A Good Opportunity...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    SammiJo, nice to see you still have your tiny head firmly up your tucas.

I'm with Rageous. Take the political test out of this and find out what you can do. Let these whackos bash their heads into the wall on their own.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

SammiJo, nice to see you still have your tiny head firmly up your tucas.

I'm with Rageous. Take the political test out of this and find out what you can do. Let these whackos bash their heads into the wall on their own.

Why don't we all stop pretending that we actually care for these folk? I freely admit that it's hard enough taking care of those close to me, let alone pretending I can help people I've never met, some 8000 miles away. I have never been to Iran, and I doubt most here have been there either. I will gladly donate to the Red Cross, but thats as far as it goes for me. There are too many insincere crocodile tears being shed right now and our tiny attention spans and obsession with trivia will insure this latest disaster will be forgotten about in little more than the time it takes to say .............. insert latest celebrity story here
  • Reply 23 of 57
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    God. These potential death counts are reaching staggering proportions if accurate.

I agree that we as people don't have to rely solely on the government to help. There are several organizations (not all American) that can help in Iran, which can in turn use our donations to that end. But I believe, given the state of diplomatic relations with Iran, that the Red Cross (the most obvious choice to help) probably needs the government's help to get quick and unfettered access to Iran.

And to reiterate, I'm simply saying this is an excellent opportunity for the Bush Administration to lead the way for a purely humanitarian cause. Here is where America can show the world in general (and Muslims in particular) that we can set aside our core differences and help these people during an insufferable time... and ask nothing in return.

[I'll try to put aside my partisan doubts for the moment and simply end by saying that I truly hope it happens. I would rather the Bush Administration do right here (and end any partisan debate on such issues) vs. being able to look back and say "I told ya so" (which I'm sure Sammi Jo would enjoy].
  • Reply 24 of 57
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I don't know what America will do, but I know what we are doing.

Switzerland sent (they're already flying over right now) their 10-member immediately employment team over. Belonging to this team are four dog leaders and their sniffing dogs. The 'Schweizerische Rote Kreuz' (swiss red cross) and the 'Glückskette' already spoke 100'000 CHF for food, blankets, medicines and emergency accommodations.

Oh my. I hope this doesn't get worse. 20'000 dead people isn't just a few. \
  • Reply 25 of 57
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    We (the danish government) sent a 52 person rescue team. Good to see they can make right desicion too on foreign policy and not just start wars on countries. Danish red cross is sending lots of aid when they have an assesment of the needs.

Actually I don´t think fingers should be pointed at US in this matter. EU is right next door and should be able to provide the nessesary help. I really don´t think we would sent much help if the same thing happened in Mexico. There we would rely on US to take care of needs. Only if we were unable to provide enough help it would be a responsibility for other more far away countries to help and thats not the situation here regarding the fact that we are not excatly poor countries.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

We (the danish government) sent a 52 person rescue team. Good to see they can make right desicion too on foreign policy and not just start wars on countries...

Dig dig dig. Even in the event of a horrendous tragedy, it's impossible for some to resist taking a shot at the U.S.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Dig dig dig. Even in the event of a horrendous tragedy, it's impossible for some to resist taking a shot at the U.S.

Huh? Where in my post do you read that. I am talking about my own government.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Actually your comment is rather offending when considering what I actually write in part of my post you don´t quote.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    offending?

oh well.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Of course it was all the US's fault that Iran turned it back on the civilized world and became an islamic theocracy. I mean the US forced them to take hostages in our embassy. It's all the US's fault. Bush caused the earth quake too.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

We (the danish government) sent a 52 person rescue team. Good to see they can make right desicion too on foreign policy and not just start wars on countries. ...

So the US "just starts wars" huh? Oh but you're not being anti-american.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    It did sound like that's what you meant Anders, even if it wasn't your intention. It wasn't was it...or were you trying be sly?

And I do agree that the EU should go first...actually, no. Saudi Arabia should step up to the freaking plate and take care of this FIRST. Pakistan and India perhaps too, if they can manage.

