UI inconsistencies

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Despite OS X's obviously superior underpinnings I still find myself longing for the simplier, it-just-works-right-and-never-in-your-face UI of OS 9.

There are a couple things I'd like to add to the list of annoyances...

When you create a new folder you can't just start typing to name it like you can in 9 or even XP.

And why they had to change so many of the perfectly good OS 9 keyboard shortcuts in X is still beyond me. I work in both and it will still trip me up if I'm not paying attention.

And another thing - is there any way to get X to default to list view for all windows in 10.2.X? Surely there must be a way...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Well, there are such inconsistencies here too. In the OS 10 world, I mean. For example: The system preferences quit as soon as you close it's window - iPhoto does the same too. But iTunes and iChat don't quit if you close their last window. I only noticed the system preferences thing in 10.3, I don't know if it was like that before.

Maybe this is a difference between single window apps and multiple window apps. iTunes is also a single window app, and you can run it 'headless', but you can't do the same with the system preferences.

It's just not consistent. Of course, these things depend on the developer, but if all apps tested here come from Apple... \

Do I see this right, or was this behavior as intended?

so ichat and itunes do the equivalent of minimising to the tray in windows, dig arround in preferances and that could likely be changed - if the apple coders are worth thier salt- which tthey are.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

When you create a new folder you can't just start typing to name it like you can in 9 or even XP.

Works for me.

Quote:

And why they had to change so many of the perfectly good OS 9 keyboard shortcuts in X is still beyond me. I work in both and it will still trip me up if I'm not paying attention.

I find there usually are good reasons, just different ones. Are you thinking of command-N for new window instead of new folder? In that specific case, the Finder is behaving like any other application in the system, where command-n creates a new window or document, so it's actually more consistent than OS 9 in that regard. Are there others you're thinking of? I know Adobe apps have issues with command-h for hiding the apps...

Quote:

And another thing - is there any way to get X to default to list view for all windows in 10.2.X? Surely there must be a way...

I imagine there is, uh, wish I could tell you though. :
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Quote:

Well, there are such inconsistencies here too. In the OS 10 world, I mean. For example: The system preferences quit as soon as you close it's window - iPhoto does the same too. But iTunes and iChat don't quit if you close their last window. I only noticed the system preferences thing in 10.3, I don't know if it was like that before.

thats because system preferences and iphoto are single window apps, they consist of that one window and no more. iTunes can open playlists as windows, as well as the equalizer. i chat has the buddy list and chat windows. system preferences was changed in 10.3 to make it consistant with this theme. personally, i like it.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto:

Works for me.

Strange... if I create a new folder I have to hit enter or click the type field before I am able to name it.

Quote:

I find there usually are good reasons, just different ones. Are you thinking of command-N for new window instead of new folder? In that specific case, the Finder is behaving like any other application in the system, where command-n creates a new window or document, so it's actually more consistent than OS 9 in that regard.

I can understand it but it is not consistant with the way we've been doing it for decades. Make alias also changed so that you minimize your window when you're not paying attention.... X also put in Command Option D to show/hide the dock which overrides Quark 4.11's step and repeat in classic (this one is very annoying as I have to use it all the time).

Quote:

I imagine there is, uh, wish I could tell you though.

It just doesn't make sense to me... didn't most people work that way in 9? That should have been a no-brainer to have as an option!

/rant

C.