iLife -no upgrade for current owners/early adopters

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Looks like Apple is once again ignoring the people who got it where it is today - the innovators and early adopters. Those of us who shelled out big bucks for the first version of iLife have to pay full price for the next version. Big disappointment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    $49 = big bucks?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by westonm

$49 = big bucks?

no shit. $49 is a great value for what you get and then some. besides, you'll still be able to download some of the apps for free if your to cheap to shell out the cash, i'm sure.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indeed.

iDVD now lets you burn to other DVD burners, and work on non-DVD burner machines. Apple pays the licensing fees for MPEG-2, DVD authoring, etc.

iMovie now imports video from an iSight - cheap, easy, video on the fly for, say, prototyping a shot.

iTunes will remain free.

iPhoto got a big boost, *MIGHT* stay free.

GarageBand. 'Nuff said.

$49 ($29 edu price) is a steal.

Basically, anything nowadays that *produces* content has to pay a licensing fee. That means definitely iDVD and iMovie, and *maybe* GarageBand. Apple should just eat that? Naw. $49 is a bargain, plain and simple.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    I just think that they should honor those of us who supported them in the beginning (of iLife) in some way - $10 off, or something. Most companies offer upgrades for existing customers. $10 would buy a lot of good will for Apple.

Will I pay $49? Probably. Will it make me feel better about Apple - a company whose stock I own, and who I have supported for 20 years? Nah.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    What, free versions up until now isn't giving you a discount??

Look at it this way... iTunes: 4 free major releases. iPhoto/iMovie: 3 free major releases. iDVD: free with SuperDrive, wouldn't work otherwise.

So the way *I* figure it, you've gotten 3 full releases of iLife for free... that's $147 you owe Apple, bub.

I see where you're coming from, but wanting a discount on something that was FREE in the first place? Um... Eh?
  • Reply 6 of 39
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

I just think that they should honor those of us who supported them in the beginning (of iLife) in some way - $10 off, or something. Most companies offer upgrades for existing customers. $10 would buy a lot of good will for Apple.

For fscks sake how cheap can you be.

Quote:

Will I pay $49? Probably. Will it make me feel better about Apple - a company whose stock I own, and who I have supported for 20 years? Nah.

If you really wanted to feel better about Apple's stock you'd be excited about the $49 price, which means lots of people buying iLife and even more people buying other things like new macs and iLife accessories, peripherals and iPods. Sounds like you're just interested in saving $10. Tell you what Big Spender, just pretend Apple offered iLife at $99 and you just saved $50.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I'm an early adopter and think this is a great price. Garage Band and iDVD are worth at least $25 each. (OmniWeb 5 is $30.)

Also looks to me that iMovie and iPhoto will finally catch up to the powers of Jag and Panther.

A bargain.

PS. If you get a new mac, it is free. :-)
  • Reply 8 of 39
    "If you really wanted to feel better about Apple's stock you'd be excited about the $49 price, which means lots of people buying iLife and even more people buying other things like new macs and iLife accessories, peripherals and iPods. Sounds like you're just interested in saving $10. Tell you what Big Spender, just pretend Apple offered iLife at $99 and you just saved $50."

Taking care of customers just might be a better way to raise a company's stock than gouging them. However, customer service has never been a strength of Apple.

By the way, don't get defensive or rude. Calling names doesn't make your point any stronger. In fact, it weakens it.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Well, there's a reason he's called cowerd...

Seriously, Apple has licensing fees above and beyond the development cost of these apps, and it's (I bet) a per-copy fee. This offsets that. The development is a fixed amount regardless of copies handed out, but the fees are not.

For the functionality of these apps, $49 is a steal. (And the $29 edu price is just sweet.)

The fact that we got them for free for what, two years, some of them three? is, IMHO, just icing. They're finally coming into their own to where they are worth spending $ on. Couple that with the business reality that each copy costs Apple dough, and, as another stockholder, I don't have a problem with this.

I see no reason to offer an 'early adopter' discount for something that was *free* in the first place. If we'd paid money for it, then you might have a point. But we didn't. Consider the first few free versions to have been your early adopter discount.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

By the way, don't get defensive or rude.

I believe I was being offensive not defensive. And rude...you ain't seen nothing yet...

BTW threads like this are invitations for abuse. Consider yourself lucky that many of the regulars seem to be busy right now.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well, there's a reason he's called cowerd...

I see no reason to offer an 'early adopter' discount for something that was *free* in the first place. If we'd paid money for it, then you might have a point. But we didn't. Consider the first few free versions to have been your early adopter discount.

That's my point. If we paid for iLife when it first came out 9 months (or so) ago, Apple should respect that. I DID pay for the first version of iLife, and basically got all the free programs on a CD for my efforts, plus a few more DVD templates. Now, those of us who bought iLife the first time have to pay just as much as those who just downloaded the free applications instead of buying iLife.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yes, and those of you who bought iLife have been able to use them this entire 9 month period.

that's what, $5.50 a month you paid for them? if you weren't getting at least $5 a month's worth of use out of them, not sure why you bought them.

wow.

