Macinchat's MWSF rumors

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Horsepower/speed is overrated.

I'd wager a vital organ or two that 96% of the members here at AI - myself included - would be forever MORE than served by a 1GHz G4.

We just like to talk and pretend otherwise.

• Reply 122 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'd wager a vital organ or two that 96% of the members here at AI - myself included - would be forever MORE than served by a 1GHz G4.

Maybe so, but if you've ever worked in the publishing biz, having a computer that runs faster PhotoShop filters, burns CD-Rs faster, and lets you deal with all your 500MB project files, you pay for it! Hence the best-selling status of the dual 2GHz G5.

Now if only Apple could speed up Mac OS X Finder so that it's as responsive as Mac OS 9, then I'd switch, but Quark 4 won't like it...

whoops, wrong thread!
  • Reply 123 of 158
    Quote:

This is all well and good but why would someone be running Autocad (or any professional 3D app for that matter) on a consumer grade All In One? Lets face it Apple has the G5 towers to serve the needs of the professionals.

I think you'd be surprised. At one of the companies I work for, in an office with 300 people, I know at least a dozen people who occasionally use Autocad who's workstations are Pentium III machines. Not everyone who uses autocad is a balls-to-the-wall CAD operator. Same thing for ESRI products-- at that same company, there are probably at least two dozen people who've got a use for ArcInfo & ArcMap, but their desktop machines are pretty low end machines by today's standards. A mid-market machine with upgradable video would serve these people well.
  • Reply 124 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx Maybe so, but if you've ever worked in the publishing biz, having a computer that runs faster PhotoShop filters, burns CD-Rs faster, and lets you deal with all your 500MB project files, you pay for it! Hence the best-selling status of the dual 2GHz G5.

I DO work in the "publishing biz", mister.

And I'm more than aware of all the reasons you cite.

I'm speaking more on a individual level, at-home kinda stuff.

Yes, at work - where I'm working on large, high-res Photoshop stuff, doing magazine covers at 9x12 with 10 or so layers, effects, etc. a dual 2GHz G5 would indeed be pretty nifty.

Here at home, surfing, e-mailing, writing, iTunes, Illustrator, low-res RGB Photoshop stuff, iApps, etc.? It would be a bit of ridiculous, space-wasting overkill.

That's all I'm saying.

I'd LOVE to have a G5 at work...it makes sense there!
  • Reply 125 of 158
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Ok, minor history lesson here folks. Everyone here remembers the days where Amelio had close to 20 + different products, and you couldn't distinguish between any of them?? Could you tell the difference between the PowerMac 8600 or 9600 from the title?? Hell no.

s/Amelio/Spindler/

Amelio was the one that actually made Jobs' return possible, with the acquisition of NeXT. It was Amelio who axed the Performa line among many other products...like the Newton.
  • Reply 126 of 158
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

s/Amelio/Spindler/

Amelio was the one that actually made Jobs' return possible, with the acquisition of NeXT. It was Amelio who axed the Performa line among many other products...like the Newton.

Amelio spun off the Newton devision as Newton Inc and started to show a profit. When Jobs came back he brought it back under the Apple name then proceeded to kill it off and promise that there would be a Mac based solution to replace it.
  • Reply 127 of 158
    Quote:

I'm speaking more on a individual level, at-home kinda stuff.

Yes, at work - where I'm working on large, high-res Photoshop stuff, doing magazine covers at 9x12 with 10 or so layers, effects, etc. a dual 2GHz G5 would indeed be pretty nifty.

Here at home, surfing, e-mailing, writing, iTunes, Illustrator, low-res RGB Photoshop stuff, iApps, etc.? It would be a bit of ridiculous, space-wasting overkill.

That's all I'm saying.

I'd LOVE to have a G5 at work...it makes sense there!

I am looking to get a G5 in the next few months for home... once VPC is updated to work with it. I'm an architect, and we use AutoCAD at my office. But trying to run ACAD in VPC on my G4 is painful.

Although it's overkill for Safari, VPC is one area where having the G5 would make perfect sense. It makes a lot more sense than breaking down and buying a PC -- I don't want to have 2 machines sucking up power and space in my home office.
  • Reply 128 of 158
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    This debate on whether a headless mac is needed or not will go on for months long after MWSF (if it doesn't show up there).

