Did I Make a Mistake?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Please tell me I haven't made a mistake! I have always been a PC person... my other half has always been a Mac person. I figured I'd finally take the plunge to see if I can understand what makes Mac fans so dedicated. I know it's not the best machine in the world, but I just picked up the new 12" iBook G4. I'm not looking for a powerhouse or anything... and since this is my first Mac... I didn't want to plunge head on with something really expensive. All I really use my current Sony Vaio notebook for is browsing the web while I'm watching TV... and maybe some basic office-type stuff. I've got a P4 2.4GHz in that notebook... and quite frankly... it's way more than I need with regards to power (it's also huge and bulky). I'm sure the 12" iBook will be fine for what I'll use it for. I'd also like something that I can easily carry around. I'll be honest... I looked and looked for a Wintel notebook that even came close and couldn't find one. The Wintel subnotebooks don't seem to have a CD drive built in... and they're almost all using the Centrino/Pentium M setup. That's decent hardware... but way more than I need... and priced to match. My biggest gripe with Apple has always been their pricing... but the iBook was tough to pass up... I don't think there is anything out there which gives ya as much bang for the buck. I just picked up the little guy today at J&R in NYC. I'm at work now and won't open it up till I get home. Anyone out there suggesting I take it back before I open it? It just seems that everyone here is talking about the Powerbooks. I liked the Powerbooks... but I'm really just looking to play around with my first Mac... and the Powerbook seemed just a little more steep price-wise than I was willing to go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The iBook is a killer deal, if you don't need:

Video out

Audio in

DVD-R

Other than those (and some small amount of motherboard speed), they're basically the same beast.

I think ya did good. My wife *LOVES* her iBook G3, and she's been a longtime Mac user.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    You never know unless you try the bugger out.

Best of luck, and it is somewhat refreshing to hear a person that has a reasonable take on hardware at this point in the game and not some TEH G5 ibOoK 4evar!.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    i tihnk you made a wise purchase. if you dont need power, the 12 inch ibook is perfect.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Considering I've been a PC person for... well... about 20 years now (since my mid teens)... my biggest concern was learning the OS... I know Windows inside and out (well... as much as someone can know Windows inside and out)... so I've always been able to fix problems and get everything exactly the way it should be.... I guess OS X will be a learning experience... I'm glad I've got some positive input on the iBook. I've read alot of comments on the previous generation of iBooks... most were not so hot... I haven't seen many comments on the latest generation.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Well, Joey, let me be the first to officially say:

Welcome to AppleInsider!

Now, down to business...

Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

Considering I've been a PC person for... well... about 20 years now (since my mid teens)... my biggest concern was learning the OS... I know Windows inside and out

We've all been there. Shoot, Mac OS X itself is only three years old. It's similar to the Classic Mac OS in some ways, but in most ways it's a brand new beast. The biggest "moaners and whiners" about learning Mac OS X are actually, in fact, typically the hard-core Classic Mac OS users, not the hard-core Windows users!

One place I recommend new users to visit is X vs. XP. This site gives a thorough side-by-side rundown of Mac OS X and Windows XP. Its original purpose is not necessarily to educate new users, but in reading the comparisons of the two operating systems, I find that the site is a fantastic learning tool.

Of course, AppleInsider's own Mac OS X forum has a plethora of information for you. We have a number of experts round here that will be more than willing to try answering any question regardless of how simple or difficult it may seem. Keep in mind, though, that you aren't the first switcher to visit AppleInsider and that you might just as easily find your answers by using the search feature.

It sounds like the iBook is just the kind of Apple computer you're needing. I hope you enjoy it and share any new experiences and questions with us here at AppleInsider.

Cheers!

Brad
  • Reply 6 of 25
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Considering I've been a PC person for... well... about 20 years now (since my mid teens)... my biggest concern was learning the OS... I know Windows inside and out (well... as much as someone can know Windows inside and out)... so I've always been able to fix problems and get everything exactly the way it should be.... I guess OS X will be a learning experience... [snip]

Yea, it shouldn't take too long to unlearn all those quirky things you have to do with Windows, like rebooting every time you tweak a setting!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Welcome to AI, and more importantly, welcome to Macintosh.

Apple anticipated your transition and has a section of their website designed to help.

It provides how-to advice, FAQ pages and links to resources that may assist you.

