My dad got his PhD!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not that it has any bearing on any of you, but my dad defended his dissertation today, and in a few weeks he will receive his degree. He's been working on it forever, and finally finished!

Yay for Dr. Dad!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Very 8)

I thought about trying to get a PhD in Bass, but I figure it'd probably be way too much work
  • Reply 2 of 23
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Not that it has any bearing on any of you, but my dad defended his dissertation today, and in a few weeks he will receive his degree. He's been working on it forever, and finally finished!

Yay for Dr. Dad!

I just did that in April, and so believe me when I offer my most sincere congratulations to him.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 3 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Being in the middle of the (hopefully) final stretch of that myself, my congrats to him!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    maybe i missed it, but in what field? what was the topic of his dissertation?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I neglected to ask...have you broken the news to him that they won't let him get any degrees after this one?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw, he just needs to switch fields...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Church of Kickaha

Naw, he just needs to switch fields...

SHUT UP!!! My wife hits me every time I suggest I get an advanced degree in History!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    The field is educational psychology. I've read the title of the dissertation several times and can't remember it. It's way above me. Something about statistical modeling based on survey results, or maybe on designing survey(type things) to get useful results. I'm really not sure. He is currently the director of institutional research at a community college right now (applying for the academic dean job right now, actually), and that's the sort of thing he does: analyze survey results and stuff. Anyway, I'm more of a humanities guy, myself

Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I neglected to ask...have you broken the news to him that they won't let him get any degrees after this one?

Yeah, I don't know what he's going to do now. He's been in school pretty much his whole life. I guess he'll just have to settle for working at a college now.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Hey he could do a post doc.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Shoot there's always medical school. I've also heard of people getting multiple PhDs. Every PhD I talk to thinks that's a ridiculous waste of time.

I always like hearing about people that took "forever" to finish. I bet everyone that's completed a PhD felt at some point that it would take forever. My current boss is looking to go back and finish up his PhD. It will be interesting when he does.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Congrats to your Dad, Sledge. Let's hope he applies that knowledge wisely, as all PhD's should, but not all do.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    congratulations. my wife defended her dissertation last may, and officially received the diploma from univ. or toronto in november. came with a lot of blood sweat and tears, and i was there to witness all of it.

again, congrats.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Here's the title of it.

This is the first slide of the PPT that he used for his presentation.

If you're really interested, you can click the picture to go get the .ppt file from my public folder.

Get the .ppt here
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Big words! Head hurting!

Really, congrats to your dad.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Egads! No mega-coporation in America will be able to resist a man with a dissertation like that. They don't have to understand it, just read it and know that it is impressive sounding. That's what corporations like.

• Reply 16 of 23
    ****ING HILARIOUS! I see your father had the exact same problem I had with ShitPoint. You can't recolor the equations to white font. So you have to put a box behind it. PowerPoint ****ing sucks.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Keep a cautious eye on your dad.

First it's [whatever his phd is in]. Then, before you know it, he's got a machine in his basement to transmit matter from one point to another AND THEN A FLY GETS INVOLVED!

Yours in vigilence,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 18 of 23
    His father fit data to a model. That aint no quantum transporter.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

His father fit data to a model. That aint no quantum transporter.

Yet.

Before you know it, Godzilla will be lowering property values in his neighborhood.

Stay alert. Look for a strange glow in the sky.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I can't believe there's not a colon in his title. I'll bet he gets docked points for that. Hell, they might even hold him back a grade.

Cheers

Scott