AppleInsider's Degrees of Separation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's the deal. Each person should post an association they have with someone who is ONE degree of separation from the previous acquaintence (unless YOU are one degree away). For the sake of making this easier, we should try to keep our associations to "celebrities" such as musicians, singers, actors, politicians, etc.

So do you know this person, or know a celebrity to has met or been somehow associated with this person? Don't feel like you can only reply to the last post in the thread. If you are associated with someone higher up, just reply to that post and put your association. I hope this works. \

I'll start: I know Tyler Banks, winner of MTV's Wade Robson Project.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I'm pretty good friends with the head Guitar Tech ("roadie") for my favorite band... the world's greatest live rock & roll band, the "best unknown band in the world" (according to Rolling Stone in the late 1980's). Of course I'm talking about The Radiators (who could also be considerec celebs in their own right). They have several Epic Record albums on iTMS - click and do some free previewing if you've never heard them.

Last weekend, they celebrated their 26th Anniversary (only Los Lobos has been around longer as a major label American band with all their original members).

As part of the celebration (and taping for a DVD, and an HDTV special on the High Definition Network), a certain rock legend named Gregg Allman sat in for half a set (I was 3 feet from the stage... ).

Anyway, my friend tells me that Gregg borrowed his little glass combustion implement backstage, and never returned it......

"Dude, Gregg Allman stole my bowl!"

• Reply 2 of 35
    errr.. wait... you were looking for someone who would know Tyler or Wade (Britney Spears, Justin, NSYNC "Super-choreographer"), or someone who knows someone who knows them?

Sorry, even if I did, I don't think I'd admit to it... but whatever gets yer groove on, man!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Wait. So, I am two degrees from the Dalai Lama. I met someone who knows him. But... you're looking to do some sort of chain?

How about this - I know this guy who knows "Tyler Banks" from MTV. He posts at a forum I visit.

I am confused. Who is Tyler Banks anyway?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Soooo, hi.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Yes, you will get more action in AO.

Also, you may have noticed a bit of confusion about your whole premise. I think anything within 1 degree of celebrity is good.

If you are waiting for someone who knows your pop-music dancing friend (not that there is anything wrong with that), I think it's going to be a loooong wait. Even in AO.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup.

Of course, I'm three links from Hussein...

A guest at our wedding is a humanitarian aid organizer who met with Aziz, the PM of Iraq just prior to GulfWarII.

(Gist: Aziz said "No, sorry, our troops get the food, water, and money." Rev. Buchanan actually supported a military ouster after that meeting after years of activism against such. *sigh*)
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Moving to AppleOutsider!
  • Reply 8 of 35
    where did this come from?

• Reply 9 of 35
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have practiced Ski with a former french minister of ecology, and now currently he is commissioner in EU. I am sure that nobody here know him

I was perhaps 14 at this time. He was a great friend of one of our greateast friend of our family, unfortunately she died some years ago.

At the time i was a little shy, and he give me an adivce : when you talk to people always look them in their eyes. At this time, it was a good adivice.

When i skied one day with him, he shaked the hands of every people : i came to the conclusion that it was not a job for me.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Wait. So, I am two degrees from the Dalai Lama. I met someone who knows him.

Me too! 8) My parents met him on a reception when he visited our city a few years ago.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    I can't say I'm connected to any of the people previously stated, but I can throw some new people out here.

My uncle was Tom Ridge's college roommate for four years (that idiot who is currently in control of the US "National Security"). Hoo boy have I heard stories about Ridge in college!

My aunt was Carlie Simon's college roommate for one year. That side of the family seems to know everyone.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Chang and Eng, the 'original' Siamese twins, married into my wife's family here in NC.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    My family is related directly to the Hapsburgs of Austria..though we come from the poor side of the throne.. sigh

Couldn't even claim a bucket to piss in.

Dammm..

Now I am forced to earn a crust like the rest of you vassals...:

Aqua D
  • Reply 14 of 35
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My dad fought Bobby Clarke a few times while playing hockey for The Pas Huskies in Manitoba. Clarke was playing for the Flin Flon Bombers. Every game was good for at least a few line brawls.

Good old time hockey.

• Reply 15 of 35
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    A good friend of mine is Matt Damon's cousin.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [Edit - almost missed this]

Quote:

from Murbot:

My dad fought Bobby Clarke a few times while playing hockey for The Pas Huskies in Manitoba. Clarke was playing for the Flin Flon Bombers. Every game was good for at least a few line brawls.

ANNOUNCEMENT: MURBOT'S DAD IS OFFICIALLY MY HERO. There will be no taking of Murbot's Dad's name in vain, and no slanderous words shall be uttered in his general direction. Anyone who beats on Bob Clarke is A-OK in my book! The only thing better would be if he had beat on Pat Quinn too.

As for me: I met Danny Glover once. This is a puny thing in comparison to Murbot's Dad's great accomplishments obviously, but I had to post something.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    One of my relatives who lives in Italy once dated a somewhat aristocratic woman named Rosana Rosanda. My dad thinks her name was the basis for Gilda Radner's "Rosanne Rosanadana" character on Saturday Night Live, although the actual person and the character have nothing in common.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Lots of people, among them William Jennings Bryan was a relative , one of my ancestors played in John Phillip Sousa's band. I know a lot of somewhat well-known politicians.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    My golf teacher (and my mom's) when i was a teenager was Butch Harmon, who also gave lessons to the Shah of Iran, and now helps some guy named Tiger.

My uncle was Johnny Carson's fraternity father at University of Nebraska.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My boss was in Annie Hall.

My grandmother went on a date with Donald Trump's father back in the day.