Why did so many Republicans vote for Kerry in NH?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A huge percentage of Republicans/[Very Conservative] voted for Kerry...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3762821/

What's going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You mean a huge percentage of the very few Republicans/conservative people who actually voted in the Primary voted for Kerry.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Maybe to ensure that Dean isn't the candidate?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    There also seem to be some serious voting anomalies...

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pri...index.009.html

Look at Hampstead county and how many votes Dean has...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea only 3% of the exit pole think of themselves as republican.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    If it is any kinnd of strategy it is to make sure that Clark is not the candidate . . . .

Kerry has NO chance against Bush

Dean has NO chance against Bush

Edwards has NO chance against Bush

Lieberman has NO chance against Bush

Sharpton has NO chance against Bush

Only Clark would get the people who wouldn't automatically vote Democrat . . . only Clark has Republicans worried
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Clark has NO chance against Bush. The guy is like a deer in front of headlights. He has no experience and wasn't even sure he was a liberal until a few months ago.

Dean is the only chance against Bush.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yea only 3% of the exit pole think of themselves as republican.

You misunderstand...the question is in past tense.

Code:

Before voting today, were you:

Category % Total Clark Dean Edwards Kerry Kucinich Lieberman Sharpton

Registered as Undeclared/Independent 45 12 25 14 35 3 9 0

Registered as a Democrat 46 10 30 13 39 3 6 0

Registered as a Republican 4 12 16 0 41 2 9 0

Not registered 5 23 30 13 26 2 7 0

BEFORE voting today, WERE you:

These are former Republicans who recently registered as Independents/Democrats so they could vote for Kerry...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    CALM DOWN.

I was looking at this stat.

Code:

No matter how you voted today, do you usually think of yourself as a:? Back to Top

Category

% Total Clark Dean Edwards Kerry Kucinich Lieberman Sharpton

Democrat 49 12 29 13 40 2 5 0

Republican 3 11 8 10 28 0 24 0

Independent or something else 48 14 23 13 37 2 10 0

Which is a whole whopping 1% different from the one you posted. So what's the rub?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Only Clark would get the people who wouldn't automatically vote Democrat . . . only Clark has Republicans worried

Check out this article:

http://opinionjournal.com/columnists.../?id=110004608

by Peggy Noonan on why Republicans DO NOT Clark as the Democratic nomination.

But back on topic. The title of this thread is misleading, since only registered Democrats can vote in a Democratic primary.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I'm inclined to agree with this. If I can't have George W. in office, I at least want a more conservative democrat. That being said, GO BUSH!!!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Right now, with 90% of the precincts reporting, 15% of the Republican voters in New Hampshire did not vote for George W. Bush. That's quite a large group of voters considering he has no serious opposition from other Republicans.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    If you're a republican and for bush why would you bother to come out? If you're against him then you may want to cast a protest vote. So ... the stat may not represent the general population.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

But back on topic. The title of this thread is misleading, since only registered Democrats can vote in a Democratic primary.

That's not true. It depends on the state. In NH, you can vote as a Dem or as a registered Independent.

Anyway, it's a good sign for Kerry. A Democrat will have to win some Republicans to win the presidency.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Dean vs. Bush is a far better match-up for staunch Republicans than Kerry vs. Bush. As a Republican, I would give serious consideration to Kerry, but give NO consideration to Dean.

I think these few Republicans voted for Kerry in the primary because *GASP* they might actually consider him instead of Bush in November.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Clark has NO chance against Bush. The guy is like a deer in front of headlights. He has no experience and wasn't even sure he was a liberal until a few months ago.

Dean is the only chance against Bush.

I agree on the former, but not on the latter.

Clark *is* a deer in the headlights. What's up with him saying the equivalent of "Look, Kerry was a puny lieutenant in Vietnam. HAHA!"

Dean is a sham. He was a pure novelty candidate. I saw this waaaaaay back. He sure had a lot of steam 3 months ago... *fizzle fizzle* How can Dean beat Bush? Democrats won't like how he claims to be a fiscal conservative (even though he's not). Republicans aren't going to vot for him because he's a one-man circus.

He doesn't have the war credentials. He doesn't have the hot Portuguese rich-as-f**k philanthropist comedienne wife. He doesn't have the height. He doesn't have centrist views. Dean is a liability to the Democratic Party.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    possibly because some repubs don't like bush (like some democrats didn't like clinton)...possibly because some repubs are vets and like kerry for that....possibly because some conservatives don't like the spending bush is doing....

election year could be very interesting...

g
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    He, he, he, like I've said there's a lot of people out there unhappy with Mr. Bush.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

He, he, he, like I've said there's a lot of people out there unhappy with Mr. Bush.

Yeah. Like whopping three percent of the current democratic voters that have changed party in the last four years. It will be a LANDSLIDE Oh. Some changed the other way too? Well lets ignore them for the moment.

Eugene hit the nail on the head. Kerry probably is the one who would appeal most to republicans. Nothing unnatural he getting the most votes from switchers.

So its Kerry, Edwards, Dean and Clark then?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Yeah. Like whopping three percent of the current democratic voters that have changed party in the last four years. It will be a LANDSLIDE Oh. Some changed the other way too? Well lets ignore them for the moment.

Eugene hit the nail on the head. Kerry probably is the one who would appeal most to republicans. Nothing unnatural he getting the most votes from switchers.

So its Kerry, Edwards, Dean and Clark then?

As long as we get rid of Bush.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Because it's New Hampshire.

My freakin grandma voted for Bush. NH is a constant quagmire.