Terror Alert Moves to High, Orange.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031221/D7VITS9O0.html

Well obviously a lot of chatter has been picked up. I still get nervous when this happens....and you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 276
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I get nervous because we're overdue for something to happen, not because of the Terror Alert color (which I pay little head to because IMO it basically is meaningless - they're just guessing when you get down to it).
  • Reply 2 of 276
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I could care less about the terror alerts.... they mean shit. There is no noticeable difference when the terror level gets up there and considering we are only, what, one level away from the absolute highest alert I feel its a sham. why? Because if we are truly one level away from the highest, things should be happening. checkpoints should be back, bridges should be closed, perhaps even flights halted.

it just seems like the bottom levels are unapproachable and that they jump to the highest levels too easily and therefore they mean nothing to me.
  • Reply 3 of 276
    sadly, i think we are due another attack in the US, so i think this alert may mean something
  • Reply 4 of 276
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge.

- Lao Tzu.
  • Reply 5 of 276
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I sincerely hope that our guys can put a bullet through her/his/their eye/eyes before a terrorist act is carried out.

If that fails, then I hope that we nuke her/his/their home town/towns in reprisal if any Americans are killed.

Happy Holidays.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 6 of 276
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

If that fails, then I hope that we nuke her/his/their home town/towns in reprisal if any Americans are killed.

Better not hope that town is new york then.
  • Reply 7 of 276
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Goodbye Oklahoma. What McVeigh started, Aries would finish.
  • Reply 8 of 276
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Or maybe Aries was just being a wise ass?
  • Reply 9 of 276
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Or maybe Aries was just being a wise ass?

So was Harry Truman.
  • Reply 10 of 276
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Better not hope that town is new york then.

Sweet Jesus ! : now i understand why Aries live in a crater
  • Reply 11 of 276
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I could care less about the terror alerts.... they mean shit.

Couldn't care less.

Well, unless you care a little bit about them, in which case, nevermind.

• Reply 12 of 276
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Terror Alert Moves to High, Orange.

Yet Dean gets lambasted for saying that capturing Saddam hasn't made us any safer. The irony.
  • Reply 13 of 276
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Yet Dean gets lambasted for saying that capturing Saddam hasn't made us any safer. The irony.

Who really cares what Dean says.

I would wather talk to a wabbit

Fellows
  • Reply 14 of 276
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Couldn't care less.

Well, unless you care a little bit about them, in which case, nevermind.

you commie bastard!
  • Reply 15 of 276
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    They raise the alert to orange: what next?

When the alert is raised (to orange), wouldn't that make it less likely that an attack is about to happen because the terrorists will be more wary of launching their attack because of a greater chance of being caught due to heightened security measures? One would imagine that a terror attack will take place when the alert has been lowered and security agencies are least expecting it, electronic chatter or not.

Is the greater likelyhood of a terror attack the inverse of the color code?
  • Reply 16 of 276
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well this thread is on High Alert as far going to total hell is concerned!
  • Reply 17 of 276
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Well, NYC is always one level above the national level, so I guess that means were at whatever the next level is

Alls I know is that I have enough food and water in my house to last two weeks and I have a subway stop that is below bedrock three blocks away.

Oh, and I have a go bag. I'm guessing that only New Yorkers see those ads on tv.
  • Reply 18 of 276
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I was telling people 3 weeks ago that the terrorist alert level would go up right before Christmas. I'm not surprised it happened.

Something that does concern me though, is that they said the cities that could be targetted are "New York, Washington, and some un-named cities on the West Coast". When asked why the cities on the West Coast were not being named, they said they didn't want to alarm anyone. Isn't that the whole damn point of these terrorist alert warnings?
  • Reply 19 of 276
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    repeat after me:

"there is no terrorist threat"

"there is no terrorist threat"

0 People died in terrorist incidents within the US in 02 and 03 combined. Even including the attacks in 01, you have a far far far higher likelihood dying of cancer, depression (via suicide), a car wreck (of course) and pretty much any other way of death you can imagine.

If we'd move 50% of the terror funding into improving highway safety, we would save thousands upon thousands of lives each year.

We seem to have misplaced fears. Well, not totally misplaced. When a bunch of people die at once it is very very scary.
  • Reply 20 of 276
    I think that one of the unmeasurable side-effects of the heightened state of alert is that more eyes will be trained on normally ignored activity. I don't watch America's Most Wanted, but somebody is. They consistently capture wanted criminals because somebody saw an episode of the show. If you take that example and increase it one-hundred fold then you begin to have the potential that someone somewhere will note odd behavior and expose a plot before it has time to mature to fruition.

Sure, the alerts seem silly, but it only takes one keen pair of eyes to save thousands of lives.

Hardly something to casually brush off.