Local Treats?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

An October walk through the vineyards that reach up the hills around Stuttgart.

These are definitely some nice memories. I see some of these vineyards when I walk out of the door.

Quote:

Being a little boy living in Canada and in the U.S. who wore lederhosen and whose mother served food that none of the other kids ate....

I didn't see a boy in Lederhosen for years (probably decades) now. I think I had a pair myself when I was a small boy but I hated them to wear.

Regarding the food: I was always adventurous when It comes to food. I would try probably anything (at least once ). I found so many interesting and delicious recepies (e.g. Thai food) I wouldn't want to miss.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

You mean things like Zwiebelrostbraten, Spätzle, Bubenspitzle (Schupfnudeln) etc. ?

Sorry for not replying to this earlier GSpotter.

The ?brezel? you posted earlier is exactly what I was talking about. Actually, a baker from somewhere near Stuttgart set up a bakery in Ottawa about 15 years ago and started making these brezels for the local market. They are not the same though: he says he cannot get the same flour here and I think that he had to make some compromises to appeal to local prejudices ? i.e., they are more like the salty, semi-hard (stale?) big pretzels you get in New York City, instead of the wonderful, aromatic, sweeter and softer ones that I remember from Germany. In any case, shops keep them hanging around for a few days here, so they are often not fresh, and I rarely buy them.

As for the other foods, yes. Spätzle was especially something that my mother made (and still makes, although she now lives about 1000km away from me in Canada, so I don?t often get to have her cooking). They can be served so many ways and are good re-heated, such as fried with butter. One of my favourite ways to have them is with a lentil stew?something that I make often. Spätzle I have also tried to make myself, but with limited success ? they are just not as good as those of my mother (I guess that I should follow my own signature on this?but I do successfully cook many other things!). So I have the lentils, but not the spätzle. Sad.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

I didn't see a boy in Lederhosen for years (probably decades) now. I think I had a pair myself when I was a small boy but I hated them to wear.

That is sad about the lederhosen. They certainly were still around when we were small children (I am now 40), although they were probably starting to disappear even then. I suppose that they are now considered quaint (perhaps even a joke) and that German children wear Gap clothing like everyone else.

Sometimes I fear that local culture everywhere in the world is being swallowed up. Food might be an exception, to some extent. (That is why it is so nice for me to see your posts on this ?local treat? subject- and with pictures too!)

But even with respect to food, I remember seeing a newspaper article recently that the French, for example, are concerned with the greater and greater reliance on generic fast food by many families and by the decline in day-to-day traditional French cooking. This trend, which probably is happening everywhere, disturbs me. My wife and I go out of our way to resist this trend and to cook full meals and to teach our children to cook.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Spätzle ... can be served so many ways and are good re-heated, such as fried with butter. One of my favourite ways to have them is with a lentil stew?something that I make often.

Oh yes, "Linsen mit Spätzle":

I also like "Käsespätzle". (spätzle with cheese and onions):

• Reply 45 of 45
    In the Northeast, Rhode Island specifically, there is this awesome summer treat called Del's Frozen Lemonade.

Oh my goodness. This stuff is supreme. They make their own lemonade, then freeze it. You can slurp it through a straw, or scoop it with a spoon, and it's always the perfect consistancy. You also find little chunks of lemon rind in it, which are delicious! It's perfectly sweetened, and - wow. Words don't describe it. I've never found anything else that even comes close to Del's.

I remember many occasions of visiting my sister when she was at college. I always made a point of going to a beach and flying kites for a while, then just gazing at the ocean drinking a Del's. 8)

Ahh nostalgia...