The Reinvention of Apple Computer

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    njanja2njanja2 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I'm confused about the reasoning of some people.

and the High public perception that Apple = Macintosh

That's not necessarily a positive thing you know...

My gut feeling would be that many of the negative misconceptions about Mac are just that: about the Mac. It may very well be useful to drop the Mac brand and allow Apple a clean slate to build a OS X brand without the 'Mac'(renamed Apple OS X or something, I don't know). Hell of a gamble though.
  • Reply 142 of 152
    Mr. Jobs is a visionary...the day we foresee his actions...is the day....well it just won't happen...
  • Reply 143 of 152
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Apple isn't dieing but the Mac is. Marketshare has been declining every year since the advent of a "useable" Windows.

How are unit sales and profits? That's more important.
  • Reply 144 of 152
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

I know many people who buy a new $600 PC every year only because advertisers convince them their hardware is out of date. That doesn't influence any marketshare. But those who calculate marketshares count every purchase.

I don't believe incorrectly based or biased statistics.

Good point...and thanks for correcting my little $3.9 billion error.
  • Reply 145 of 152
    I am willing to believe this post by Faeylyn. Since his first two posts, we have already seen the PB and the iB make steps in the direction noted. Sure, they are not there yet, but then WWDC hasn't made it... and 2004 isn't over yet. These specs are great, and if it holds to be true, I predict in another 10 - 15 years, MicroSh!t supporters will be groaning that at least they USED to have 95%.

Has anyone even heard anything about the suit against Apple Computer by Apple Records since the UK courts gave the 'thumbs-up' for the lawsuit? I know that I haven't, and I spend almost every non-working hour on the 'net reading every Apple/Mac-related article I can find. The whole direction that Faeylyns' posts indicate this would take is absolutely incredible!

Think about it!! Yes, it would be competing with other labels, but with contracts already signed and in order, the other labels would have no choice, without a specific non-compete clause, to accept it for the time-being. Sure, they could threaten to not re-sign, but with the foundation that iTMS has, and the fact that Apple Studios could offer more as a record/movie label - the stongest online presence, which we all know is the future of the industry; better commissions; less expense for distribution; exclusive soundtrack offerings through the movie studio side of it... hell the online presence and better artist payouts would be enough for almost every new artist to want to sign with Apple Studios, as well as enough to want to make most artists switch... think of all of the budding new artists that would come to play - the other labels will begin to realize that they cannot compete. Remember - "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"... and this is exactly what the other labels will do.

Faeylyn.. Can you offer us anything more??
  • Reply 146 of 152
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacMorsel

I am willing to believe this post by Faeylyn. Since his first two posts, we have already seen the PB and the iB make steps in the direction noted. Sure, they are not there yet, but then WWDC hasn't made it... and 2004 isn't over yet. These specs are great, and if it holds to be true, I predict in another 10 - 15 years, MicroSh!t supporters will be groaning that at least they USED to have 95%.

Has anyone even heard anything about the suit against Apple Computer by Apple Records since the UK courts gave the 'thumbs-up' for the lawsuit? I know that I haven't, and I spend almost every non-working hour on the 'net reading every Apple/Mac-related article I can find. The whole direction that Faeylyns' posts indicate this would take is absolutely incredible!

Think about it!! Yes, it would be competing with other labels, but with contracts already signed and in order, the other labels would have no choice, without a specific non-compete clause, to accept it for the time-being. Sure, they could threaten to not re-sign, but with the foundation that iTMS has, and the fact that Apple Studios could offer more as a record/movie label - the stongest online presence, which we all know is the future of the industry; better commissions; less expense for distribution; exclusive soundtrack offerings through the movie studio side of it... hell the online presence and better artist payouts would be enough for almost every new artist to want to sign with Apple Studios, as well as enough to want to make most artists switch... think of all of the budding new artists that would come to play - the other labels will begin to realize that they cannot compete. Remember - "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"... and this is exactly what the other labels will do.

Faeylyn.. Can you offer us anything more??

I see things the way you do. I have a feeling about this post that tells me this guy knows something and remember, even Apple doesn't know how high their PowerBooks will be in 12 months, they have a roadmap, but reality is different sometimes.

