Asiatic Pooping

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay.

I love to learn new things about other cultures but last year there was a strange circumstance that I ran into that made me curious about the scatological habits of my neighbors in the Far East.

There's a firm for which I occasionally do consulting work, based in a low-rise tower in Atlanta. While I was in the office some of my friends there began to tell me about this fellow who had started desecrating the men's room. They would find little piles of wet (and soiled) toilet paper beside the rear-most toilet in the common mens' room available to all the businesses on the floor they occupy.

One of my friends, a Mexican national, actually caught the guy who did it at one point. He heard rustling in that stall but didn't see any feet on the ground. As he listened he heard the guy dipping water out of the toilet and finally realized that the guy was perching atop the toilet seat, apparently cleaning himself in a most unusual fashion. My friend hung out in the hallway just to get a glimpse of the guy, and he said that the guy looked Asian....I trust that my friend knows his ethnicities.

I didn't think to post it here back then because it was a) weird and b)super-weird. But today, at a coffeehouse, I passed an Asian guy (when he said "pardon me" it was a really thick accent) about my age who was coming out of the Men's room. When I went to the toilet I saw that there was a wet clump of toilet paper on the raised lid....bringing the other incident back to mind.

So, is there some secret post-pooping technique that is heretofore unknown to most of us Westerners?

Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Well, I am at a loss about the toilet paper being left atop the seat, but many cultures poo by squatting over the receptacle (often some elaborated hole in the floor). So that part is unsurprising.

Also, I know that in many areas without advanced septic systems, used toilet paper is not thrown into the toilet, but is put in the trash (this is common in many parts of Mexico, for example). That still does not explain leaving it on the seat, of course.

Fish
  • Reply 2 of 25
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    my guess is that in most wet-paper instances, they are simply wiping the poop-splash-water which results from the terrible 'American Standard' toilet design off of the toilet seat as a consideration for other users.

as for the guy at work; perhaps he is squating to keep away from the dirty seat?!?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    ???
  • Reply 4 of 25
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Well now the first guy, from the office building, was leaving little piles beside the toilet - not on the top. It just sounded like perhaps he'd been sent straight here from Pago Pago and had never seen a toilet before....maybe he just didn't have the temerity to ask somebody "hey, how are we supposed to use these things?".
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Why does one never, ever eat with the left hand in India?

Because that's the hand you use to wipe your arse. Asian, and even some Middle-Eastern toilets, everywhere but in hotels where Westerners might stay, are typically a hole in the ground, a tap, and a plastic jug. You poop, you fill the jug, you pour while you squat and clean with your left hand. Many find paper positively unhygenic and even rather revolting.

I went through a phase last summer of taking a water bottle to the loo and using that. Whenever we run out of paper I never use the cardboard: I pour. There's no doubt it's cleaner.

I don't know whether the man was using water in the bowl to clean himself or not, or what's with the paper, though.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Yes, I'm familiar with the cleaning habits of those from the "Middle East" and supposed that this might be his practice, but were he so clean I cannot believe that he'd leave a pile of soiled paper on the floor.

Hmmmm, I think I'm all finished talking about poop for today.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

terrible 'American Standard' toilet design

blaspheme! American Standard toilets simply are the best. the rocket of water annihilates any and all defecation.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Yes, I'm familiar with the cleaning habits of those from the "Middle East"

Of course. Didn't mean to patronise, dude.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

....maybe he just didn't have the temerity to ask somebody "hey, how are we supposed to use these things?".

<Demolition Man> He doesn't know how to use the three sea shells! </Demolition Man>
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

blaspheme! American Standard toilets simply are the best. the rocket of water annihilates any and all defecation.

• Reply 11 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

<Demolition Man> He doesn't know how to use the three sea shells! </Demolition Man>

I remember this one : very funny
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Thanks Tonton, I knew it was either cultural or psychological. The latter choice was the funnier of the two~
  • Reply 13 of 25
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have a friend who was in the Peace Corps, and worked in Malawi for a couple of years. He said there was one building in town with toilets as we know them, a government building IIRC. Anyway, the sign on the stall doors read, "please do not stand on the toilet." I think they had signs about what the sinks and hand dryers were for too.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Clearly you have no experience with the world's toilets.

The world has a wide variety of great toilets. . . .

the best being the French deep-hole super flusher (not the French-squatter). . . . no kerplunk-backlash and very fast splashless flush!!!

A pleasant experience for those of us who hate the idea of bacteria laden water weaseling towards our puckered parts . . . .
  • Reply 15 of 25
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

A pleasant experience for those of us who hate the idea of bacteria laden water weaseling towards our puckered parts . . . .

Why are you flushing while still sitting down?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

Why are you flushing while still sitting down?

Not from the flush silly . . . from the turd splashage!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Not from the flush silly . . . from the turd splashage!

Duh! You put toilet paper in the boil to cushion the splash.

I learnt that from Operah. Really. She was explaining how in public toilets she thought weirdos were (maybe only in her imagination) trying to listen to her going for a piss, so she'd fill the bowl with toilet paper.

I dislike the environmental wastage so I don't put too much in. I've become quite adept at putting in just enough so that its not excessive, but so that it is enough not to soak and become useless.

• Reply 18 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    And sometimes you happen across a toilet where a person has splattered all over the wall, or even purposely wiped it all over the walls. Strange world we live in.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Duh! You put toilet paper in the boil to cushion the splash.

I learnt that from Operah. Really. She was explaining how in public toilets she thought weirdos were (maybe only in her imagination) trying to listen to her going for a piss, so she'd fill the bowl with toilet paper.

I dislike the environmental wastage so I don't put too much in. I've become quite adept at putting in just enough so that its not excessive, but so that it is enough not to soak and become useless.

Yes, I have resorted to that . . . however, in France one does not NEED to do that . . . their toilets are well designed

a note: Germany also has toilets that don't splash. There is a little shelf that is above the water. The poop piles on that shelf . .

. . but then, -and this sorta ruins the good design factor- there are extreme jets of water that push the pile into the trough at the sides of the toilet . . . these jets splash and are noisy and they often do not work as intended . . .

. . unsightly and unsmellty too . . .

. . . I suppose that it was intended to allow for easy wiping without getting wet . . . of the porcelain that is . . .
  • Reply 20 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I think the guy who left piles on the floor was either even more rural than that of origin (never even saw a keyhole toilet) or he had a psychological problem.

There's being used to the hole-in-the-ground toilets and there's being completely oblivious to the way sit-down toilets work. I've ventured into some pretty shitty parts of China...Guangdong farther in than Guilin and central/western China like Sichuan.

A person who has the ability to come to this country should be expected to know how to use a sit-down toilet, unless they are retarded like you said.

I've never seen soiled TP placed in a way that would suggest somebody had no idea how to use the facility. I have seen piss all over the floor in plenty of bathrooms, which is nearly as digusting, IMO.