When did you know she was the one?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ever fall for someone you'd never thought you would?

I've always been one to never settle plus I have committment phoebia.

So there's this girl. I saw her as "a friend", and she definitely didn't have that "look" I was after. In fact, I mocked her the start (behind her back of course).

Well, after 6 months of dating, she's growing on me. Now I'm not sure I'm if I'm just comforted by knowing I have someone, or if in fact, she's the real deal.

I know it's not really a scientific or precise thing you can put your finger on but how did you realize that your significant other was the one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Well, after 6 months of dating, she's growing on me.

• Reply 2 of 29
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    when it was too late to tell her...

• Reply 3 of 29
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    ... it just feel the right thing.

i think this is an easier topic to answer for those whose significant other isn't someone in AI or reading AI stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    The minute I laid eyes on her! Literally.

It also didn't hurt when she said I looked like "Steven Spielberg" (I used to have a beard) on the set of the thesis film I was directing in college.

I said, "Who's that girl?"

My A.D. said, "It's the lead actor's girlfriend."

"I'm going to marry that one," I replied. Too bad for the boyfriend. Good for me. We've been together for 11 years and married for 3.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

when it was too late to tell her...

That's probably the first post I've read that caused me to have a visceral "that's really sad" reaction as soon as I read it. Sorry to hear it, man.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    ...when I made sure she had no penis.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

...when I made sure she had no penis.

Setting your goals a little low, are we?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Still looking.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    1971- Eighth grade, in Lifeguard class. I was the Struggling Victim, she was the Rescuer. I nearly drowned her. She nearly drowned me. We got each other's attention.

It's been a battle ever since. Getting together, breaking up....

Found some enduring common ground: our values and our history (storm-tossed as it is). Realized that Time Was Passing. Married in 1994.

The no-holds battle continues. Quarter is neither asked nor given. She doesn't cede an inch to me. Nor do I for her. We attack mundane tasks, lawn care, leaf removal, etc., to our echoing laughter. We'd both kill anyone who threatened the other. We jealously guard our cubs from all threats.

The kids laugh and cheer us on (when they're not jumping us or wrestling us). Life is good.

Damn, but I do damned, damned, damned love her!

Aries 1B
  • Reply 10 of 29
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Thats an awesome story Aries! You really met in 8th grade? Wow! But when did you know she was the one?

I'm with someone right now, she's amazing. No matter what anyone in the world says, shes the greatest girl in the world, ya'll would be jealous I don't know if she's the one, but if things keep going the way they are now...
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Well, after 6 months of dating, she's growing on me.

I'd hate to have to tell my grandkids THAT story!!

For me, the first time I saw her picture (internet roots). Shallow, I know, but we were intellectually compatible just based on conversation, then I saw that pic. Kablam! 8 years later and still counting.

-BBVD
  • Reply 12 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I first saw her freshman year in HS. I had just moved to Sulphur Springs from Garland, from a city of 100,000+, a stone's throw away from Dallas to a city of <15,000, a stone's throw away from dairy farms.

Needless to say I was unhappy about the move. I was lifted out of 8th grade midway through the year and thrown into the new tiny town with no friends.

I had a history class with her the following year. She asked me about the books I would bring to school and she would quote Dylan lyrics when the class discussion was about Vietnam. Junior year we had two classes together back-to-back.

I fell for her one day when she was wearing a Felix the Cat shirt. I've always found the cartoon boring, but that was the day I knew she was mine, whether she knew it or not.

I was an angry young man (religion) and she was a confused young woman (divorced parents, bi-polar father). She was displeased with the way I savaged her other courters and defiant against my seemingly-invulnerable confidence that she would be mine.

Senior year is when she finally realized what was going on, that we were meant for other things while our silly peers were damned to orbit like unwilling satellites around the East Texas town.

It's been 5 years since our official dating began and we'll be married in October. w00t!
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I fell for her one day when she was wearing a Felix the Cat shirt. I've always found the cartoon boring, but that was the day I knew she was mine, whether she knew it or not.

I was an angry young man (religion) and she was a confused young woman (divorced parents, bi-polar father). She was displeased with the way I savaged her other courters and defiant against my seemingly-invulnerable confidence that she would be mine.

And did you ever sit with her on a blanket in the summer, accusing chestnuts of being lazy, or make outrageous claims like you invented the question mark?

Haha, I'm only kidding Dr.Evil...congratulations!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Personally i think it says a lot about the girl that shes grown on you. To me it means you can look past the outer appearance, which you yourself said you didn't fancy at first. You've found maybe that on the inside she has things you long for more than just appearance.

Trust me...looks don't last forever. You'll be much happier with someone you find attractive on the inside in the long run, than someone you're penis thinks is hot to start with.

I consider my wife to be my best friend. I love everything about her on the inside, and although I find her attractive and always did. If she had a stroke, gained 220lbs, and had half her face burned off. I'd still love her the same as I do now, because it's not her appearance I love now. It's her mind, heart, and her friendship that make my life complete now.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Well, one day I decided to give lefty a chance. It took at little bit of effort and patience at first, but after a while it proved to be a good decision. We've been happily together for 4 years now.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

[snip]

Trust me...looks don't last forever. You'll be much happier with someone you find attractive on the inside in the long run, than someone you're penis thinks is hot to start with.

I consider my wife to be my best friend. I love everything about her on the inside, and although I find her attractive and always did. If she had a stroke, gained 220lbs, and had half her face burned off. I'd still love her the same as I do now, because it's not her appearance I love now. It's her mind, heart, and her friendship that make my life complete now.

I agree completely. Although my girlfriend is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, it's not just on the outside. She is amazing, we just sit and talk for hours at a time, and it never ever gets old.

I hate to rain on your parade DawgFather...but I must. If your wife had a stroke, I'm not sure how much you would love her mind anymore...depending on the severity of it. I hope you get the chance to grow old with the one you love, there is nothing greater than that.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Well, one day I decided to give lefty a chance. It took at little bit of effort and patience at first, but after a while it proved to be a good decision. We've been happily together for 4 years now.

How appropriate that his member title is: Wankel Wanker.

Way to ruin the thread dude!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I've been with my Girlfriend for about 4 years now. When I first met her I picked her up and looked at her eyes... the first thought in my head was... "I could spend the rest of my life with a girl like that..." Of course being a proud bachelor (and dating another girl at the time) I slapped myself. About a year later and we were living together. I'm shopping around for a ring now, I may even try to pop the question on Valentines day... if npot soon after.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

How appropriate that his member title is: Wankel Wanker.

Way to ruin the thread dude!

"Wankel Wanker" is actually Krautstralian for "The idiot who likes rotary engines." My facilities for intimacy are different entirely. I have too much experience at this point, I'd say, to be smitten with love.

Unless, of course, someone with the body of Anna Kournikova but with a pretty face came up and started telling me how much she liked legos as a kid, for no reason at all.

Yeah, that's a rare breed.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

"Wankel Wanker" is actually Krautstralian for "The idiot who likes rotary engines." My facilities for intimacy are different entirely. I have too much experience at this point, I'd say, to be smitten with love.

Unless, of course, someone with the body of Anna Kournikova but with a pretty face came up and started telling me how much she liked legos as a kid, for no reason at all.

Yeah, that's a rare breed.

Congratulations for your 2000 th post.