If Apple did what Faeylyn proposes, it would litterly change the world! Already now journalists are writing this because of iTMS and the iPod...they will be at a loss of words if this manifests. They will need shock treatment!
  • Reply 147 of 152
    gensorgensor Posts: 48member
    Regarding Faeylyn forecast of Apple Records. So what is then to stop Sony records to only offer Sony signed artist music on Sony Connect? I think Apple will run into a brick wall if they try to sign artists and make the music exclusive on iTunes. Can you spell ani-trust?
  • Reply 148 of 152
    gensorgensor Posts: 48member
    I guess i can't spell it either. lol.
  • Reply 149 of 152
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra:

Wrong.

Marketshare decline just means that PC growth exceeded Mac growth.

Mac growth?

Now I don't mean to be a downer here but Mac Sales have been steadily declining over the last 8 or 9 years. They're actually selling over 30% fewer computers now than they were in their hey-day. OS:X and the G5 have only managed to stabilize sales, but not turn it around.

C.
  • Reply 150 of 152
    macmorselmacmorsel Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gensor

Regarding Faeylyn forecast of Apple Records. So what is then to stop Sony records to only offer Sony signed artist music on Sony Connect? I think Apple will run into a brick wall if they try to sign artists and make the music exclusive on iTunes. Can you spell ani-trust?

Sure... Sony could try!! But who would want to sign with Sony from that moment on. If Sony was to keep its signed artists exclusive to their online store, they would lose sales.

No matter what anyone says about Apple not having the market share that they claim, they do. iTunes and the iPod was one of the smartest moves that Apple has made in a while. They know it, and they're not stopping there. Jobs knows what he has to do now. He has learned where he made his mistakes, and he won't allow himself to make them again.

Just to slightly prove my example... Right before iTunes for Windows was released, I had a friend who was spending hours after hours trying to use Real Player and MusicMatch and WMedia Player to organize his music. He was going insane calling me every couple of hours.. "Man I can't find my music.. where's it at?" This was getting annoying as I couldn't get any work done trying to help him solve his OS problems. When iTunes for Winblows came out, I downloaded the installer, burnt it to CD, and handed it to him, telling him that I use a Mac for a reason, and for him to try this. Needless to say, I only received one other call, and that was to tell me thanks. He loves it and says his next comp will be a Mac. Sure, he doesn't know computers from a hole in the wall, but after getting a hold of one, I know he'll never turn back.

People are starting to learn that they have been 'herded' into believing that Windows is THE only OS to use. They are starting to see the alternatives, and 'Mac' is one of those alternatives that have been in the back of their minds through their existence on Winblows. Now that they are tired of bloatware and are searching for an alternative, they will actually look at a Mac and give that double-take... literally. Mac computers and OS X are on the way up. Poor sales are only a price issue, and I believe that will soon change.

Also, who will want to sign with record companies that are suing their friends and family, and even their thirteen year-old sister. I mean c'mon. There are articles in the news about the industry holding back on royalties, artists not making as much as before.. and then articles about iTunes as THE PREMIERE online music store, online stores being THE next big thing for music, the iPod as the HOT ITEM of the year. Who wouldn't want to sign with iTunes is the real question. And think about how easy iTunes is making it for artists to sign up. As easy as Apple is known for making things.

Apple is coming in to their own. Anyone remember that fat annoying girl from junior high that all of a sudden blossomed into a hottie? Hello everyone.. Meet Apple... you remember.. the one everyone always made fun of..
  • Reply 151 of 152
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Congragulations Amorph!

I don't know if your "brad" but I listened to your music on Amplitune I think was the name? Let me tell you something: you do everything but suck !

Love your music! Keep it up
  • Reply 152 of 152
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    One word: commoditisation

Hardware is a commodity now.

Operating Systems are next up.

If Apple competes in a commodity market it will fail.

Applications are not commodity.

Apple is pushing hard to get into applications.

An interesting flip side is that Apple has been able to revisit commodity markets ( iPod ) very succesfully. I think they can repeat this. But every time they set the bar in a commodity market others will aim for it.

iPod works because music is a commodity. If you look at any commodity market, the products in it really fail to achieve their potential. Music, phones, video, gps. Apple can walk into any one of these markets and turn it on its head.