"Evolution" Censorship

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Georgia considers banning 'evolution'

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- The state's school superintendent has proposed striking the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time."

I think maybe ... This is one of the ... If only people could .... Public education should be ... I'm sorry I'm speechless. Here's hoping my brother moves his kids to private school.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    ROFL

for real.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Then again, "evolution" implies something becoming better, and the way the human race has been going... they may be on to somthing!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Public education should be ...

I don't think this is a problem with public education.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    I don't think scott was implying that.

If they were going to try to not offend people they would have to get rid of any suggestion of change over time.

Now the students just grow up thinking that evolution and biological change over time are completely different.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    What makes you think a private school would be any better? Especially if it's parochial...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    It is definitely a problem with public education. Because it's so bureaucratic, they do sweeping mandates like that, that often make no sense and are totally politically motivated, instead of letting teachers and individual schools decide how they want to teach. And parents don't have a choice where to send their kids, because they're being financially drained by taxes going to fund other peoples' kids education, and furthermore are designated schools, regardless of whether the school sucks, it is free from the immutable laws of economics, because if it sucks, it will still get business, because there is no alternative in the public sector.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Now the students just grow up thinking that evolution and biological change over time are completely different.

i guess that's the point ... little steps ...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Okay, if you put it that way, fine.

Now will the alternative actually be better? Will private schools actually teach something parents don't want their children to learn?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The point is, that if they do, the parents can pull them out and place them elsewhere.

Public schools don't offer you that without incurring the jump in cost for private schooling in the first place. Public schools are a classic monopoly - no competition, so they suck.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Thanks, Jesus.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The point is, that if they do, the parents can pull them out and place them elsewhere.

In a business environment, I don't think schools will have a choice but to offer what the majority of the population wants. And it looks the majority wants to defile sound scientific concepts conflicting with said majority's cultural values.

Otherwise, things like this would never enter the news cycle. These are elected officials promoting an agenda. It is not sound to think the same people who elected said officials would not be able to influence a private school environment. They in fact would have more power due to boycotts and such.

The only schools that will be able stand on their own and set their own agenda are ones that have a benefactor, like the Agassi Academy in Vegas.

So what is the vision of private education? What schools will come about? How will students become better people? What schools will survive in this environment? What will kids learn?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Thanks, Jesus.

You're welcome, my son.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I propose we replace every reference to the state of Georgia in US text books with "that state north of Florida and east of Alabama that may eventually gain a clue over time."
  • Reply 14 of 44
    This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen.

Scary

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Fellows,

I am really happy to see you say this, but I admit I am a little confused - I thought you were a young-earth creationist? I would have sworn I remembered you talking about meeting Gish (or someone similar) and being active in the creationist groups.

Am I mistaken? Or do you have a different reason for opposing this? I am NOT going to get involved in a creation/evolution debate, just curious.

Fish
  • Reply 16 of 44
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

Fellows,

I am really happy to see you say this, but I admit I am a little confused - I thought you were a young-earth creationist? I would have sworn I remembered you talking about meeting Gish (or someone similar) and being active in the creationist groups.

Am I mistaken? Or do you have a different reason for opposing this? I am NOT going to get involved in a creation/evolution debate, just curious.

Fish

For me the study of origins is important be it ideas related to some sort of design concept or evolution concept. What I find troubling is if people can't refer to something as what it is. What is so hard about calling evolution "evolution"? This story in Georgia is troubling as it is far too polical in nature based on ignorance. Again there is nothing complicated about calling evolution "evolution".

Fellows
  • Reply 17 of 44
    What's next?

Are Republicans going to insist on the removal of the words WoMD

and replace them with "weapons-related program activities" ?

... oh wait.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    FShip is what one would call a "person who may disagree but can behave in a civil manner anyway". They are rare, I know.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    "If you're teaching the concept without the word, what's the point?" said Rep. Bobby Franklin, a Republican. "It's stupid. It's like teaching gravity without using the word gravity."

I couldn't agree more. The key distinction here is between the kind of people who want schools to teach children that invisible fairies make objects fall to the ground and the kind of people who want to call the scientifically accepted and demonstrable principle of gravity "natural force of attraction between two massive bodies" in a really pathetic attempt to keep that first group of people from raising hell. I'm somewhat torn as to which group is more asinine and contemptible.

Great, now I really have an urge to go rent "The Scopes Monkey Trial". Maybe it'll come on AMC this weekend!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

FShip is what one would call a "person who may disagree but can behave in a civil manner anyway". They are rare, I know.

not only that, but fellows is still young and growing...he actually thinks and learns and, horrors, sometimes changes how he looks at things...

the fellows of today is not the fellows of two years ago, nor will he be the same two years from now...and that is a good thing and i am very proud of him

g'rat on the other hand......

g