I do think there is a niche market for one. Not sure if it's big enough to justify development and possibly throw the Mac product line all out of whack. But certainly it would turn some PC heads, for sure.

Now I'm not a techie, but today I installed an internal CDR-W into my old Sawtooth G4 tower and now have a fast 52x burner. I must say that having the ability to breathe new life into an old machine is a great. Doing that to a smaller affordable headless mac would have been just as easy to do.

Something I couldn't do with the G5 towers (because I can't afford one) or my iMac AIO since it's not expandable.
  • Reply 129 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Something I couldn't do with the G5 towers (because I can't afford one) or my iMac AIO since it's not expandable.

This is a common misconception. Expandable does not equal upgradable. If you had an iMac that was made after they went to the slot loading drive you could attach a firewire burner to your iMac to breath as much new life in it as you did your Sawtooth. For non-tekies this is a better solution because it requires no tinkering with the internals of the computer and most likely requires no software either.
  • Reply 130 of 158
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

This is a common misconception. Expandable does not equal upgradable. If you had an iMac that was made after they went to the slot loading drive you could attach a firewire burner to your iMac to breath as much new life in it as you did your Sawtooth. For non-tekies this is a better solution because it requires no tinkering with the internals of the computer and most likely requires no software either.

Well yes, mostly all computers are upgradable.

It's just much simpler to crack open a tower than an iMac. Plus, what's the beauty of an AIO when you've got a bunch of peripherals hanging off of it.
  • Reply 131 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spunkmeyer

I am looking to get a G5 in the next few months for home... once VPC is updated to work with it. I'm an architect, and we use AutoCAD at my office. But trying to run ACAD in VPC on my G4 is painful.

Although it's overkill for Safari, VPC is one area where having the G5 would make perfect sense. It makes a lot more sense than breaking down and buying a PC -- I don't want to have 2 machines sucking up power and space in my home office.

...it'd be cheaper to buy a cheap PC mini tower and a KVM switch, that is if your time is money. The PC can sleep when you aren't using it. You can even find a really cheap Shuttle XPC form factor and hide it somewhere out of sight. It'll be 10x faster than using VPC.

RDC connection to a hidden networked PC works well enough for me for office duty, but the slight lag would be a bitch trying to do CAD.

Seriously. Cheap PC hidden under your desk so no one knows your dirty little secret.
  • Reply 132 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

...it'd be cheaper to buy a cheap PC mini tower and a KVM switch, that is if your time is money. The PC can sleep when you aren't using it. You can even find a really cheap Shuttle XPC form factor and hide it somewhere out of sight. It'll be 10x faster than using VPC.

Good points in your post. Yeah, I considered going the shuttle/kvm route a little while ago, but when I price out the kvm switch, pc, and graphics card that would be required to hook up to my existing DVI monitor, it doesn't make financial sense versus selling my G4 and going with a G5.

My main concerns -- even over time -- is power consumption and space. I'm within walking distance of my office, so if my deadline is that pressing, I can go over there and work if necessary.

Besides, the G5 means I'd be good for another few years before having to revisit the computer upgrade situation. I'd still be stuck with the aging G4/450 if I bought a PC!
  • Reply 133 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spunkmeyer

I'd still be stuck with the aging G4/450 if I bought a PC!

...no need to say anything further. Dual G5 it is!
  • Reply 134 of 158
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I truely use to believe that as I had been ruuning my Linux machine for a long time on a 500MHz celeron. Then a upgrade was done a while back, frankly have been kicking my self for waiting so long.

The reality is that as I'vebecome more acustomed to what a real computer can do for a person the more I crave the responsivness that only a truely fast machine can provide. Thus my craving for a G5. Well that and OS/X without which the hardware would be utterly useless.

Hopefully the day will come when I cna afford the machine. The only good thing about the forced wait is that they just keep getting faster.

Thanks

dave

Quote:

• Reply 135 of 158
    Quote:

640K oughta be enough for anybody!
  • Reply 136 of 158
    Quote:

No it's not.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 137 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

No it's not.

Lemon Bon Bon

Yup, it sure is.
  • Reply 138 of 158
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Yup, it sure is.

• Reply 139 of 158
    Ooh, looks like I hit a sensitive spot. Sissies.
  • Reply 140 of 158
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    If you're paid by the hour, a slower computer is better.