I can see why you're pissed. that's like half a large pizza each month!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Er, okay... so you bought iLife for... iDVD? Assumedly you got that when you bought your SuperDrive enabled Mac, right?

Did you buy it for the iDVD upgrade?

In that case, consider this an iDVD upgrade for $20 (reduced price!) and $10 each for the previously free iPhoto and iMovie, with GarageBand tossed in for the low low price of... $9.

Heck, I dunno. I think it's a steal, you think it's a ripoff. We've each got an opinion, and very little to back up either one. *shrug*
  • Reply 14 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There is an up-to-date program for the iLife suite. I'm not sure of the details, it's probaby limited to recent iLife suite buyers and recent Mac owners within the past 3 months, but it's described on Apple's iLife pages.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

I DID pay for the first version of iLife, and basically got all the free programs on a CD for my efforts, plus a few more DVD templates. Now, those of us who bought iLife the first time have to pay just as much as those who just downloaded the free applications instead of buying iLife.

Except those who downloaded didn't get to use iDVD.

Besides being cheap, I don't know what the issue is. Your old version of iLife still works. You aren't being forced to upgrade for Panther compatiblity.

You don't have to pay the $49, which is generally how people show their displeasure at rip-off upgrades. Yet you admit you will purchase the new version, which means that the new version has enough utility (understatement of the young year so far) to warrant the upgrade price. So far the only issue is $10.

Set up a donation Paypal account and I'm sure you can raise the coin before iLife ships. I'll be the first to throw a dime your way.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I knew it wouldn't take long before people started complaining. Apple releases any updated products (software or hardware) and charges money for them, and people freak.

OMG! I bought a 1.8 GHz G5 three months ago and now they come out with a dual 1.8 GHz for just $100 more!? I demand Apple let me upgrade for a discount!!!

OMG! I bought iLife nine months ago and now they come out with a new version? I demand Apple give it to me for free!!!

This isn't shareware, people. With shareware, generally, you pay once and get free updates for quite a while, if not forever. With commercial software, you buy one copy, and then when you want to go to the next version, you have to buy it again. Sure, some really expensive software (like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, and MS Windows, all of which cost at least $300 each) they'll give you a small discount if you buy an upgrade. I know with Windows, it's $300 for XP Pro and $200 for the upgrade, or $200 for XP Home and $100 for the upgrade. But those are very expensive.

People have asked for upgrade pricing for OS X (base price $129) and now iLife (base price $49)? That's just ridiculous. Apple's already selling this software at a great price, you should be willing to pay for it. Besides, at least iTunes is still free. I wouldn't be surprised if iPhoto was still free too. iMovie I'm about 50/50 on, and I'm sure that neither iDVD nor Garage Band will be available for download. The only ones I use anyway are iTunes and iPhoto.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i didn't know that my current iLife was going to expire and that i had to upgrade....oh, you mean i don't? so the 49 bucks i spent as an early adopter paid for 4 programs that are still on my computer and still run fine...and for 49 bucks again i can update to new ones that add abilities and speed? sounds like business as usual to me...

so....if i want iLife4 i throw out some bucks (hehe..luck edu man that i am--really cheap at 29 bucks), and if i don't want iLife4 or don't have the bucks at the moment i don't have to get them...all seems fine to me...

g
  • Reply 18 of 39
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    You can be sure that the Office 04 upgrade (when it finally ships) will be a whole lot more than $49...

A crazy European like myself is relaxed about paying for iLife 04. Even so, the UK Apple Store is charging £39, which at current exchange rates equals $70. That's not a problem as I've got enough frequent flyer miles to fly across the Atlantic and back again. Too bad I can't afford the time off work.

(Edit: It was in fact £33 (or $59) when I ordered it 1 hour ago).
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by åsen

You can be sure that the Office 04 upgrade (when it finally ships) will be a whole lot more than $49...

A crazy European like myself is relaxed about paying for iLife 04. Even so, the UK Apple Store is charging £39, which at current exchange rates equals $70. That's not a problem as I've got enough frequent flyer miles to fly across the Atlantic and back again. Too bad I can't afford the time off work.

You make a great point. You have frequent flyer miles. The airline uses those to encourage you to continue to shop with them. That's a part of good customer service.

Upgrades are another way of providing good customer service. They say to the customer, "You are important, and we appreciate your business. To show that, here's an upgrade price." It isn't the $10. It's the concept, the idea of caring enough about the customer to recognize him or her for loyalty. That buys a lot of good will that isn't there otherwise.

Just my thoughts.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This thread is funny. Don't we get this every tradeshow.

hint. You got it twisted. Apple is not begging for your business..they provide a product you provide the cash. Gotta pay to play baby.

Quote:

That's my point. If we paid for iLife when it first came out 9 months (or so)

Dude a Woman got pregnant and had a baby in the last 9 months that's 75 percent of a year. You've made out like a bandit.