MacWorld San Francisco 2004: Predictions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the first time in a while I'm not too hyped up about a Keynote. Well, I guess I wasn't hyped at all for the MWNY Keynote last year but we all knew nothing was happening there. With Jobs doing this one, you know something will be released, but how great that is is anyone's guess it seems.

So, following in tradition. What are your final predictions?

Mine:

1. Apple Retail Store numbers/figures/announcements

2. Power Mac G5 (sales figures)

new models, up to dual 2.5 Ghz (half way to their goal of 3Ghz half way through the year goal) along with new displays

3. FCP Express 2

4. iLife updates

5. One more thing... iPod update. 4th generation, plus a low end model. all hard drive based.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Mine (with a little help from copy and paste):

1. Apple Retail Store numbers/figures/announcements

2. Power Mac G5 (sales figures)

new models, up to dual 2.5 Ghz (half way to their goal of 3Ghz half way through the year goal) along with new displays

3. iPod sales figures and update. 4th generation, plus a low end model. all hard drive based.

4. FCP Express 2

5. Safari update and iLife updates

6. Keynote update

7. New productivity iApp

8. One more thing... Introducing the iMac G5 together with a slight redesign.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    at least you're not getting your hopes up
  • Reply 3 of 47
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

at least you're not getting your hopes up

When I was reading your post applenut, High Hopes (Pink Floyd) started to play in WinAmp (sorry, I'm at work right now) ... how scary is that ?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

When I was reading your post applenut, High Hopes (Pink Floyd) started to play in WinAmp (sorry, I'm at work right now) ... how scary is that ?

It's a sign!
  • Reply 5 of 47
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    What are the chances of the music store opening in Europe? I haven't heard a single thing about it from any of the rumor sites. Could it be ready? Could it be a nice surprise at the show?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    1. Updates: Retail, iTMS, iPod, G5, OSX (20 Minutes)

2. FCX 2 w/ demo (20 Minutes)

3. Keynote 2 w/ demo (10 Minutes)

3. iPhoto 3, iMovie 3.5, iDVD 4, iTunes 5 (15 Minutes Each)

4. iTMS Europe w/ demo (20 Minutes)

5. Impact of 20 years of Mac (10 Minutes)

6. One more thing... 20th Anniversary Mac better known as "Most Drool Worthy Computer Ever?" Ive's crowning achievement.

7. "This is just the beginning, we've got a lot of great stuff in store."

8. Thanks Apple employees.

9. Lights come up.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    lots of talk about iTMS and iPod, but nothing new

FCX 2.0 introduced

iTunes 5 introduced

One last thing:

Brand new, re-engineered iMac

-----------------

Rabid "AppleInsiders" go nuts when the G5 isn't updated, mini-iPods aren't introduced, and most of iLife doesn't appear.

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 47
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    iChat update with compatibility with AIM

maybe? or perhaps that will happen shortly after
  • Reply 9 of 47
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

iChat update with compatibility with AIM

It kind of has that already...for over a year in fact.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

It kind of has that already...for over a year in fact.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to video chat compatibility which AIM for Windows just received
  • Reply 11 of 47
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, I meant AV compatibility, and while that new beta seems to be supporting it, I haven't yet heard a positive report of it working, so perhaps, it's just right around the corner, the full version of AIM 5.5 with full AV functionality with iChat.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Its going to be basically a software oriented show.

While a cheap iPod will be nice, its not going to make me crap my pants. \
  • Reply 13 of 47
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    Steve comes on stage... lots of great stuff to show you all, so lets get started...

- First a recap of the succes of iTunes and the music store. Some figures and graphs to show off. Next Apple Retail Store numbers/figures/announcements

- Update on the succes of Powermac G5. More then half a million sold. No new models till later this Januari or mid Februari.

- iLife updates. IDVD 4, iPhoto 3, iTunes 4.5, iMovie 3.5

- FCP Express 2

- Talk about iPod. Half a million sold during holiday season. New models, some new features. Dont expect a real 4th generation iPod until later this year.

- Announcing the 2 gig iPod for 'the rest of us' starting at $149, Different color 'skins' available for $29

- tats all folks..
  • Reply 14 of 47
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Not sure if it counts as a prediction, but could make the Expo more interesting than it stands to be right now:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/34676.html

Yes, it's the Register, but a bunch of mad consumers waving around their dead white blocks at the Moscone's front porch could be quite the scene.

I predict, though, something that NO ONE sees coming - beyond the mini iPod (which will suck if it's just flash based) and even PowerBook G5. Unfortunately, I don't think it will come about until the Super Bowl. (Anybody know the link to determine if a corporation has bought advertising space for the broadcast?)
  • Reply 15 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I predict, though, something that NO ONE sees coming - beyond the mini iPod (which will suck if it's just flash based) and even PowerBook G5. Unfortunately, I don't think it will come about until the Super Bowl. (Anybody know the link to determine if a corporation has bought advertising space for the broadcast?)

We already know that Apple has ads during the Super Bowl. That's when they are launching the 100 million Pepsi promotion, so I doubt that they are going to take anything away from that with another product ad.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    What time does MWSF start Eastern Standard Time???
  • Reply 17 of 47
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    9AM PST so i think it is 1PM here
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Don't you mean noon?

Maybe I can't count.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

Don't you mean noon?

Maybe I can't count.

according to iCal (thank you time zone changing) it is NOON
  • Reply 20 of 47
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know: iLife, FCP 2, talk about iTMS, retail stores, some sort of G5 vs. PC in a "let's build a "Finding Nemo" poster in Photoshop" shootout.

iPods. Possible "mini" ones?

But those won't be the "oh yeah, there's just one more thing...".

Merely an appetizer to something pretty mind-blowing. Just watch.

[DISCLAIMER: No, I don't know anything or have any inside dirt...just a gut hunch: the iMac is 2 years old, it's the 20th anniversary, it's the big Frisco trade show, Apple is really firing on all cylinders as of late, big SuperBowl tie-in is approaching, etc. All that stuff, to me, just points to something bigger and more exciting than iLife updates and a new "miniPod"]