Best 2 button mouse with scroll wheel

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A recent post reminded me to ask this question, and I didn't want to usurp the original thread, so here goes one of the easiest questions ever:

What is the best 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel? I would prefer not to have batteries to replace, etc.., so I guess that must meen sticking with a corded device? Or is there a wireless mouse that has a base station that is the source of the power supply?

I always think that as soon as I buy one, apple is going to come out with a great one. I've been thinking that for years, enough is enough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I like my mouse, but there is nothing real great about it. It was the cheapest mouse I could find that met my needs. It's a HP two button mouse with a scroll wheel that works well. It's symmetric from left to right which is handy for me because I like to use my mouse with my left hand when I can. It's not optical. It costed about $20 or less. It works great for me.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Kensington Studio Mouse. The Best ever.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I bought a Logitech Optical Mouse (USB w/ removable PS2 adapter) from Wal-Mart. It's about 20 bucks. It has two buttons and a (rather stiff) scroll wheel, and it's optical, which means there's no ball, it uses a laser. Which is nice. I like it, works perfect. I don't know that much about mouses (mice?), but there's definitely nothing wrong with it.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I bought a Logitech Optical Mouse (USB w/ removable PS2 adapter) from Wal-Mart. It's about 20 bucks. It has two buttons and a (rather stiff) scroll wheel, and it's optical, which means there's no ball, it uses a laser. Which is nice. I like it, works perfect. I don't know that much about mouses (mice?), but there's definitely nothing wrong with it.

Logitech optical cordless mouse. I have had one for two years. No comparison, it is a wonderful mouse and I am glad I got it. Fits my hand great and I like the stiff resistance of the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I also like the Logitech Optical Mouse. It's probably not the best around, but it's certainly inexpensive.

I found that after a while, the scroll wheel clicking and scrolling didn't sync, so it would scroll twice in one click sometimes, or at points between the click (a friend also had that problem, seems like a design flaw).

If you don't like the stiff scrolling, you can do what I did and crack it open and remove the spring it solved my problem .

(If you want a good, cheap mouse, get the Logitech Optical Mouse; if you've got money to spare, grab something else.)
  • Reply 6 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Logitech. MX300 is awesome, MX500 is awesomer if you want extra buttons (7 buttons + scroll, good for Exposé). Their standard 2 button + scroll mouse is almost as good as the MX300 and it's under $20.

Kensington can my . I tried the Studio Mouse. Horrible piece of . Requires a huge amount of pressure to allow the "scroll sensor" to work. Leaves your finger in pain after half an hour or so.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AugustWest

is there a wireless mouse that has a base station that is the source of the power supply?

Yes there is. Logitech MX 700.

Cordless and rechargeable mouse.

The (usb) base station is also the radio frequency receiver.

I will buy this one as soon as my g5 arrives.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1
  • Reply 8 of 24
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Kensington can my .

WHAT?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

WHAT?

Well... it can do something shocking () to my thing that looks like what the guy has in his mouth.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AugustWest

A recent post reminded me to ask this question, and I didn't want to usurp the original thread, so here goes one of the easiest questions ever:

What is the best 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel? I would prefer not to have batteries to replace, etc.., so I guess that must meen sticking with a corded device? Or is there a wireless mouse that has a base station that is the source of the power supply?

I always think that as soon as I buy one, apple is going to come out with a great one. I've been thinking that for years, enough is enough.

Logitech's Click! Optical mouse works awesome for me. I love the way its designed, the tracking is precise, and it looks good. It also has a small "Bonus Button" that you can assign to do whatever, like Expose. And it's a Logitech mouse, so everything is very customizable from the Logitech Control Center prefpane. I highly recommend it, and it only costs $20 here

Here's a review by InsideMacGames: link

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with it. You can also get a wireless version, if that's your thing.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    At the risk of getting shot ....

I have a Microsoft wireless optical mouse. Two buttons, very smooth scroll wheel, and the mouse software that comes with it enables the cool horizontal scrolling feature (the scroll wheel rocks from side to side, I really dig it).

It was $39.99 at Microcenter. And yes...I agonized about getting that verses a Logitech mouse described above. What sold me was the horizontal scroll feature. Yes, I said it. My name is VanDeWaals, and I own Microsoft hardware.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    This is the one I use (mine is in silver/blue). "Five" button mouse (if you include the wheel as click button). I personally can't stand any mouse with fewer than 5 buttons

• Reply 13 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

Two buttons, very smooth scroll wheel, and the mouse software that comes with it enables the cool horizontal scrolling feature (the scroll wheel rocks from side to side, I really dig it).

You do, of course, know that in OS X you can hold down shift and scroll to scroll horizontally.

Or at least I think it's shift, might be option.

Can I shoot you now?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

Logitech Mini Optical Mouse

Cheap

Good

Short cable (cool for Laptops) with extension (can still use with desktops)
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You do, of course, know that in OS X you can hold down shift and scroll to scroll horizontally.

Or at least I think it's shift, might be option.

Can I shoot you now?

So I sold my soul to Bill for no reason? Dammit!

Oh..I thought of another reason. The comparably priced Logitech mouse is a little flatter and didn't feel as comfortable. So...ha!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I have a Logitech MX700, which I think is pretty good for general work, but after an year of use or so, I find myself wanting a non-contoured mouse.

For my next mouse I'd have to pick a Logitech MX300 because it's lighter, more balanced and good for rapid movement. Arguably the best thing out there if you are into serious gaming.

The Logitechs are good otherwise but I think they should drop the extra buttons, they're worthless on the MX700. The ergonomics are so bad the extra buttons are a bother to use normally, and impossible to use in gaming. A plus side to having the buttons impossible to use is that you don't press them accidentally, I did this with Microsoft mice that had a lot of buttons.

Anyway, if you have to get cordless you might want to consider Logitech's newer model (MX900?). It adds Bluetooth to the computer as well.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have 4 cheap Logitech optical mice, each for a different computer. I don't need bells&whistles and they just work. I had one die but a friend had his USB power wrong and the mouse fried. Other than that they are hardy little buggers.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    If it is for use with a PB then I can heartily recommend this little rodent: click me

It is small, elegant (matches the sleek design and colour of the Ti and Al books) and corded - which I think is a good thing, b/c if it were Bluetooth enabled, there is every chance that I would either forget to pack it up with my laptop when I leave, or somebody may easily steal it if I wasn't looking.

Also Logitech have their stuff working well with OS X which is good to know!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That thing CAN'T be comfortable!
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Kensington Studio Mouse. The Best ever.

I agree! While the Scroll Sensor does take a little getting used to, I wouldn't give it up now. It makes it as easy to scroll rapidly through long documents as to scroll a few lines at a time.

I find the Scroll Sensor takes very light pressure as long as you use the tip of your finger to cleanly hit the sensor's zones; if you are pressing across two zones, then it does take a lot of pressure to get it to work -- after a little practice I had it down consistently. I recommend it.