countdown to new g5's...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i'm sure all of you have read this from AI:

Power Mac G5

Meanwhile, updates to the company's flagship line of professional desktops are nearing release, with the sources citing January 20th or later as a potential time-frame. Recent reports on the subject have been crossed with mumblings of project 'q38'; a tracking name which is rumored to pertain to the desktop revision itself or the new series of 90-nanometer PowerPC G5 chips that will power them.

During the week of Macworld Expo, sources were vouching for the completion of the q38 project and claimed that the units were ready for introduction. "We were kind of expecting them," one source said excitedly, "I don't know what the hold up is... they're done. Maybe they're attempting to distance announcements or have yet to build up a consistent supply of the microprocessors."

with that said, i'll start the countdown at 7

Comments

• Reply 1 of 410
  • Reply 2 of 410
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I cant remember right now, but when do they usually annouce these things? Hopefully it will be before noon PST because that is when I go to work. I would like to check these out before I get on the work computer... Of course I can look it up then to... Anyways, when are releases usually?
  • Reply 3 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

I cant remember right now, but when do they usually annouce these things? Hopefully it will be before noon PST because that is when I go to work. I would like to check these out before I get on the work computer... Of course I can look it up then to... Anyways, when are releases usually?

i think last year there was a speed bump about 3 weeks after MWSF.
  • Reply 4 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Wasn't it usually Tuesday for hardware, and Saturday for software a while back?
  • Reply 5 of 410
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Tuesday Hardware is usually announced (and maybe released)

Saturday Software is usually released

This of course is not a religious schedule, so it can change with people getting mad, an nobody giving a damn about them... see?
  • Reply 6 of 410
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Ahh I meant the time. What time during the day is it? I remember the first iBook was released about 9AM PST. Does that sound about right?
  • Reply 7 of 410
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Ahh I meant the time. What time during the day is it? I remember the first iBook was released about 9AM PST. Does that sound about right?

It all depends where:

If It is in Paris, then you will hear about it whenever the Stevenote? occurs. If they are releasing it from Cupertino, probably 9AM, that is a good bet. And if they are releasing iPodmini's, at MWSF, it will be whenever the Stevenote? occurs.
  • Reply 8 of 410
    But he is talking about something that would not be rolled out as a part of a Stevenote, just a speedbump. No big events, just new products. As far as that goes, I have no idea though. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
  • Reply 9 of 410
  • Reply 10 of 410
    laboratory fire and patent infringements.

• Reply 11 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

laboratory fire and patent infringements.

but ibm's the shizzle (since i cant use the other word)....

5 days.....
  • Reply 12 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

but ibm's the shizzle (since i cant use the other word)....

5 days.....

21, 5, 7, 9'er, pork chops, mullet.

can someone lead me in the direction to the meat aisle, I'm lost?

-walloo.
  • Reply 13 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

21, 5, 7, 9'er, pork chops, mullet.

can someone lead me in the direction to the meat aisle, I'm lost?

-walloo.

i started this thread as a way to have a solid, nice countodown to new powermacs, and a bunch of random numbers keep showing up (dont worry about them if you dont follow). anyways... i was hoping this thread would start a little more discussion about the new pm's, but the other threads sorta took over. nevertheless, the countdown rolls on....
  • Reply 14 of 410
    alright! I get to be the real 5...

I still say dual 3Ghz G5
  • Reply 15 of 410
    i'm so excited!!!
  • Reply 16 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i'm so excited!!!

I'm pretty stoked too. I've been waiting on the 3GHz for a while. I have no real idea of when these are coming out, or if there is going to be an announcement on the 24th, but I'm still pretty excited.

Don't confuse that with with actually expecting anything.

I don't believe any rumours until Apple announces it.
  • Reply 17 of 410
    4 days til i can finally order a freakin powermac....
  • Reply 18 of 410
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

4 days til i can finally order a freakin powermac....

that sounds pretty damn confident.....
  • Reply 19 of 410
    is it four days till tuesday the 20th?

if so, that is the day i am betting on...but i have no inside info and i am functionally brain damaged...so take it with a dash of salt substitute (for my hypertensive friends here at AI)

g
  • Reply 20 of 410
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I don't believe any rumours until Apple announces it.

I'm with you... but I don't REALLY believe ANYTHING from Apple until I see it at a store or it arrives at my door. I sure hope we don't have to wait 3-4 weeks AFTER the upcoming announcement. (PB 17") That would be "el-sucko"... "here's what we are giving you... a few weeks from now"

Sure wish I would have had iLife 04 this week... my latest DVD project is due about 30 minutes before FedEx is due at my door on Friday. I guess I am happier with the wait than I would be with buggy software.

Apple will do things when it is ready. That's cool. But if they are "spacing announcments out" for dramatic effect - that's a foul.

90nm up to 2.6 ... surely that can ship by early Feb...