How to install Classic in Panther ?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

... I think you can even "boot" from an OS 9 install CD using Classic mode, by running Classic from the CD's barebones system folder. That'll allow you to install OS 9 on your computer. But I haven't tried it so I'm not sure.

Excellent post. Howewever, if your computer can't boot from MacOS 9, it can't boot from a MacOS 9 CD. For those, the drag and drop installation works fine. You can attach an external MacOS 9 drive to your Mac and use that for your Classic environment. You can even copy multiple installations of MacOS 9 to your Mac's hard disk and chose among them.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    For my newer G4 1.25Ghz I used the system restore disk and installed "Classic support" (After a clean install of Panther). Slick.

For my older G4/450 Sawtooth, I did a "Clean Install" of OS 9 right over the top of Panther. This worked fine, but I didn't really need ALL the crap that gets installed just for Classic.

Is there somewhere I can find out how to customize an OS 9 installation to include JUST the components necessary for Classic to work?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

For my newer G4 1.25Ghz I used the system restore disk and installed "Classic support" (After a clean install of Panther). Slick.

For my older G4/450 Sawtooth, I did a "Clean Install" of OS 9 right over the top of Panther. This worked fine, but I didn't really need ALL the crap that gets installed just for Classic.

Is there somewhere I can find out how to customize an OS 9 installation to include JUST the components necessary for Classic to work?

If you don't want Netscape Communicator 4.7x, then remove it. How hard can that be?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

Work doing what? Depends what you require... wacom? joystick? av? misc?

Panther's System Preferences panel has an item called Classic (also available from the menubar if you've ticked the box) where you can access the Classic preferences and effectively select a "Minimal Startup Set" by specifying settings from the OS 9 Extensions Manager.

you could also check pages like this from halfway down more obvious places

• Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

... Can I install 9.04 from my Software Restore CD without starting from scratch? ...Is 9.04 good enough for Classic Support?

answer in a nutshell:

1. NO, you can`t.

2. NO, it is not.

solution: you HAVE to get a copy with a qualified classic system, --> 9.2.x

I know it, because i walked through it;-)

best
  • Reply 26 of 29
    I was looking for something like:

http://www.lowendmac.com/practical/02/0507.html

... but instead of deactivating non-essential extensions, I was interested in being able to customize an OS 9 installation to not include unneeded components in the first place.

(Similar to the old days when you could create a minimum System Folder for booting off a floppy.)

curiousuburb's links were not helpful for this.

An OS 9 installation can be as large as 500 MB or more. A "Classic only" installation may only be < 100 MB. On an older machine with a smaller hard drive this is a consideration.

Okay... I think I found what I was looking for:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m...le.jhtml?term=
  • Reply 27 of 29
    If you have a newer Mac without an OS9 CD, then classic is in a folder called .images at the root of your restore CD/DVD. It's a dmg usually called OS9General.dmg. You can simply mount this and copy (or use the CLI command 'ditto --rsrc') the System Folder to your HD. You could even mount the dmg with a shadow file (man hdid) and just run Classic from there. With Macs that supported OS9 booting eg last model eMacs or Dual 1.2 G4s, this is a complete 9.2.2 suitable to boot any compatible Mac, however, the newer discs have a stripped down classic which is missing those CPs, extensions etc that are necessary for a fully functioning OS9 boot.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Thanx Jelly... that is exactly what I needed!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Oh Hoorah, I was just muddling my way through this very problem this morning over a cup of coffee. But my problem is a bit different. I have an old Sage iMac that came installed with 9.04. Apple KB says that you can drag the 9.1-9.2.2 system folder off the original CD to get Classic support. But what about 9.04? Is my only option to buy the OS 9.2.2 CD?

I do not believe you must buy anything new if you own a version of OS 9 (the system which adds Classic support to OSX). You can install 9.0.4, and you can use it as an OS for your iMac (not Classic within OS X). To gain OS X Classic support, you must run Software Update (while booted into OS 9 on your Sage iMac) to update your OS 9 system. OS 9 version 9.2.2 is the latest and greatest of the OS 9 implementations, and so you do want to use this version with OS X (especially Panther), although other versions from 9.1 forward will function as a Classic environment for you.