Think Secret - "no new CPU announcements"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Mini iPods, major iLife update focus of upcoming Expo keynote

Is this possible? I thought a revamped G5 lineup was a lock. I hadn't even considered the possibility of it not happening.

The iMacs, PowerBooks and iBooks are a different story I think - it's not that much of a stretch to say they'll remain untouched until a little later. But damn, I hadn't considered a MWSF without new G5's.

Although, a little 2GB iPod would be a nice gift for myself...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    it would surprise me if there wasn't "one more thing" at MWSF, being updated PM or a G5 iMac...though maybe they will do a superbowl time frame announcement (20th anniversary of 1984 etc)...but why wait those 2 to 3 weeks???

anyways, i would likely grab a couple of mini pods for the kids...

as for the PM update or a G5 iMac...paging neworder....give us the dirt please

g

ps...hey bot, going through withdrawal?? i think apple should "have to" update on a regular basis just so you can buy new machines all the time...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    PowerMacs are often updated a couple weeks to a month after MWSF. But the past three Januaries have seen PowerMac updates, so I would definitely say they'll be updated sometime soon, if not at MWSF.

Of course, ThinkSecret said that there wouldn't be any new or updated computers at the last MWSF and look what happened - 12" and 17" PowerBooks!
  • Reply 3 of 43
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I always have a feeling that the iPod and iMac are gonna be the star in the show.

PowerMac should be end of January or Februrary.....so that mine can be the "fastest Mac ever" for a few more weeks

Hey, what about the announcement of Discreet's acquirsition (Cleaner, Combusion. No MAX) in the show?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    It has become a regular pattern of Apple's to not introduce their winter PowerMac updates at the January MacWorld. There is usually just a speed bump around Jan 21st, or later. Rumours aside, I think its a bit unrealistic to expect more than a speed bump this time out. I'd hold out for Steve fullfilling his 3GHz promise mid-year with a splash.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Looks like iLife, mini iPods and xServe will be the focus.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ok

you all have heard the news.

no less an authority than "THINK SECRET" has said the upcoming MWSF2004 will focus on music.

there will be NO new CPUS for laptops or desktops.

i can already hear your groans but hear me out.

apple revamped almost EVERY hardware offering last year.

2003 was a very busy one for apple on the hardware front.

i think they nned to take a deep breath an refocus,and i believe they ARE refocusing.

lets accentuate the positive.

the purported new low end ipods.

THINK SECRET says the low end model will only cost 100 dollars!

this is awesome!

how many times has apple neglected the "low end" of any of their markets?

not this time!

apple has a change to put a death lock on the portable MP3 player market!

this is great news!

as for iLIFE?

we will have to wait and see what the "major revamp" entails.

i have a itching feeling that their will be a new DLD introduced at MWSF2004.

dont ask me how or why but this would be the perfect time to do so.

maybe the will anounce new XSERVES at MWSF2004.

that means NOT announce but INTRODUCE.

this is way overdue.

lets sit back and enjoy the show!

the digital lifestyle market is the future for apple computer and they know it.

• Reply 7 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I agree.

really happy.

think I'll get a 2GB iPod for sure.

hardware updates.

later in january.

yeah.

must fix

twitch in

right pinky

finger

damn enter key
  • Reply 8 of 43
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    No if it is just speed bumps he won't make an announcement. The Apple store will go down when he stands up and when he sits down the Apple store will come up. I expect we will see some faster PowerMacs for sale.

Might follow in a week or so, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I agree.

really happy.

hardware updates.

later in january.

yeah.

must fix

twitch in

right pinky

finger

damn enter key

Stop spamming, prick

• Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slurgot

I agree.

really happy.

hardware updates.

later in january.

yeah.

must fix

twitch in

right pinky

finger

damn enter key

bwawhahahaha

ha

ahahaha

ha

ha

ha
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Can someone explain to me how the keynote can run 2+ hours (according to TS sources) when it's only scheduled for 1.5 hrs according to IDG?

And I can see Steve could use up 1.5 hrs on software announcements by doing demos and such, but that wouldn't be as entertaining as he usually prefers.

Also, note that TS does say there will be "major" XServe news. So an hour of software updates, iTunes and new iPods followed by .5 hr of "one last thing" is quite likely in my book. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a 3U XServe bladeserver (iGrid) announcement.

• Reply 12 of 43
    it confuses me when i hear that apple won't release PMs at MWSF because it is a consumer show, yet then the same people say that apple will release the Xserve there?? so the PMs are pro machines but the Xserve isn't??

if the one more thing is an iMac G5 at 1.6 and 1.8 then you can assume that powermac speedbumps will come shortly there-after---maybe end of january at latest...if no iMac G5 is shown, then it will be a special event release around the superbowl

g

long keynote by SJ along with live webcast = good stuff coming
  • Reply 13 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I agree.

really happy.

hardware updates.

later in january.

yeah.

must fix

twitch in

right pinky

finger

damn enter key

must

resist urge

to

keep hitting

that darned enter

key

that

keeps getting hit

must

be a hardware

error with this

cheap-o keyboard

thingy

from that

German low-end

retailer

known as

Medion

could be

who knows

I think that

an iPod below

$150

would

be totally

goddamn

awesome

though I might

not buy it

or maybe I will

!
  • Reply 14 of 43
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    whats with the run-on sentence?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    is it just me, or does the TS statement just read as "won't announce 90nm G5's" at MWSF? I feel like G5's with 2.0-2.4 130nm 970's is still a strong possibility. That might go along with the news we heard about 2.4 being the top (vs. 2.6). Cuz the 130nm G5's are topping out at 2.4?

whatever, f-u-d-e-l-l-!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Eh, I just figure we wait until 3-4 weeks after MWSF and we'll hit 2.6 GHz then. Then they'll be on course for 3 GHz by June 2004.

Again, PowerMacs haven't been updated at a Macworld for a while. They were updated a few weeks after MWSF 2003, a few weeks after MWNY 2002, and a few weeks after MWSF 2002. It'll be no surprise to me if they're not updated in early January.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Can someone explain to me how the keynote can run 2+ hours (according to TS sources) when it's only scheduled for 1.5 hrs according to IDG?

Steve doesnt have to pay extra if he does the 'One more thing'-thing...
  • Reply 18 of 43
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I realize we're all in awe of Think Secret, but releasing an updated Xserve at MWSF just doesn't make sense. The original one wasn't released at a MacWorld, and at MWNY 2002 there was *one* in the entire gigantic booth.

After an hour and ten minutes of iPods and Music Store, following that up with an Xserve would be like following up a Lamborghini demo with a city bus.

Agreed, PowerMac speed bumps are not going to wow the crowd much. It's got to be the G5 iMac.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The updated Xserve might be a quickie or a "silent" upgrade. It's happened before with PowerMacs IIRC.

I predict new iMacs in Tokyo, and speed bumped PowerMacs by early February.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

.so that mine can be the "fastest Mac ever" for a few more weeks

Yes, I am soon to be dethroned too.

Such is life in this business.