Photoshop CS- Can't scan Currency

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Thats really really sad. I wonder why Adobe added this? I mean does the government really hold them responsible for counterfeit money that they believe was made with Adobe photoshop CS? I think thats a bit of a stretch. I can't really see them adding it just because they can either...
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Working with CS on Windows, new.png won't open, but the $10 banknote does.

Interestingly, new.png does open with ImageReady...
  • Reply 23 of 38
    The $10 note opens fine here too, as expected.

It's only the new new currency like the $20 (with the borderless portrait) that set off the trigger.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I don't think the idea is stupid. I don't even think Adobe was probably pressured into doing it. Obviously this isn't going to stop someone that is determined to scan and print money. Heck, there are even ways to download approved (and slightly altered) pics of some monies for people that have legitimate uses.

This is social responsibility by a company that realizes there is an illicit use of their application. Like I said, if you really want to then you will copy the bills, but Adobe just doesn't want to make it "cut and paste" simple for the masses.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Which is exactly why open source software is the best thing since sliced bread. So you always have ways around stupid shit like this.

Do you dab in the open source pool often?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    HAHAHA

I found a work around.

You can open it in Illustrator CS, and then copy and paste it into Photoshop CS.

Back to the drawing board, you ****ing losers.

And I bet you can scan it in by simply using your scanner software to do the scanning as opposed to using a twain driver in Photoshop.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Now we know what the "CS" really stands for: "Can't Scan".
  • Reply 28 of 38
    And it works with international currencies, too!

Oh, whoops, I just used my scanner software... \

Do you guys mean to say that the file won't open, even if it already scanned? m.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

You can't even paste that into a blank PS CS document!

What if you paste sections one at a time, and put it together like a jigsaw puzzle? Or paste 1 pixel line segments in one at a time...? m.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Even though I do think its a good idea to have disabled the "scan money" feature in these programs all it has done so far is 10+ members of AI now have pictures of money on their HDs
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Well if you got HDD space to burn then why not do something illegal?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Everything works fine in 7.0. I wasn't planning on upgrading to CS anyway, but I don't need to scan any money. Hmmmm...
  • Reply 33 of 38
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

This is social responsibility by a company that realizes there is an illicit use of their application. Like I said, if you really want to then you will copy the bills, but Adobe just doesn't want to make it "cut and paste" simple for the masses.

You my friend are a moron.

In other news (in reply to \\/\\/ickes), I use a fair bit of open source software. VLC, OpenOffice, VirtualDub. I don't personally use GIMP, but if GIMP keeps getting better (although it would have to get a LOT better), I probably would.

And hey, if you are a Mac user, you have to be using open source software. Darwin, WebCore, JavaScriptCore... the list goes on.

I'm a total novice programmer, so I can't contribute to open source myself (other than donations etc), but maybe one day I will.

Barto
  • Reply 34 of 38
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

This is social responsibility by a company

No, social responsibility would be fixing bugs before charging for a new POS upgrade.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    All you need to do is open the money file in a different program, then create a 2-layer .psd file and paste the $$ image to the 2nd layer. Turn the 1st layer invisible and viola! Cash in PS CaSh editor.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    So what's the point of that 'feature'? If it can be so easily defeated?

Average Joe won't be mass producing fake Lincolns in his garage, and those who know how to do it will be doing it anyways...

Stupid...

What's next? Maybe a photocopier that won't photocopy our butts?

That would be a funny algorithm to program.

• Reply 37 of 38
    alexalex Posts: 3member
    Haha I found an easy way around it.

Open the image in Adobe ImageReady (which doesn't seem to care) and click Edit in Photoshop.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If you can avoid it, please avoid paying Adobe for Photoshop CS. Contact Adobe and tell you're not touching CS as long as it has this terminally stupid feature. Even if you don't care about this one incident, no one wants to see more "negative features" like this turn up.

Like this...

To: Adobe

I own, and have registered with you the following Adobe software:

(insert relevant data here: programs, registration numbers)

I have noted with great concern that the latest release of Adobe's Photoshop, Photoshop CS, includes a hidden feature that attempts to automatically censor graphic data found in US currency. There are legitimate uses for including such data in projects, ie. advertisements and other graphic art. The mere existence of the feature makes Photoshop slower and hurts the regular user's user experience for no benefit to the user. Most importantly, this is a matter of principle. As a customer I do not wish to see a software company taking on duties of law enforcement when not mandated by the law.

On the other hand, the rare criminals that would attempt to forge US currency will undoubtedly choose another program, altogether disable this feature from Photoshop by means of reverse engineering, or go around the feature by importing data to Photoshop in ways the feature does not check. It is simply not in the power of Adobe to stop this sort of crime.

I don't support censorship and will only buy another version of Photoshop when it contains no censoring features, or only those features mandated by law. I will advise my friends and collegues to do the same.