< /switcher welcome wagon mode >

On top of what you may read there, I can suggest a few more things to consider for initial activities.

Modern Lithium-Ion batteries are supposed to be 'memory-free' in charge state (doesn't misdiagnose 100%) .

That said, most users are advised to 'break in' the battery with complete charge/discharge cycles.

By running it from full charge all the way down to the point where it won't wake anymore

(set screen bright, dvd playing, no sleep mode, then when it finally sleeps, wake and squeeze more)

you will help condition the battery to properly detect its maximum and minimum.

Do this for the first few charge cycles and you'll likely get more usable lifespan (and juice) out of it.

Your machine will operate just fine without this step, but some consider it preventative maintenance.

On the theory that forewarned is forearmed, but not pessimistically Popeye,

AI's own Genius Bar has a Troubleshooting FAQ,

but I post it mainly as FYI, because problems should be rare.

Asking questions here will usually get you valuable help once you learn not to feed the trolls.

Enjoy your new iBook. (Wirelessly and with gobs of RAM, right?)
  • Reply 8 of 25
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i found when going from a PC to a Mac, the first 3 - 6 months were the hardest. i'd had a lot of time to learn how things worked on a PC, and of course it's different on a Mac. in anycase, what i found was that i was always trying too hard to make it do stuff.

when i just started asking myself (what would be the really, really easy way to do this?) i found the Mac started making a lot more sense.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Another thing (at least until you pick up a 2-button mouse ), to simulate a right-click, hold down the CTRL key when clicking the mouse. Alternatively you can hold down the mouse button, but using CTRL is much faster and (kinda) easy to incorporate into your computing workflow.

Welcome to the world of Apple! <Jethro voice> Set back and stay a spell! </Jethro Voice>
  • Reply 10 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My parents had a major learning curve when converting to OS X from Classic OS 9 (The best analogy is to think of that version as Windows 3.1.1 before 95 was released...though it's a loose comparison). My dad cursed the machine many times, even threatening to take it back or just give it to me. I was the good son, however, and told him to stick with it. I held their hands through the process and now they wouldn't give the Macs up for the world. They love the iLife suite (pictures of the nephews are always popular iPhoto material) and their "conversion" is complete.

Like has been said before, give it time. It WILL be kind of difficult at first. Just remember this: Keep it simple. If you think the computer should be able to do something, it probably can. Try out what seems to be the most logical way of doing something and if that doesn't work ask here or check one of the many links above. And don't forget about the Help menu. It's really very helpful and intuitive.

One thing to also remember is to let the OS do its thing. It has a logical plan as to how to sort your documents, pictures, music, etc. Unless you really, really can't stand where something is (such as your iTunes Music Library), just leave it there. I say this because my mom totally frieked when she moved all her iTunes Music somewhere else and next time she opened the application it was all gone.

To answer your original question -- I almost forgot -- you did make a good purchase. Although there are vastly more PC users than Mac users, the Mac community appreciates and loves their computers way more. There's a reason for that. Apple has taken the time, effort, and devotion to create a computing environment that is a tightly-wound package deal. The hardware and software are of a higher quality (hence the higher price), and Macs are designed to work for you, not make you work at keeping your machine going.

Again, welcome to AI and the Macintosh community. You'll find friends here. Just watch out for Apple Outsider. They can be a bit vicious in there.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Considering I've been a PC person for... well... about 20 years now (since my mid teens)... my biggest concern was learning the OS... I know Windows inside and out (well... as much as someone can know Windows inside and out)... so I've always been able to fix problems and get everything exactly the way it should be....[snip]

Here is the great thing. With OS X, 99 times out of 100 you won't have to "fix things". The OS is rock solid, I've been using X since it came out as a Beta version and I have only had it crash on me 4 times since I started using 10.2 and 10.3 (and yes, I do keep a running count). You'll learn to love Macs quickly and you'll never want to go back to that horrible world of Windows. Welcome to AI and welcome to the Mac! Glad you could join us.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The iBook is a killer deal, if you don't need:

Video out

Audio in

DVD-R

Other than those (and some small amount of motherboard speed), they're basically the same beast.