Then the EU.

Then perhaps the US.

But everybody should be lined up ready to go. 20,000 people is staggering. I cannot imagine.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I think what many in this thread are missing is the simple fact that we are all human beings.

Politics is ugly when it causes us to view another "human" as less than that.

So politics aside it should be the goal of any loving human to support his brothers and sisters no matter where they may have been sprinkled on this planet.

Peace,

Fellows
  • Reply 34 of 57
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Of course it was all the US's fault that Iran turned it back on the civilized world and became an islamic theocracy. I mean the US forced them to take hostages in our embassy. It's all the US's fault. Bush caused the earth quake too.

Who the hell are you talking about? Show me one person who said anything like this in this thread... do you ever look back at your posts and try to look at them from an outsider's POV? Your comments are beyond partisan. They're absurd.

Seriously. Who do you perceive your argument to be with in this thread? You might as well be talking to yourself, because that's the appearance some of your posts give. Your sarcastic defense of Bush is just... pointless. Nobody is saying Bush is responsible for anything that's wrong in Iran.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

So the US "just starts wars" huh? Oh but you're not being anti-american.

I might have the english word "too" wrong in my post. But doesn´t it indicate that somebody do something (like start wars) but also do something else too (like help in rescue missions)? And since I mention my government in the sentence and didn´t mention the american and it hasn´t offered help I can´t even with my best will see how you all interpretent it that way.

And Scott: Try reading the entire thread before responding. You at least doesn´t have the excuse that you didn´t understood what I was trying to say.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I think what many in this thread are missing is the simple fact that we are all human beings.

Politics is ugly when it causes us to view another "human" as less than that.

So politics aside it should be the goal of any loving human to support his brothers and sisters no matter where they may have been sprinkled on this planet.

Peace,

Fellows

Right.

And even if i care more about my family or my friends than unknow peoples thousand kilometers from my home, i think these people deserves some respects. And the respect is to speak more of them, than the international help.

The last new, said there is 20 000 death and 30 000 wounded. Most iranian houses in that aera where made of clay and completely collapsed during the earthquake. The earthquake arrived in the night of a cold winter, when everybody was sleeping. The previous earthquake arrived during the day (when people where outside) or during summer where people sleep outside their houses. That's why this earthquake made so many deads.

Help is coming from many different countries, but this help will not be sufficiant.

The iranian governement also ask to a particular type of help : for example they did not ask for the french sniffing dogs, but where interested by others form of help. It's possible that they don't want of the US help.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

I don't know if Bush has been working on a Dr. Evil style earthquake machine but there *is* a credible link between the US installing and supporting a despotic dictator in Iran via a coup d'etat and the anti-Western fundamentalist backlash that ousted him from power.

But if you want to pretend that the US was (as usual) doing nothing but minding it's own business in Iran before those evil muslims started getting uppity then that's fine.

Here's some official CIA documents from the time of the coup:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB28/#documents
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Blame America. Early, often, for doing something, for not doing something, for not offering to do something fast enough. For every world event there an opportunity to take the US to task.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I don't know if Bush has been working on a Dr. Evil style earthquake machine but there *is* a credible link between the US installing and supporting a despotic dictator in Iran via a coup d'etat and the anti-Western fundamentalist backlash that ousted him from power.

But if you want to pretend that the US was (as usual) doing nothing but minding it's own business in Iran before those evil muslims started getting uppity then that's fine.

Here's some official CIA documents from the time of the coup:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB28/#documents

I will pay you $50,000 if you can in any way tell me what this has to do with the earthquake.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I will pay you $50,000 if you can in any way tell me what this has to do with the earthquake.

Because it's the US's fault that Iran had to overthrow the previous government that was propped up by the US. Thus installing an anti-american/democracy/freedom government and forcing them to attack the US embassy. So the US stupidly objected to that and isolated themselves from Iran. Had the US not done all that we could speed aid to the earthquake victims today.

That's the blameology of the situation.

I want my $50k!