changing startup sound

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler

Having perfect pitch, I believe the startup chord is either D-flat major or G-flat major... I can't quite remember, and I'm not going to restart my Mac just to find out. :P

EDIT: fine, so I did reboot just to find out. It's sort of G-flat, but a quarter-tone or so flatter than your average A=440hz G flat.

Sure wish I had perfect pitch... Our choir teacher does and it never ceases to amaze me how she can recognize any note perfectly or sing one... So ya anyways. I am pretty surprised myself that they didn't change the startup sound for the G5's. It was one of the first things I wondered when the reviews of the G5's started to come in.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

OooOoOoo... I wonder, is there any way to change the start up sound of my mac? the "duuum" sound does grow old after many many years

For the love of god, if you're asking this to put, dare I say it, a windows startup sound on ...I just don't think I could be held responsible for my actions.

You'd basically have to figure out what format the audio is in and then create/find a bit of software that would flash the chip it's stored on to replace the audio. Myself? I could care less about the sound my computer makes when it starts up. I'm just glad to be sitting in front of my new powerbook everyday.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    I wanted to put a intel sound on. LOL!!! just as bad. I find it ironic... to say the least if I could do it
  • Reply 24 of 44
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I wanted to put a intel sound on. LOL!!! just as bad. I find it ironic... to say the least if I could do it

If you can't do that, settle for a Blue Screen of Death screensaver. It's quite amusing. (Just get a screenshot of a BSOD, yes you can, and play it as a slide show.)
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eudaimic

God I hate that sound! It's the only thing I'm tired of in my PB

How could you? It's awesome. And after using Macs since before they were Macs (Apple II) I still love it. However, my Cube no longer does it. Can't figure out why, tried zapping the PRAM, but that didn't do it. I miss it though. But I still have my sawtooth, 6400, LC, Mac +, and Apple II to hear it from.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    well , i have a solution to take it off 100% i got this link off a macnn forum and im using it . and seems to work fine, the only thing wrong is that its in japaneese but its a basic install so all the buttons are the same try it if you like and let me know if it helps

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/

and the direct download link to this pref pane;

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/...fPane100.dmg.gz

8)
  • Reply 27 of 44
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The 6400's bass speaker sounds great on startup, expecially if the regular speakers aren't on. Everyone in the house knew when the Mac was turned on.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Macs dont post, they sing on the pc side look at the 286's and befor running win 1,2 ,3.1 and even DOS they all have 1 thing in common with moddern pc's (outside of forced reliance on micro$haft) it is that all pc's form the 80286(and befor) to the fastest pentium IV start with the most annoying beep what i would give to turn that off, WAIT i can, some bioses allow posting to be disabled, (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK) does mac have a firmware setting control anyware? equivelent to a bios but like most other stuff on mac, done better than pc?

P.S. does bill gates have a 'Microshaft'? jk lol
  • Reply 29 of 44
    After thorough and scientific research using the latest in Digital Signal Processing techniques, chord analyzers, Root tone verification modules, and optimal psycho-acoustic algorhythms, I have determined the pitch and key of the PowerMac startup Sound:

Q-flarp.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Can anyone find and record what the mac sound is? For those of you talking about the Windows startup sound, this is what I'm stuck with
  • Reply 31 of 44
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Can anyone find and record what the mac sound is? For those of you talking about the Windows startup sound, this is what I'm stuck with

Every Mac that has ever made a start-up sound can be heard in MacTracker.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Um, can someone record it (Yes, I have Windows...)
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

Um, can someone record it (Yes, I have Windows...)

MacTracker will run on Windows. Just go to the homepage (http://www.mactracker.ca/) and click the "For Windows" link.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Easy solution...buy external speakers and keep them off until your mac started up...that's what I do. You don't only get better sound from nicer speakers but you don't hear that booooooooooooom any more.

Lates!
  • Reply 35 of 44
    galengalen Posts: 46member
    I noticed somone mentioned mactracker. What are the "death chimes" in that program? when did older macs play that sound?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by fiskone

well , i have a solution to take it off 100% i got this link off a macnn forum and im using it . and seems to work fine, the only thing wrong is that its in japaneese but its a basic install so all the buttons are the same try it if you like and let me know if it helps

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/

and the direct download link to this pref pane;

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/...fPane100.dmg.gz

8)

your link dosent work...
  • Reply 37 of 44
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Galen

I noticed somone mentioned mactracker. What are the "death chimes" in that program? when did older macs play that sound?

If the computer was dead and you got the most dreaded "Sad Mac" at boot, you got one of the death chimes. I can't tell you how terrifying it was to get a sad Mac at boot. Looks like this:

• Reply 38 of 44
    thunderpit , think this is the right one.

the download button is the 2nd blue link on this page.

if you have any probs just email me..

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/software.html
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

different macs had different startup/deathchime sounds, so there isn't really a single 'mac sound'

from an old thread on startup sounds

collections of old mac startup/deathchime sounds for those who don't understand what people are referring to:

as embedded quicktime files - listen here

or

as click-for-new-window quicktime files - click to listen here

• Reply 40 of 44
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Oh man, when I first heard the deathchime for my Performa 636, I almost crapped my pants. Having worked with PCs and learning how many beeps means what went wrong with POST, I much prefer the death chime. It may not tell you what is wrong, but you can tell something IS wrong. A quick question: Can you get OS X to play a video when starting up like you could in Classic?