Cannibal gets EIGHT 1/2 years ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
CANNIBAL

How can Germany call the American Death penalty barbaric?!?!? is it because they don't have the heart to get tough on absolutely barbaric crimes within their own bordres!?!?

What are they thinking?

(by the way, I am pretty much against the DP though)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And before someone says "How can cannibalism not be illegal!?", consider that cannibalism *NORMALLY* involves murder, which is illegal, and what is generally charged. In this case, it was *voluntary*.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

CANNIBAL

How can Germany call the American Death penalty barbaric?!?!? is it because they don't have the heart to get tough on absolutely barbaric crimes within their own bordres!?!?

What are they thinking?

(by the way, I am pretty much against the DP though)

He only get 8 years, because the others guy wanted to be kill.

Otherwise, i don't know to say about this. This story is a pity and a shame for humankind (for both the killer and the victim).
  • Reply 3 of 41
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    The idea that he 'wanted' to be killed is absurd.

Suicide is illegal because 'we know not what we do'

If a person's life is ended by another person, no matter what the circumstances (except war) then it should be considered murder

and besides, the quote at the end of the article,
    Quote:

"If I hadn't been so stupid as to keep looking on the Internet, I would have taken my secret to the grave," Meiwes said in his closing statement.

shows that he really has no regrets

another shocking phrase he used:
    Quote:

"I had my big kick and I don't need to do it again,'' he said.

Come on!!!
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

The idea that he 'wanted' to be killed is absurd.

Suicide is illegal because 'we know not what we do'

If a person's life is ended by another person, no matter what the circumstances (except war) then it should be considered murder

Er... suicide is *illegal*? Who the hell you gonna prosecute, a corpse?!?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Yes, suicide is illegal. I don't get it either. I never understood though, is attempted suicide a crime, like attempted murder?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Er... suicide is *illegal*? Who the hell you gonna prosecute, a corpse?!?

Suicide attempts are nominally considered against the law (at least last that I heard)

I think that it is hardly ever prosecuted though
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:

War is murder. Not by law?but by rational moral standards.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    yes. . . but I meant by Law
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Because obviously law is rarely rational.

(Suicide *illegal*?!?!? )
  • Reply 10 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Because obviously law is rarely rational.

(Suicide *illegal*?!?!? )

Yeah, anybody who will suceed suicide will be sentanced to death
  • Reply 11 of 41
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Suicide is illegal, because it is supposed to act as a deterrent to the act. You can argue the merits of that forever I guess. Attempted suicide may not get you locked in prison, but will get you before a psychiatrist, with the possibility a spell in the asylum.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Suicide attempts are nominally considered against the law (at least last that I heard)

I think that it is hardly ever prosecuted though

the attempts, if discovered, are probably not prosecuted if the attemptor is put into an institution/asylum or in some kind of strong therapy course. i would hope the punishment for such a crime isn't jail, but therapy.

Quote:

i am oft to agree with you on this point, but there are many of this nation which might define the yet unborn child as a person and yet have want for his demise. this opinion, while strongly held in a body's morality, doesn't fit that of the masses. it would be interesting though if we made all killing be murder, and the executioners themselves be punished to death, recursively. soon the whole world would be blind.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Absolutes are bad.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Absolutes are bad.

absolutely
  • Reply 15 of 41
    d'ah.

how the hell can you prove someone wanted to die? and considering that that is not necessarily a normal state couldnt they still have gotten him for murder or does germany not have any protection of the mentally ill? Not that the us does but still.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

In the UK suicide used to incur the death penalty.

Of course it wasn't often necessary but there were a few cases of failed attempts that were later punished by hanging.

Real bummer if you changed your mind after the first ****-up and realised how lucky you'd been.....

So basically if you want to commit suicide in England all you have to do is attempt to do it and then let the state finish you off.

Wouldn't a real punishment be to force attempted suicide persons to continue living? \
  • Reply 17 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That's a good way actually, if you don't want to leave a mess for the family to clean up. Let them do the dirty work for you.

• Reply 18 of 41
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Suicide is illegal, because it is supposed to act as a deterrent to the act. You can argue the merits of that forever I guess.

Attempted suicide is illegal in some countries only because of our christian heritage (it is considered mortal sin). In more modern states with a cleaner separation between religion and states, it is not illegal but considered a souvereign decision of a free person.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

How can Germany call the American Death penalty barbaric?!?!?

Because it is? And please, where are the connections to this case?

Quote:

is it because they don't have the heart to get tough on absolutely barbaric crimes within their own bordres!?!?

What are they thinking?

Well, over here, people can only be locked up if they committed a crime (maybe we need to learn from Gulagantanamo Bay).

Since the case in question is the first on record where the victim wanted to be slaughtered and eaten, there is no current law against eating human flesh (check out the criminal code in your country, chances are there is no law either).

The prosecutor tried the guy for murder, but that was bound to fail, because Email correspondence between cannibal and victim and a videotape clearly showed that the victim came with the intent to be killed and eaten. So, the only options were killing by request and manslaughter.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

If there are exceptions, then there are exceptions.