Ricin found in Senate building?

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Preliminary tests on a white, powdery substance found in the mailroom of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist indicate the presence of the deadly substance ricin, a Homeland Security official said Monday.

From this CNN article.

If this is really ricin, this is a big deal. I would put my money on the same guy/guys that sent out the anthrax 18 months ago. Either way, some scary shit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The only bet I'd make at this time is false positive. Any takers?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I am watching the news thing outside the building on my local Fox news.

3 follow up tests are positive....
  • Reply 3 of 26
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    From the article

Quote:

The substance is to be tested further at the Army research laboratory at Fort Detrick, Maryland.

Return to Sender?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I know someone who works there. I'd ask for the inside info but I'm sure he doesn't know.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Appears to be a positive test. This certainly makes things, for lack of a better word, interesting.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Planted by Cheney's intelligence arm... to stir up terrorist fear...

conspiracy theories are so easy to come up with.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some Right-Wing Aryan Militia Group...

Or really bad Congressional cafeteria food.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Wasn't there a Law & Order episode about Ricin? You can make it from something that's common, or used to be common....argh...tip of tongue...

Yah, it's a bad deal, something bad went down in Japan a few years ago....some nutjob cult killed people in the subway....

Edit: It was from castor beans, I should've read the CNN story first.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I heard rumours that some junkie working in the white house bought it cheap at a chinese shop hoping to get high...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Wasn't there a Law & Order episode about Ricin? You can make it from something that's common, or used to be common....argh...tip of tongue...

Yah, it's a bad deal, something bad went down in Japan a few years ago....some nutjob cult killed people in the subway....

Edit: It was from castor beans, I should've read the CNN story first.

The Japanese subway thing was sarin, wasn't it?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [EDIT]

Planted, and not by a terrorist. Look at the timing, look at where it was found (and the previous history with this sort of thing), look how many people it hurt.

Look at what it does to mindless sheep when they are told "you need to be protected from biological terrorists on our soil".

Sickening if you ask me.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Planted, and not by a terrorist.

yep

it is too politically opportune . . . methinks

by the way . . . how was it found? was it just sitting in a pile in the corner?

Where was it?

Must I go in search for myself online?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Found in the mailroom of the Senate Majority Leader, where else?

• Reply 13 of 26
    AND NOW THIS

Quote:

CONNECTICUT--

A postal worker at a center where anthrax was found in 2001 found an unidentified powder in an envelope addressed to the Republican National Committee, officials said Tuesday.

OMG is that pathetic. Could they be anymore obvious? "Well it couldn't have been US... LOOK, it's addressed to our party!"

Where's a sheep emoticon when you need one?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

The Japanese subway thing was sarin, wasn't it?

Yes.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    you can get a lot of the poisons from simply extracting plant material.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

it is too politically opportune . . . methinks

It makes you wonder...I didn't think of this yesterday night, but I just noticed that the Dem primaries have been pushed out of top-story status on every major news site, in favor of blaring headlines like "RICIN TERRORISM RICIN TERRORISM".

Meanwhile, the Dem candidates have been getting a lot of useful press so far in the primaries, and today may well decide the nominee...nice to have it all drowned out. Also nicely drowns out that dude what-his-name who was saying something about finding weapons in Iraq...or was it not finding? Oh well, I can't remember. ;P

[tinfoil hat]

You ever wonder if the anthrax was planted by someone who hoped to make an excuse for a coup? Like how Gen. Franks suggested that the next big terror attack would be followed by martial law. Only someone lost their nerve and decided that either it wasn't worth killing a LOT of people over, or the anthrax didn't cause enough of a panic to justify moving then?

[/tinfoil hat]
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Everyone here is right. The only reasonable explanation is that the republicans planted this to stir up war fever at home. The timing is so perfect that there can be no other explanation. I will close my mind now, smug in knowing what horrible people those republicans are for doing something like that.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Everyone here is right. The only reasonable explanation is that the republicans planted this to stir up war fever at home. The timing is so perfect that there can be no other explanation. I will close my mind now, smug in knowing what horrible people those republicans are for doing something like that.

You're right here . . . . a bit over the top of us heh?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have to say, the presumtions going through this thread are ridiculous. At least a couple of you were joking. A couple, maybe.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Hmm. Well Scott you may be right, but if it's so damn easy to sneak these kinds of chemicals into Congressional mailrooms, how come it hasn't happened once since the original incidents in (late 2001 / early 2002)?

The timing is just *real* odd if you ask me. I'm normally the first to jump all over people touting conspiracy theories, but everything about this story is just so convenient and neat and tidy....

I guess time will tell, but unless some whack-job claims responsibility / ricin starts popping up all over the place, I'll stick with my plant theory.