I think ya did good. My wife *LOVES* her iBook G3, and she's been a longtime Mac user.

well, you have come to a forum of mac users, so of course we all say you made a great decision, since we all know & love macs. for what it is worth, i was a windows admin for years and switched fields and computers, and now, about 1.5 years later, i cannot stand being anywhere near windows, its shortcuts, shortcomings, and general suckiness.

get a two-button mouse and learn the keyboard shortcuts. one of the biggest for me was to know that command+left or command+right replaces what windows uses the home and end keys for.

oh, as to why i quoted the above. you can by something called iMic (i think) from griffin that will give you an audio in...i have one and it works fine.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Considering I've been a PC person for... well... about 20 years now (since my mid teens)... my biggest concern was learning the OS... I know Windows inside and out (well... as much as someone can know Windows inside and out)... so I've always been able to fix problems and get everything exactly the way it should be.... I guess OS X will be a learning experience... I'm glad I've got some positive input on the iBook. I've read alot of comments on the previous generation of iBooks... most were not so hot... I haven't seen many comments on the latest generation.

Joey,

welcome. really, it's always nice to hear this kind of story. i've always been a 'mac guy' but am thoroughly versed in all things windows too. i find my time using a mac much more enjoyable, and i often forget about the fact that i'm using a computer. basically, once you're used to the mac UI, it seems to disappear, letting you just get things done.

also, keep in mind that AI is home to many of the most fanatical mac lovers, and as such, is home to many of the biggest whiners (no offense to AI, but we all tend to expect 200% from apple). for instance, i know about 10-15 people who own various iBook G3's, and none of them have ever had a problem. i've owned two G4 PB's, and managed all the macs for a mid-sized college, and never had any "hot lap" problems.

so, are there real problems out there? of course. but often they are far less common, and far less critical than many people "in the community" make them out to be.

again, welcome, good luck, and please feel free to ask if you have any questions or problems. AI can be a great resource.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i tihnk you made a wise purchase. if you dont need power, the 12 inch ibook is perfect.

It's mighty powerful, if yer askin' mah!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    After sitting in my office for about 5 hours... then a subway trip... then a train trip to get home... I was anxious to get the little guy out and running. Fortunately I have a Mac expert living with me. I like to learn everything from trial and error (I think ya remember stuff much better when you work through it on your own vs. someone just telling you). I like the OS quite a bit. I've been trying to find a "consumer friendly" alternative to XP for a while... I've tried several flavors of Linux (including Lindows)... all of which worked OK... but I found that I preferred XP for usability. I think the integration of OS X with Apple's hardware is a major plus... They make the OS and the hardware... so they work together perfectly. I don't have to try to find drivers for the built in video, ethernet, keyboard, etc... (unlike a Wintel notebook... after you install the OS... you have to install all the drivers for all the components... if you can find them). It's going to take some getting used to not having a registry to deal with. I'm so conditioned to going through so many areas to get rid of stuff left after an uninstall in Windows (I'm sort of a system "neat freak"... I guess that goes back to the days when we had very limited drive space and memory and I'd be looking for ways to optimize memory... closing programs... making sure there wasn't stuff on the drive I didn't need). I find myself looking forward to getting home after work today to play around some more. I had looked at getting a small Wintel notebook... but I couldn't find anything nearly as good of a value... plus it wouldn't have been much fun... It would still be XP. I like playing around with OS X. Granted... I was hoping that Apple would port OS X over to x86... but it's anyone's guess if that would ever happen. So I'm just starting to learn this stuff... I'm glad the support here is so extensive (and friendly) !
  • Reply 16 of 25
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think you made a wonderful choice. The iBooks are great computers and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Enjoy it, and welcome to the club!

• Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

[B... X vs. XP. [/B]

nice read, - just posted the link to a friend, who is just considering buying a mac. he is sort of oldschool windowsICUS, so he is biased at its worst. So i am

best
  • Reply 18 of 25
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    My iBook G3 was one of the best computers I've ever owned. It was without doubt the best laptop that I've ever owned. Great little thing.

I think as soon as you open up the box, unwrap it and start pottering around in OS X, you'll start to see why Macs have such a loyal following.

They're very 'human friendly', and delight at every turn.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I agree -- my iBook G3 is the best computer, overall, that I've ever owned. It's 18 months old, and still the only reason I'm going to replace it is that I want a laptop with a bigger screen.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    welcome to the world of apple