Mac OS 9 vs. Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I am just doing some quick research about how many people are using which OS. If you could vote, that'd be much appreciated.

Which OS do you use? If both, please choose your primary OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I still keep OS 9 around for Pro tools and Final Cut Pro 1.2. (And some others)
  • Reply 2 of 25
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Why doesn't Exposé work with Classic windows?

Although I miss the Classic FInder/editable Apple menu/Applications menu, I use OS X. (Having a Mac that won't run Mac OS 9 is probably something to do with it.)
  • Reply 3 of 25
    There's two more options:

Both

Neither
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

Both

Neither

except that as of this point, 100% of the 12 voters are OS X

and if we really wanted to hairsplit we could add Classic (but no OS9 boot)

there are at least a few users who are still OS 8 yet post here, too.

any 7 ?

<rummages for thread on "oldest mac to access ai>
  • Reply 5 of 25
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I would have expected this thread to draw a disproportionate amount of the OS 9 users... they'd be sure to click on it, but OS X users probably won't.

But, no OS 9 yet... now I know /mando/ uses OS 9 religiously, but I can't think of any others.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I haven't used OS 9 in years and I haven't even had classic installed for at least a year and a half. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Both

Neither

If you use both, please choose the one you use most.

If you use neither, then you aren't a mac user at all, and your situation has no bearing on what I am trying to find out.

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep voting!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PosterBoy

If you use both, please choose the one you use most.

All of my audio apps are still os9. I would choose both

Quote:

If you use neither, then you aren't a mac user at all

You forgot about linux.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

All of my audio apps are still os9. I would choose both

Fair enough. But which one do you use more? If you use both pretty evenly, which do you prefer to use?

Quote:

You forgot about linux.

No, I didn't actually. I'm trying to find out which Mac OS more users are using. If you are running Linux then you aren't running Mac OS, for the purposes of this poll anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    i use os X but my professional software is under classic. I expect that soon i will have the os X version . This classical one sucks.

Even in a gigabith network of G5, when i call a patient's folder i am obliged to wait ten seconds. And this is a small database of 275Mo (4D server 6,5,5)
  • Reply 11 of 25
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I think posterboy needs to take a research methods class (ie don't post such a poll on a board where everybody uses mac os x)
  • Reply 12 of 25
    This is not the only place I have posted the same question, and honestly it is hard to find a general mac forum these days where the majority of the user base isn't using OS X.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I'm one of the few OS9 holdouts but I'm prepping to move to OSX (bought the software but need to do a complete harddrive backup because I'm super paranoid). I have an older G4 (400mhz AGP with 1.33 GB RAM) but I think it can handle it. I'm hoping to upgrade the processor - much cheaper than buying a G5.

Is anyone on OSX working on a similar older G4? If so, does it work OK or sluggish. I use InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (hence the RAM) but I'm not into gaming at all.

I still use OS9 at work, too. I'm on a Mac connected to a PC network and my IT person isn't ready to deal with OSX yet. Fortunately, I'm slated to get a new G5 in April so he's going to be forced to deal with me then.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwgirl

I'm one of the few OS9 holdouts but I'm prepping to move to OSX (bought the software but need to do a complete harddrive backup because I'm super paranoid). I have an older G4 (400mhz AGP with 1.33 GB RAM) but I think it can handle it. I'm hoping to upgrade the processor - much cheaper than buying a G5.

Is anyone on OSX working on a similar older G4? If so, does it work OK or sluggish. I use InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (hence the RAM) but I'm not into gaming at all.

I still use OS9 at work, too. I'm on a Mac connected to a PC network and my IT person isn't ready to deal with OSX yet. Fortunately, I'm slated to get a new G5 in April so he's going to be forced to deal with me then.

All depends on how responsive you want the OS to be. My rev A Ti 500 definitely shows its age. But I also complain about my G4 800 at the office and am a power user -- yes, my G5 is nice. What size screen are you powering? A friend with an early G4 tower doesn't complain at all and loves the stability of X. He's not a power user at all.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I bought a Mac only to play with OS-X. I love the compact hardware as well.

I would have never bought a Mac if they still kept the old operating system. You are asking people if they still drive a 1920s vintage car in the year 2000.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

I think posterboy needs to take a research methods class (ie don't post such a poll on a board where everybody uses mac os x)

First, "everybody" here doesn't use Mac OS X, as you can see by the poll. There are several regular members like mando that still preach the wonders of Mac OS 9.

I think the only place you'll find a Mac board without a majority of Mac OS X users is one designed specifically for Mac OS 9 itself or old software in general.

Forcing the reader to choose between strictly Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X means PosterBoy will get a clearer picture of which OS is preferred at the default. If you use both, then you also more than likely use one more than the other or have a preference for one. If you don't or you use Linux or some other system, this poll is not intended for you and you should not vote.

How is that wrong?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    i have actualy changed my mind on the classic os's as i have come to realise that my school it guys (and girls to be fair) are complete bafoons who probably dont even tie their own shoes in the morning-thus they screwed with the macs till they crashed every 5 min, and no netscape use was allowed only IE but i digress, i have had the oppritunity to see and use a classic os (outside of school) and in my opinion its realy a draw..exept for unix which makes X the heavy weight champ

(i do wish that 10 would let one choose between app menu or dock or both)

the worst ad for mac is I.T. guys at schools in particular who dont know how to set them up on a win. network and F____ the things up
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

All depends on how responsive you want the OS to be. My rev A Ti 500 definitely shows its age. But I also complain about my G4 800 at the office and am a power user -- yes, my G5 is nice. What size screen are you powering? A friend with an early G4 tower doesn't complain at all and loves the stability of X. He's not a power user at all.

I'd like to have some speed for screen re-draw in Photoshop but most of my use is in InDesign and internet stuff. I have a 17" LCD (cheap - not Apple) at home and I have dual monitors at work (both CRTs - Radius PressView 17" & Mac 17"). I'd like to run dual monitors at home, too, but I need to invest in an additional PCI video card and decide which of my current PCI cards will have to be sacrificed to make room for it.

Do the G5s support dual monitors? I'd like to continue using two CRTs at work - I'm scheduled to get a new Sony monitor with calibrator when I get the G5 but I'd like to add another CRT for all the palettes.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Update.

I posted this poll on another forum as well[1], and the votes stand thus:

Mac OS X: 127 (93.34%)

Mac OS 9: 9 (6.66%)

[1]Which may cause some overlap, but unless some people are using completely different usernames not a lot of the people are frequenting both places.

I will probably have to make an actual poll somewhere and ask one or two more questions, juts to get an even clearer idea of what is going on, but as a preliminary this is pretty much meeting my expectations.

Thanks guys! And please keep voting!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Do the G5s support dual monitors? I'd like to continue using two CRTs at work - I'm scheduled to get a new Sony monitor with calibrator when I get the G5 but I'd like to add another CRT for all the palettes.

All G5s come with a dual head graphics card, so you can connect two monitors . Does anyone know if they come with ADC/DVI to VGA adapters ?