Microsoft Office 2004

Comments

• Reply 161 of 192
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by luigi

What about backwards compatibility with previous versions of Word XP and power point XP? I can use my Mac to make my presentations and documents, but my freakin job won't allow me to use my Mac to present. I need to present using an XP portable.

Will I benefit from purchasing 2004 with these caveats?

Will I run into new problems transferring documents from either program into XP equivalents?

The compatibilty features of 2004 will be very useful for you. You should have little or no issue moving files created on your Mac into Office XP with virtually no change. Anything that might represent a problem will be reported when you save, so you can plan for/change it as necessary.
  • Reply 162 of 192
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Is the new Entourage in Office 2004 better than Apple Mail now?
  • Reply 163 of 192
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Depends on your needs, I suppose--I like it better, personally, but I preferred the last version of Entourage to Mail, so I'm simply standing by old preferences.
  • Reply 164 of 192
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    When using notebook view, is the sound of your typing extremely annoying when recording. I would think that would completely ruin the playback value. I am especially interested in this as that is the only feature for which that I would consider buying it.
  • Reply 165 of 192
    danieldaniel Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

When using notebook view, is the sound of your typing extremely annoying when recording. I would think that would completely ruin the playback value. I am especially interested in this as that is the only feature for which that I would consider buying it.

I have not tried it yet but a pal told me that connecting the iSight solved the keyboard noise problem.

Daniel
  • Reply 166 of 192
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

First post on the page might answer your question.
  • Reply 167 of 192
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Thanks for the input. I am guessing the iSight trick would work with any external mic. I am thinking about getting the Micflex USB microphone that has just been released. I am also considering an iSight for making other types of recordings. Just how good is the iSight microphone for voice recordings and is it recognized as a microphone by apps such as Word 2004 and GB? Or is it strictly a Web cam? Sorry if these questions seem obvious. I don't want to buy more than I have to or less than I need.
  • Reply 168 of 192
    How are PDF graphics when imported/droped into PowerPoint or Word? Do they look good, like in Keynote, or are they still crap like in OfficeX? Thanks.
  • Reply 169 of 192
    danieldaniel Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

How are PDF graphics when imported/droped into PowerPoint or Word? Do they look good, like in Keynote, or are they still crap like in OfficeX? Thanks.

Well for me they look fine in both vX and 2k4 so I am not sure what you are asking about.

Daniel
  • Reply 170 of 192
    For me the results are noticably blury. Maybe its best seen when trying to increase the size of a pdf file beyond its original size.
  • Reply 171 of 192
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Regarding Student and Teacher version:

I have heard you get no updates with this version? Is that true?
  • Reply 172 of 192
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    There are no upgrades at S&T prices so you must purchase the full version each release cycle. You get standard service packs and the software is updateable if you no longer qualify for the S&T price when the next update comes around.
  • Reply 173 of 192
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Regarding Student and Teacher version:

I have heard you get no updates with this version? Is that true?

if you mean you don't get on the cheap commercial upgrade path, then yes, you're right. pretty standard with companies. if you are a student, they figure you're going to go through one or two major revisions of the software, tops, during your tenure, and since the price breaks are so significant on the edu packages anyway, they figure they can ask you to shell out for another edu purchase outright when it comes out.

that way, there is incentive for you to eventually get on the commercial path, as over the long haul, you're paying LESS to be a commercial license, while over the short (1-5 year) term, you generally pay less with educational discounts. adobe and macromedia say the same thing, though i have used a commercial upgrade to upgrade an educational license before. adobe just didn't tell me that it would work... i just tried it.
  • Reply 174 of 192
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Is the new Entourage in Office 2004 better than Apple Mail now?

F**k no! It really has no improvement, according to this article. Microsoft if f**king Apple over this support. It is rediculous. I expect Tiger's (10.4) Mail app to better support Exchange than the garbage Microsoft is providing. I hope NO ONE buys this piece of trash!
  • Reply 175 of 192
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Rhumgod, chill out my man...let's at least let the software be released before we start throwing feces at it.
  • Reply 176 of 192
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well...The good people of MacBU have most likely intentionally been ordered by their superiors to not now or ever fully support Exchange. Just like they were ordered to can IE, not allow Windoze Media Player for Mac to be 100% compatible, or let Opera use MSN. They should have been split up for this but hey that's politic$.
  • Reply 177 of 192
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Wow, got Microsoft Office 2004 S&T edition. It is awesome. Way better than Office X, its faster, more stable, and has really cool features.
  • Reply 178 of 192
    Got the Test Drive. Seems to come with more fonts or is it just me. Damn Entourage really is slick. Come on now VPC 7. I hope they really add a lot to it. Mainly speed, could use other things. Perhaps integrating it with Microsoft Remote Desktop? Make Remote Desktop more advanced (add features Timbuktu / Citrix have)
  • Reply 179 of 192
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I got my answer of at Mac-in-touch today:

Quote:

Andrew Macrae

I'm very disappointed to find that the new Office still does not support the OS X native graphics file format -- PDF. Okay, you can "import" a PDF, but all you're importing is the 72 dpi bitmap preview image, not the actual PDF data. Compare this with AppleWorks -- which imports the full resolution (i.e. resolution independent) vector PDF data. I've bought every single upgrade to Office since Word 1.0, but I won't be shelling out for this one.

End Quote.

This was the main reason I would have dished out for new Office Apps. Come on Apple and release Apple Office.
  • Reply 180 of 192
    If Apple makes Apple Office they'll be making almost every app I use. Not sure if this is good or bad. If they make an Office, I think they should make a Windows Office too.