Classic feature installed. You can start and stop Classic (OS 9) from System Preferences -> System -> Classic. You can put the Classic Status (and control) in the Menu Bar. 'Older' OS 9 apps will launch automatically Classic (OS 9).
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Actually, my problem was this :

I had Jaguar installed on my dual machine.

Yesterday, I installed Panther on an empty partition. It installed fine, except there was no OS 9 folder. I searched on the Panther CDs and found nothing related to classic/OS 9. I had to manually copy the old OS 9 folder from my Jaguar partition to the other partition. Did Classic come with Panther or not ?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

Did Classic come with Panther or not ?

Classic comes with Panther installed on new machines. I did not find it on the upgrade CD's, though, however, I would think that they are an integral part of the 10.3. Did you check in your System Preferences for Classic?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by slb6r

Classic comes with Panther installed on new machines. I did not find it on the upgrade CD's, though, however, I would think that they are an integral part of the 10.3. Did you check in your System Preferences for Classic?

Of course I checked. It only showed the old one on the Jaguar partition.

I find it very frustrating that it wasn't an integral part of the upgrade kit.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Classic is not part of Panther, you need to install it separately from your system restore disks.

If you don't have a copy of 9.2 you can order it from Apple for $19.95.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Hello,

If your computer came with Jaguar preinstalled you should have a system restore disk (mine is dark gray) with the classic environment on it. The disk will have a package to install "additional aplications and classic support" or something similar to that. Use this to install the OS 9.2 environment. This is also where you have to install iDVD from on a clean Panther system because Panther itself does not come with it.

Michael
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Oh Hoorah, I was just muddling my way through this very problem this morning over a cup of coffee. But my problem is a bit different. I have an old Sage iMac that came installed with 9.04. Apple KB says that you can drag the 9.1-9.2.2 system folder off the original CD to get Classic support. But what about 9.04? Is my only option to buy the OS 9.2.2 CD?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Oh Hoorah, I was just muddling my way through this very problem this morning over a cup of coffee. But my problem is a bit different. I have an old Sage iMac that came installed with 9.04. Apple KB says that you can drag the 9.1-9.2.2 system folder off the original CD to get Classic support. But what about 9.04? Is my only option to buy the OS 9.2.2 CD?

Oh, please. MacOS 9.2.2 few new features compared to MacOS 9.0.4. However, there are many hardware optimizations and bug fixes. Install 9.2.2 and be happy.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Oh, please. MacOS 9.2.2 few new features compared to MacOS 9.0.4. However, there are many hardware optimizations and bug fixes. Install 9.2.2 and be happy.

Well Mr. Snarkey-Pants, thanks for answering my question. My concern is not missing features available in 9.2.2, my concern is whether or not 9.04 will work. I seem to recall Apple highly recommending upgrading to 9.2.2 before installing OS X. Can I install 9.04 from my Software Restore CD without starting from scratch? Can I drag the 9.04 System Folder onto my Hard Drive, boot into OS 9 and upgrade to 9.2.2. Is 9.04 good enough for Classic Support?

Answer these questions and my happiness will be fulfilled and your pants shall no loner be snarkey.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    you must use 9.2.2.......

is that clear enough?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slb6r

A newer machine running Panther has the Classic feature installed. You can start and stop Classic (OS 9) from System Preferences -> System -> Classic. You can put the Classic Status (and control) in the Menu Bar. 'Older' OS 9 apps will launch automatically Classic (OS 9).

Yes I know how Classic works. I'm talking about how one goes about *installing* OS 9 for use in Classic on one of the newer machines that won't boot OS 9.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

Yes I know how Classic works. I'm talking about how one goes about *installing* OS 9 for use in Classic on one of the newer machines that won't boot OS 9.

When i upgraded to Panther on a new partition (12" 1Ghz PB), I just dragged the old System Folder (from my Jaguar install off the restore CDs), and everything worked.

You don't have to actually run an installer for OS 9 system folders, as long as everything is there, it should work fine, even if it comes from a different computer (you may have to "bless" the folder possibly but that's a different story).
  • Reply 20 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    A lot of people making a lot of assumptions and it sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. I'll just present a bunch of facts:

- The earliest supported OS for Classic Mode is 9.1. However, 9.2.2 is recommended.

- It's free to update from 9.0.x or 9.1 to 9.2.2. If you have OS 9.0, for instance, you can first get the 9.1 update, then the 9.2.1 update, and finally the 9.2.2 update. They're big, but they should help.

- OS 9 is not part of Panther. It's not part of any version of OS X. The Classic Environment is a feature of every version of OS X, so if you have an OS 9 system folder, it'll use it to run the Classic Environment. If you buy Panther CDs, you don't get OS 9 with it. That's like asking for Windows 98 to be included with a Windows XP CD.

- OS 9 is included with all new Macs. Even if you can't boot into OS 9 directly, you can still use it to run the Classic Environment.

- If you have an OS 9 system folder, back it up by just burning it to a CD. OS 9 doesn't use hidden files so you can easily just drag a system folder from one hard drive/partition/computer to another and it'll work fine. You don't need to boot from an OS 9 CD to install OS 9. I think you can even "boot" from an OS 9 install CD using Classic mode, by running Classic from the CD's barebones system folder. That'll allow you to install OS 9 on your computer. But I haven't tried it so I'm not sure.