countdown to new g5's...

1151617181921»

Comments

• Reply 401 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

No, it is just a non-savvy reporter using imprecise language. They are talking about the 970FX. Don't read every journalistic idiot's missteps as something deep and shrouded in mysterious glamour. This git just doesn't have a sufficient background to really understand what he is writing about, so he makes small mistakes. Nothing to see here.

Just one problem with that scenario. They are are already shipping production quantitites of the 970FX, not "about to." We know this because the Xserve G5 is shipping (which is the ultimate definition of "production" quantities). Granted, the reporter could have really screwed up, but still...
  • Reply 402 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    400th post

haven't done that in a long time. Feels good.

[edit] damn 2 guy's beat me. #402
  • Reply 403 of 410
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Just one problem with that scenario. They are are already shipping production quantitites of the 970FX, not "about to." We know this because the Xserve G5 is shipping (which is the ultimate definition of "production" quantities). Granted, the reporter could have really screwed up, but still...

Not shipping yet, still pre-ordering. Ship is March timeframe. Plenty of time to actually deliver high volume production and fit the descriptions all around.
  • Reply 404 of 410
    Sorry if this has already been touched upon, but has anyone read this article? I am wanting to get a Powerbook soon but I need it to last me all the way through college. This would encourage me to wait until the G5's are released.
  • Reply 405 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Sorry if this has already been touched upon, but has anyone read this article? I am wanting to get a Powerbook soon but I need it to last me all the way through college. This would encourage me to wait until the G5's are released.

Yes, but this is old news, sorry
  • Reply 406 of 410
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Anybody about to purchase a laptop or other portable device should wait a bit. Check out the "Official 2nd Perpetual 970...." thread on ars. Some one just posted a link to a new article that has an official claiming that IBM is about ready to start shipping production level 90 nm SOC designs to Apple.

No indication if these are 970 based SOC or something else all together. Frankly it doesn't really matter if its 32 bit or 64 bit, a solid SOC design could lead to a very high performance device or to a device with extremely low power usage or both.

Now a SOC implementation could technically mean many things, this could be a chip for the low cost desktop line. My suspicions though are that maximum bang for the buck is achieved via implementation of a SOC design into a laptop.

So I'd have to say if you are laptop minded then waiting is a very wise move. Can't say if this is a 32 bit or a 64 bit solution, my geuss is that either way it is a significant advancement.

Dave

Quote:

• Reply 407 of 410
    Quote:

Not shipping yet, still pre-ordering. Ship is March timeframe. Plenty of time to actually deliver high volume production and fit the descriptions all around.

My bad, I saw them on the online store and didn't see the 6-8 week shipping times.
  • Reply 408 of 410
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't be suprised if the 'SOC' in that article was refering to that half of the semiconductor field.

IE: there is Memory and then there is everything else. For some reason this 'everything else' is often refered to as 'SOC', even if it isn't really a 'system on a chip'.
  • Reply 409 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I do agree we will see new PowerMac's with G5's before a PowerBook G5.
  • Reply 410 of 410
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

We know the xServe isn't shipping yet. But how much lead time would Apple need to recieve the IBM 970 and announce the availability of the xServe in 6-8 weeks at the last MacWorld expo? In order to manufacture the xServe and properly fill the channels, I would have expected that Apple had already received the initial shipments of the IBM 970 right at around the time of the announcement, but alas, I know nothing, just speculating.

though i expect Mr. David Manners made a typo and meant SOI